Boston Bruins X-Rumors, Trade Proposals, Speculation, etc.. (rumors must have recognized source/link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Flyers are now 5-9-1 in their last 15 games with a -27 goal differential. Could be a team to keep an eye on. I know they are in some rumors for Ekholm or something bigger, but if they can' t do something soon and continue to struggle they might turn to sellers. Right now they sit 3 points behind us and 2 points ahead of the Rangers who are 6-3-1 in their last 10 games. Here is how many games PHI has against the rest of the division, along with their h2h record and goal diff

Team
Games Left
20-21 H2H
Goal Diff
Boston Bruins​
3​
0-3-2​
-12​
Buffalo Sabres​
1​
5-2-0​
+1​
New Jersey Devils​
5​
2-1-0​
+3​
New York Islanders​
3​
3-1-1​
-3​
New York Rangers​
2​
3-2-1​
-12​
Pittsburgh Penguins​
3​
3-2-0​
+3​
Washington Capitals​
4​
1-3-0​
-2​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Not an easy road for PHI by any means. Their games leading up to the TDL:

NYI
BOS
BOS
NYI
BOS
BUF

^Actually not hard to imagine that PHI could become sellers real fast if things don't improve. The guy I like (although IDK if they'd move him) is JVR.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
it’s been my experience around here that the posters who like players like Miles Wood don’t have much time for data but here you go.

Some of his numbers are skewed by a heavy defensive deployment but for his career the devils score roughly 40% of the goals that happen when he’s on the ice including a ghastly 12gf 19ga spread this year. That’s backed up by a career xG% of roughly 45% (though its neutral this season skewed sharply by his performances against the bruins). This season the devils are neutral in scoring chances with him on the ice which is a vast improvement from his career 46%. They have regularly given up more chances, high danger chances, goals and expected goals with him on the ice and his line mates have better relative numbers with him off the ice.

the guy looks flashy but there isn’t much of an argument that he’s any good or has much of a positive tangible effect on his team. You could argue his deployment yields low chances for percentages and you’d be right but that doesn’t mean different deployment would change anything. He’s loud, not all that good.
You're correct I'm one who doesn't care for the data but in this case you've interpreted them for me in a way that I can assimilate it into my opinion of KP. I wasn't convinced that he'd make a difference before reading this but after, I'm very reluctant to want him here. The cost though is probably the deciding factor. Why do I get the feeling that he could be this years version of Nick Ritchie?
He comes here and has a neutral affect on the team and we're all disappointed again except those of us who saw it coming like yourself.
This team needs an infusion of offensive talent to advance in the playoffs and judging from the numbers he is not that.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Now that Gostisbehere cleared waivers I wonder if they make a play for him. Moore for Gostisbehere and a mid round pick could make some sense for both teams. Philly gets the cap space they're looking for (and can put Moore on LTIR for the year if they get to the max), the Bruins get a puck moving LHD to put with Carlo at the expense of cap space. And they get a pick for helping out a rival team.

Might be a good way to upgrade the defense on the cheap and keep assets for a forward.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Now that Gostisbehere cleared waivers I wonder if they make a play for him. Moore for Gostisbehere and a mid round pick could make some sense for both teams. Philly gets the cap space they're looking for (and can put Moore on LTIR for the year if they get to the max), the Bruins get a puck moving LHD to put with Carlo at the expense of cap space. And they get a pick for helping out a rival team.

Might be a good way to upgrade the defense on the cheap and keep assets for a forward.
Unless the player that the Flyers are trying to clear space for is the same player that the Bruins are eyeing. Then, the Bruins would be helping them to grab that player, so pass.

Reactions: JOKER 192 and kjpm

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Why is that? Because I think Barkov is a better all around player than Pasta?

And for those wondering why I keep Marchand over Pasta....Marchand is far more valuable to this team than Pasta is. Brings much more to the table.
Pasta will not be traded.

Reactions: TCB

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Unless the player that the Flyers are trying to clear space for is the same player that the Bruins are eyeing. Then, the Bruins would be helping them to grab that player, so pass.

If Philly got Ekholm out of this I would rage :laugh: I suspect they're looking for a goalie so they can spell Hart and build his confidence back. But yeah it'd be risky!

Reactions: Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Do the Bruins have enough cap space to accommodate that?

I don't know to be honest.....several weeks ago Dom posted that they were going to be in a good cap position at the deadline and I've kind of continued to assume that is the case.

I mean, I'm sure the B's would need to send salary out and maybe SJ would have to retain some of Vlasic's, but maybe there would be a way.

Vlasic and Meier combine for 13 million --- maybe SJ would take JDB, Kuraly (UFA) and Clifton (about 6 million) a pick/prospect and retain 3 million of Vlasic's contract.

The B's would add 4 million. SJ would save 4 million and get out from under Vlasic's contract.

Won't happen of course, but at least for the short term with Vlasic and longer term with Meier, those are two guys who could help.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
If Philly got Ekholm out of this I would rage :laugh: I suspect they're looking for a goalie so they can spell Hart and build his confidence back. But yeah it'd be risky!

Philly is brutal on defense...that's a bigger gap. IMO, Hart should be able to turn it around...they have good enough offense to compete with anyone in the division...there defense, is Buffalo bad.

Reactions: kjpm

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
TSN Trade Bait: David Savard takes top spot as Nashville Predators push for playoffs - TSN.ca

Only a few guys who moves the needle for me.

Foligno... I dont care how many left-wingers the Bruins have, you can always find room for a Foligno
Rakell.... He's an offensive weapon, exactly what the Bruins need.
Hall....... Im not paying a Kings ransom but he's worth a chance and he has something to prove if he wants big money because if he doesn't produce in Boston, where will he produce.

Ekholm, would be another guy but I don't see a snowball chance in hell, that Nashville unloads him now.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

“They get it,” coach Bruce Cassidy said. “It’s been discussed before — that they will be together at times, probably situational. When we’re completely healthy, we’ll use them in offensive blue line situations, maybe at the end of the period. Or when we’re down late in a game. They’ll certainly always see some time together. But as for permanent partners, when (Brandon) Carlo’s in and (Kevan) Miller’s in and (Jeremy Lauzon) at the start of the year, we liked the way they were set up.”
The split is a shame. The two are thick as thieves, dating back to their 2015-16 partnership at Boston University. It is telling that Grzelcyk, who stands 5-foot-9 and 174 pounds, logged his lone NHL fight when he challenged Zach Hyman for dropping his partner.
The wrinkle would be if the Bruins acquire a three-zone left-shot defenseman, their most urgent need. If Mattias Ekholm, for example, became a Bruin, Cassidy would feel freer to put the 30-year-old next to Carlo and reunite McAvoy and Grzelcyk. Ekholm would be a safety valve for Carlo, whose strengths are stoutness and positioning, not puck transportation.
The Bruins would then have two robust pairs. Lauzon and Jakub Zboril would fight it out for shifts on the No. 3 pairing. Because of circumstances this season, it’s where both youngsters may belong.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Philly is brutal on defense...that's a bigger gap. IMO, Hart should be able to turn it around...they have good enough offense to compete with anyone in the division...there defense, is Buffalo bad.

Philly terrible at defense but good at offense. Bruins bad on offense and good on defense. Would make a good trade partner. Too bad they're in the same division fighting for the same playoff spot. Maybe they fall totally out of contention and it won't matter to them anymore.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Right, it wasn't that your idea wasn't a good one, it was a good one. If the Flyers weren't almost direct competition IOW if they were a western team I'd feel more comfortable in it.
I still think Ghost can be coached out of his on ice issues but I'm also NO expert. If there's one thing the Bruins know how to do is coach and nurture defensemen.

Reactions: kjpm and TCB

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Philly terrible at defense but good at offense. Bruins bad on offense and good on defense. Would make a good trade partner. Too bad they're in the same division fighting for the same playoff spot. Maybe they fall totally out of contention and it won't matter to them anymore.

Only 1 player on Philly interests me - Konecny.

I'll only see him in a Bruins jersey in nhl2021

Reactions: Bodit9

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

“They get it,” coach Bruce Cassidy said. “It’s been discussed before — that they will be together at times, probably situational. When we’re completely healthy, we’ll use them in offensive blue line situations, maybe at the end of the period. Or when we’re down late in a game. They’ll certainly always see some time together. But as for permanent partners, when (Brandon) Carlo’s in and (Kevan) Miller’s in and (Jeremy Lauzon) at the start of the year, we liked the way they were set up.”
The split is a shame. The two are thick as thieves, dating back to their 2015-16 partnership at Boston University. It is telling that Grzelcyk, who stands 5-foot-9 and 174 pounds, logged his lone NHL fight when he challenged Zach Hyman for dropping his partner.
The wrinkle would be if the Bruins acquire a three-zone left-shot defenseman, their most urgent need. If Mattias Ekholm, for example, became a Bruin, Cassidy would feel freer to put the 30-year-old next to Carlo and reunite McAvoy and Grzelcyk. Ekholm would be a safety valve for Carlo, whose strengths are stoutness and positioning, not puck transportation.
The Bruins would then have two robust pairs. Lauzon and Jakub Zboril would fight it out for shifts on the No. 3 pairing. Because of circumstances this season, it’s where both youngsters may belong.

Fluto has raised his game I see.

Reactions: Oates2Neely and TCB

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Only 1 player on Philly interests me - Konecny.

I'll only see him in a Bruins jersey in nhl2021
Unless we give up someone like Carlo, and we might even have to add, I think Philly would hang up the phone if we asked about Konecny. Konecny would be a great fit here. He plays his ass off every shift and gets under the skin of the opponents. The fans would love him.

Last edited:

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Right, it wasn't that your idea wasn't a good one, it was a good one. If the Flyers weren't almost direct competition IOW if they were a western team I'd feel more comfortable in it.
I still think Ghost can be coached out of his on ice issues but I'm also NO expert. If there's one thing the Bruins know how to do is coach and nurture defensemen.

Yep, I do think he would be a good fit for Carlo with this coaching staff but I'm a little wary of the contract and helping out a rival. Definitely wouldn't take it on for free but something mutually beneficial might make sense.

I'm not super concerned with Philly this year though, they have some massive issues defensively, more than a single addition is going to solve. They probably don't have the appetite to sell but man, they've got some problems. I'd look for some new coaches before looking to add players if I was Fletcher.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Unless we give up someone like Carlo, and we might even have to add, I think Philly would hang up the phone if we asked about Konecny. Konecny would be a great fit here. He plays his ass of every shift and gets under the skin of the opponents. The fans would love him.

Agreed.

It would be a solid hockey trade...but we'd then have a major gap on defense.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Unless we give up someone like Carlo, and we might even have to add, I think Philly would hang up the phone if we asked about Konecny. Konecny would be a great fit here. He plays his ass off every shift and gets under the skin of the opponents. The fans would love him.
Yup.

I never seen him not give it his all. I mean I only watch their games here and there or when they play the Bruins, but he seems to always bring it, that's why I was surprised when Vigneault sat him earlier this year.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Yep, I do think he would be a good fit for Carlo with this coaching staff but I'm a little wary of the contract and helping out a rival. Definitely wouldn't take it on for free but something mutually beneficial might make sense.

I'm not super concerned with Philly this year though, they have some massive issues defensively, more than a single addition is going to solve. They probably don't have the appetite to sell but man, they've got some problems. I'd look for some new coaches before looking to add players if I was Fletcher.

Clode?

Reactions: RustyBruins72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->