Dreger: Xavier Ouellet to be bought out

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Welcome to Montreal.

Or should I rather say “bienvenue à Montréal”

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That next step in his skating never came. Smart player, good effort, but he is a bottom pairing #7 guy. I really like Ouellet, I hope he can find something, he has Top 4 hockey IQ and abilities but just hasn't been able to put it together because of his skating in my opinion though I have hope he can be a bottom pairing PK guy the Wings have Ericsson blocking that. Really tough year for him professionally and personally but he always was willing to talk and effort was never an issue. Wish him the best.

Reactions: LarKing

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Bergevin be like:
H2D7DCO.gif

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
But , at the same time, he'd really be our #2 d. Offensive dman to play with Weber. No one else wants to sign here. We have no depth, and have drafted, traded, developed terribly for 10 years.

So you think Ouellet is better than Petry, Mete, Reilly, Benn, Alzner, Juulsen and Schlemko? Do you have any other impressive hockey knowledges like that you would like to share ?

Reactions: Nevins

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
So you think Ouellet is better than Petry, Mete, Reilly, Benn, Alzner, Juulsen and Schlemko? Do you have any other impressive hockey knowledges like that you would like to share ?
You're right. Schlemko, Alzner , benn are amazing. Two are replaceable 6d vets. One is a buyout candidate. Reilly, highly hyped ncaa ufa signing, hasn't proven anything more than ouellet . Mete was rushed into the role of #2. Perhaps he'll develop into something. He doesn't have much of a shot , but skates well. Petry is needed on the second pairing . Juulsen hasn't played much in two years because of concussions and other injuries. Doesn't seem to have tremendous upside, but should crack a weak top 6. Ouellet was an offensive D for our hometown Montreal Juniors, playing alongside Louis Leblanc. See, I have lots of hockey knowledge, glad you asked. I still love the team, and will never cheer for anyone else; I'm a Montrealer . But I'm not drinking the koolaid.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
You're right. Schlemko, Alzner , benn are amazing. Two are replaceable 6d vets. One is a buyout candidate. Reilly, highly hyped ncaa ufa signing, hasn't proven anything more than ouellet . Mete was rushed into the role of #2. Perhaps he'll develop into something. He doesn't have much of a shot , but skates well. Petry is needed on the second pairing . Juulsen hasn't played much in two years because of concussions and other injuries. Doesn't seem to have tremendous upside, but should crack a weak top 6. Ouellet was an offensive D for our hometown Montreal Juniors, playing alongside Louis Leblanc. See, I have lots of hockey knowledge, glad you asked. I still love the team, and will never cheer for anyone else; I'm a Montrealer . But I'm not drinking the koolaid.

So you stand by your opinion that Ouellet is better than Petry, Mete, Reilly, Benn, Alzner, Juulsen and Schlemko?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
#7...or #2 on mtl. Our 2-7 are completely interchangeable.

Our D is far from good but I feel this undervalues:

Weber (Top pairing D)
Petry (Top 4D)
Mete (Potential Top4D)
Juulsen (Potential Top4/6D)

As they are clearly a cut above (in terms of career trajectory, skill and fit for the way today's game is being played):

Rielly
Alzner
Schlemko
Benn

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
You know, if XO is availible, Preds would trade their 7th D man Anthony Bitetto for him.
Or might just make a claim, better than Bitetto

Last edited by a moderator:

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
At best he can develop into #4 guy. Most likely a 5-6th guy who can be a solid bottom pair d-man if paired with the right guy. Paired with the wrong guy, it will be a mess. Basically don't pair with just a offensive defenseman, won't pan out as Ouellet don't have that much physical force in his game. A simple but possibly solid bottom guy.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Why would the Wings buy him out? Do they need the cap space (I don't think they'd be freeing up all that much) or contract spot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad