NFL: Xavien Howard requests a trade

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Oh f*** off with this BS

You signed a 5 yr / $75.25M deal with $39.2M guaranteed and a signing bonus of $7M
And your set to earn $12.075M this year + 25K workout bonus

If you want a new contract just say so and drop the bullshit about how you signed a contract that was unfair to you or that you didn't understand in 2018

You were more then happy with nearly 40M guaranteed and signing bonus at time so dont pretend it was some f***ing injustice or team taking advantage of you

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah I'm gonna have to disagree with him here. When that deal was signed in 2018, it made him the highest paid corner in football. I'd argue that's showing how much you respect and value him especially given his injury history. Good reason too because X earned every damn penny of that initial extension.

I respect guys trying to get the bag but if you're gonna do that, at least don't lie about how the organization treated you, man.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I wouldn't say he was treated poorly far from it, but people need to remember he's gunning for an extension when his value is at its absolute highest. He has an opt-out clause in 2022 and wants a pay-raise to guarantee he won't use it since the open market will get it. I understand wanting that but saying he was treated poorly is certainly a lie.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I wouldn't say he was treated poorly far from it, but people need to remember he's gunning for an extension when his value is at its absolute highest. He has an opt-out clause in 2022 and wants a pay-raise to guarantee he won't use it since the open market will get it. I understand wanting that but saying he was treated poorly is certainly a lie.

I dont think anyone will disagree with you.

If he comes out and says "I want a new contract or trade me" no one bats an eye. Standard procedure and as I said i have no problems with guys trying to get more money for how fast their careers and post playing life can be altered.

However, him going "I want a new contract because this team mistreated me!" just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. His teammates, his coaches, the organization, etc.

Shit guys like LeVeon Bell didn't even play that card when they were trying to get the bag

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I dont think anyone will disagree with you.

If he comes out and says "I want a new contract or trade me" no one bats an eye. Standard procedure and as I said i have problems with guys trying to get more money for how fast their careers and post playing life can be altered.

However, him going "I want a new contract because this team mistreated me!" just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. His teammates, his coaches, the organization, etc.

Shit guys like LeVeon Bell didn't even play that card when they were trying to get the bag
I agree. If you want a new deal just say it. Obviously some guys will say he’s greedy but that’s the reality of the nfl contract. He would be a $16 mill dead cap on Miami if they cut him. But in 2022 it’s a minimal charge if anything against the cap if they part ways with him.

that’s how nfl contracts work. Once you pass the point of the guaranteed money, you are basically on a year by year deal despite having 2-3 years left on paper. Once a team decides to move off you they cut you and say goodbye. And often they don’t cut you til after the draft to secure your replacement first leaving you to find a deal when most teams have spent their salary cap space.

I had no issue with Earl Thomas giving Pete the middle finger when he got carted off. Didn’t get a new deal or a trade to another team that would give him a deal. It’s a business. Players need to take care of themselves.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

The stars will get what they want

Players want guaranteed money. They never like to be in a position where the team can cut them. Doesn’t really matter to them what their base salary is.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Can't say i agree with how he went about it, but there's no issues with guys wanting to secure the bag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad