WXON Detroit 1/5/1986 Wings pregame

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I love finding things like this on YouTube. The music, the graphics and a much younger Mickey alongside Dave Strader (RIP). Wings would win on this night 6-5 with goals from Yzerman, Ogrodnick, Kocur (2), Probert and Klima. Brad Park would be fired from his only head coaching gig after a 9-34-2 start. Only 6 current Wings were alive when this aired.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Really cool. This was about a year before I first started watching. I think by that point they had moved to channel 50 and ray lane was apart of the show.

I had also forgotten about the passing of strader. I was a big fan of him as a kid and was sad when he left. R.I.P. big guy.

Reactions: Winger98

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I love finding things like this on YouTube. The music, the graphics and a much younger Mickey alongside Dave Strader (RIP). Wings would win on this night 6-5 with goals from Yzerman, Ogrodnick, Kocur (2), Probert and Klima. Brad Park would be fired from his only head coaching gig after a 9-34-2 start. Only 6 current Wings were alive when this aired.

Hopefully this number will go down by TDL 2019

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I love 80s video graphics, revolutionary at the time - laughable now.

80s and cheesy are synonymous.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I was alive but too young to recall at that point. I don't recall seeing any games on channel 20 but I do remember watching games on channel 50 and CBC in the very late 80's.

What sucked about Strader is leaving after 95-96 only to win it all the next year. But Strader and Redmond did call the cup finals together on the non-north American ESPN broadcast. So that had to be pretty cool.

As for the graphics and introductions, the NFL and NBA on CBS from the mid to late 80's were awesome.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I forgot Dave Strader had passed. The guy was the voice of the Wings for me for so long, him and Mick.

He'll always be the voice of the Wings for me. I still feel like Ken Daniels is the new comer.

Forgot Strader passed as well, see you on the other side.

Reactions: Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad