GDT: WWE Wrestlemania 34 (8th April 2018)

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I don't understand Charlotte winning. I know undefeated streaks can become cumbersome and limit what you can do creatively, but it would have been fun to see Asuka carry that for another year and have someone finally top her at WrestleMania next year.
Yes, definitely.

Having the streak end when challenging for a title seems silly. It'd be like if Hogan beat Goldberg at the Georgia Dome. Asuka should've won and then lost the title at SummerSlam or next year's WrestleMania, IMO.

Again, comes down to it being a good match with weird booking.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
That main event was so bad it was good. The fans chanting 'this is awful' while Lesnar did his 17th F5 was hilarious.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Did some source speculate that the main event finish was an audible or is that just fan speculation?

It is certainly the first thought that popped into my head when I read that Brock won.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't understand Charlotte winning. I know undefeated streaks can become cumbersome and limit what you can do creatively, but it would have been fun to see Asuka carry that for another year and have someone finally top her at WrestleMania next year.

I think their thought is that it’s too hard to book 2 undefeated streaks in corresponding women’s divisions, and Vince sees Charlotte has the bigger star of the two. I would’ve main evented survivor series with Asuka/Ronda streak vs. streak. It’s sonething you’ll now never have and could’ve been huge.

Triple H has to be disappointed at least a little bit.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I think the plan is for Ronda vs Charlotte to main event 35 and maybe they sacrificed Asuka’s streak to do so.

It’s the one real question mark I had. I think Asuka should have gone over.

The parallels of how Asuka and Nakamura handled their defeats were interesting. Booked almost identically. Asuka handled it well. Nakamura did not.

Reactions: Virtanen18

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
Too much drinky during the afternoon watching the masters had me asleep by 10. Going to catch up now... sounds like it will be an interesting watch lol.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I think the plan is for Ronda vs Charlotte to main event 35 and maybe they sacrificed Asuka’s streak to do so.

The parallels of how Asuka and Nakamura handled their defeats were interesting. Booked almost identically. Asuka handled it well. Nakamura did not.

I would do Asuka/Charlotte part deux at WM 35. This time Asuka has a title and Charlotte wins the Rumble to take the title from Asuka. I'd do Asuka/Rousey at Survivor Series or at the Rumble.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
She's like the 4th or 5th best female in-ring performer and 8th or 9th best on the mic at the moment. #1 at sticking her chin out and squinting for an entire match.

Charlotte is the clear #1 in ring right now

her character work kinda sucks but shes a better heel

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Thing about Austin is I get his injuries but he was scheduled to wrestle a couple times after...like one match against Vader

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Why would Brock beating Roman be an audible? What could possibly have changed or happened in real time that they weren't aware of in the last...err..4 years.

Reactions: Falco Lombardi

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Charlotte’s booking makes even less sense when you consider Nattie beat her just 2 weeks ago. Obviously, we’re all supposed to be too stupid to remember that. They did a post-match like it was the end of some epic rivalry that it wasn’t. That’s a lot of what didn’t make sense. They could’ve done with that and make it a bigger moment than it was and probably make it even more heated, too. Just another thing they’ve done with the women that wasn’t as great and grandiose as it could have been.

Also with Brock, I have 2 thoughts:

-Do the title change at the Saudi Arabia show on the 27th and get a scene that they probably want instead of getting crapped on.

-CM Punk’s modern-era record title reign is now on the table. Even though it’s the other belt, Brock is only 63 days away from it. Takes us right to Money in the Bank, and you don’t need me to tell you what city they’re running that weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I don't think there was an audible mid-match. I think the plan changed in the last week or two at the latest.

But would anyone be stunned if it changed Sunday morning?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Undefeated Asuka dominating all the way to WM35 only to lose to Rousey would have been incredible. Especially after Ronda's debut at 34. She did very well. Let her work a full year and that match at 35 would have been huge. But nope. Can't have a woman go undefeated that doesn't speak english. Fans will never "get her". That's how I feel Vince thinks. If this were NXT - she goes to WM35 undefeated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad