X-box-one vs PS4 questions

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
The only exclusive on either system that's truly great and worth buying a console for is Bloodborne.

Hearty lol at the Uncharted 4 being the best game in 30 years comment.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
If you like MLB games, go with the PS4. The show is fantastic

Agreed. this was the deciding factor for me as I switched from xbox to sony this generation. The Show is that good, and there isn't anything on Xbox. All the other sports games are the same, although I guess you can get early access on Xbox to EA games.

we have loads of good family games too. as my son plays a bunch

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I was real big on my PS4 over my X1 for quite awhile.

I haven't turned it on in weeks, while I've been using my X1 daily (granted, only to play a match or two of Smite...haven't done much console gaming since I upgraded the PC). I really like all the backward compatible stuff X1 is adding, and I like the UI and controller much better.

I do think that PS4 has the better exclusives. Don't play many kids games so I can't really speak to that piece.

All-Star

Jul 14, 2003
Snake Mountain
Visit site
Going from PC to console, you can expect a bit of a learning curve in getting used to the controller. Aside from that, both machines are fine for the casual gamer. Just buy whatever is on sale...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If you like MLB games, go with the PS4. The show is fantastic

The Show was a system-seller for me and definitely puts the PS4 ahead of the XBone when it comes to sports games in my eyes.

That said if you don't care about baseball at all...EA Access is only on the XBone and is a phenomenal deal, so...yeah.

PS4 has Uncharted 4 - the best game in 30 years.

Therefore, get a ps4

Hyperbole helps no one.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Only real difference I think that will matter to OP is Xbox EA Access which is a great service for sports games vs PS4 which has MLB the Show which in my opinion is the best sports game on the market.

Besides NBA 2k which isn't on EA Access so boils down to which he would value more the EA Access or MLB.

Rechargeable battery in controllers vs AA batteries.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
I think I have made my choice and that is the PS4. After looking at the lists of games most of the XB1 games are on PC anyhow, and the ones that are not do not interest me anyhow. PS4 has MLB The Show (that I am really excited for) and some exclusives that also interest me. Now to find a decent price on a used system, hopefully with several games.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Would highly recommend playing Furi if you're looking at exclusives

Its a mish mash of a shoot 'em up, hack and slash, boss rush game. Insanely challenging.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
MLB the show was one of the reasons i switched over.

had a ps2, then xbox360, now back to ps4.

Final fantasy/Metal gear series were the ones that usedto push me to PS side but those games are now available for both consoles.

Uncharted series was really good. But IMO isn't strong enough to push you over from one console to another. MLB is a different story. There isnt a baseball game that even comes close to touching The Show

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Final fantasy/Metal gear series were the ones that usedto push me to PS side but those games are now available for both consoles.
Well, one game.

If you actually want to play every metal gear game start to finish ps3 or 360 is still the best option since it ported Metal Gear Solid 1 (gamecube remake included I think), 2, 3, and Peace Walker (PSP) into HD as well as having 4 and 5.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
MLB the show was one of the reasons i switched over.

had a ps2, then xbox360, now back to ps4.

Uncharted series was really good. But IMO isn't strong enough to push you over from one console to another. MLB is a different story. There isnt a baseball game that even comes close to touching The Show

Wonder how many consoles are sold just off MLB being the deal breaker. I see this quite a bit online - and absolutely worth it because it's such a good game. It'd be like if NBA 2k was only on Xbox.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Nest question. If I were to buy a used PS4 (or XB1) and it comes with games how do the codes and id work? Remember I have been strictly PC so games can not be traded or sold (tied to an account - Steam/Origin whatever). Sorry for noob questions.

As well, if I were to choose a PS3 (they are much cheaper used), do the new PS4 games either work on the PS3 or are there PS3 versions of PS4 games. Graphics are not much of an issue (I understand previous versions of the console would be lower) - it is for a 5-year old (although I will probably use it more anyhow :) ).

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Physical games will work in whatever PS4 you put them in. A used console isn't going to come with anything digital on it because presumably whoever is selling it would be smart enough to wipe the hard drive. Here is a guide:

PS4 games don't work on PS3, because that would eliminate the need for anybody to actually buy a PS4. A handful of PS4 games get PS3 versions, but not as much anymore. Even The Show cut off PS3 support this year.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I have had both since I bought PS3 and Xbox 360, I always find myself using my Xbox One way more than my PS4.

I have always had both but always used PS more. I don't think there's a real big difference in them despite the fan wars just a matter of what you get used to.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I agree that there isn't a huge difference, outside of a handful of exclusives the main difference to my understanding is 900p vs 1080p (they usually perform about the same fps), but on the flipside ps plus games are hostageware as they say. You don't get to play them when your subscription games which to my knowledge you do with Xbox

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I have always had both but always used PS more. I don't think there's a real big difference in them despite the fan wars just a matter of what you get used to.

Pretty much. I enjoy the DS4 more, and despise the Xbox menus, so I usually play my PS4, but I bought Skyrim on Xbox for the extra mods and you forget which console you're playing pretty quickly. The Show is one of the like 3 games a year I buy though, so I couldn't live with just an xbox

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Ds4 is probably the worst controller I've ever owned

Battery is abysmal, and most people I talk to say they rotate to their second controller in one Netflix session let alone gaming session

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
I really did not want to this turn into a peeing contest, and in some ways it has.

1. I have a gaming computer so no need for cross platform games to PC

2. I love sports games and (MLB the Show - Baseball is my faviourte sport ) is begining to be by turning point.

3. It needs to be kid friendly

4. I do not or ever will care about multi-player

5. RPGs are my main entertainment from games. - and with a constricted time frame I play on easy nearly all the time - so games like Dark Souls and stuff are out of the question..

6.. A question that I have not gotten an answer to is how transferring games from user to user, system to system works.

7. Perhaps Nintendo system? They just look so, I do not know the word, behind the times???

And yes I know i should just go drag my gaming computer out of my house, but once I start moving the big stuff there is no turning back/things turn permanent (when there is still a chance of reconciling) - also it weights over 125lbs. And yes, I should be thinking about other things than gaming at this moment but I still need something).

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Not a peeing contest at all. I own a PS4. Just mentioning some negatives

If you're talking about digital games

I believe there is game sharing with one person if you set someone else's ps4 to your primary ps4. But this means that if you're playing offline you can only use their games.

Each purchase is tied to a specific account. If you're not on your primary ps4 you need to be logged into that account (with all the purchases) to play any of your games

As for trading digital games, there is none

If you mean transferring from one hard drive to another. No clue, can't help you there

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Not a peeing contest at all. I own a PS4. Just mentioning some negatives

If you're talking about digital games

I believe there is game sharing with one person if you set someone else's ps4 to your primary ps4. But this means that if you're playing offline you can only use their games.

Each purchase is tied to a specific account. If you're not on your primary ps4 you need to be logged into that account (with all the purchases) to play any of your games

As for trading digital games, there is none

If you mean transferring from one hard drive to another. No clue, can't help you there

Sorry, did not mean anyone in particular as I know the console/PC wars get heated. I am guessing my best bet (although not economically) is to just buy a PS4(new or used and wiped) and just basically start from scratch. That is what I am understanding here. I would be talking about buying a system off of a total stranger if used.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->