GDT: WWE TLC (22nd October 2017) - Putting the Angle back together

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
They could of cut 5 or 10 minutes from the main event, maybe had Kane/Braun happen quicker/earlier but overall it was an ME that delivered because of Reigns being out. Same match with Reigns would of been way worse. With Angle in the match there was a lot of excitement to see what Angle was going to do. And of course 2 mark out moments, when Angle hit some Germans, and when he came back.

From when Angle was gone till he returned dragged a bit but they wanted to get over a few storylines. The Braun/Kane feud (and the chair spot was great), the "taking out the trash" storyline that was pretty fun. And the Heels want to beat the faces down storyline. Shave of 5-10 from that and the match would of been tighter but overall it was a ton of fun and was a big brawl.

This PPV was 100% saved by the booking changes. Replace AJ with Bray and Angle with Reigns and the PPV isn't half as good.
They could have 100% told the same story
I feel you're all over rating AJ/Finn. It was good but not anything special.

To me it was like you could tell AJ had a long flight...barely any notice...and maybe they didn't want to give away everything for a nothing match.
But it was so crisp and well worked. And maybe I just rated it that high because thinking back after TLC lol

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Oh it was certainly masterfully worked but (for me anyway) it felt like they left a good amount out there.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I feel like the people complaining about that match last night are actually the ones who never saw her in NXT. The match was perfectly fine. She can come out and murder some jobber in 2 minutes tonight where more people will see it.
The match most certainly was not fine but you're definitely entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. I don't think that was a good way to debut Asuka and make her feel like a star. She was made to look like just another woman in the division.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The match most certainly was not fine but you're definitely entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. I don't think that was a good way to debut Asuka and make her feel like a star. She was made to look like just another woman in the division.

Looking like a star basically has to do with your entrance, your finisher, and your charisma. Other women have to look good if Asuka beating everyone is supposed to mean something. This is the women's division, which means there's basically only 6 of them. If this was the men, you can do it much easier because you don't care if Dolph Ziggler or Heath Slater gets buried, you have any number of other guys you can use. With Emma, or any of the other women, this is something you're doing to have to do multiple times because you simply don't have the numbers, so you can't have everybody be dead. I understand that people thought she should've murder Emma, but the reality is that it wasn't a truly feasible solution. You just don't have the depth to come out and do stuff like that when in the future, you need 15-minute championship matches and 11-minute segments where you have to carry a commercial.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
They could have 100% told the same story

If you mean tell the same story with Reigns and Bray I agree, but the matches wouldn't of been as good or fun. Rather watch Angle bust out Germans and Angle Slams than a superman punch and spear. And no way Finn/Bray would of been as good and heated as AJ/Finn was.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If you mean tell the same story with Reigns and Bray I agree, but the matches wouldn't of been as good or fun. Rather watch Angle bust out Germans and Angle Slams than a superman punch and spear. And no way Finn/Bray would of been as good and heated as AJ/Finn was.
No no, I mean the TLC match could have told the same story with Braun/Kane happening earlier, shaving off a few minutes, and overall just making the story tighter.

Braun/Kane happening a bit sooner makes it a 2 on 3 for the majority of the match which would make Seth and Ambrose being able to fire up at the end believable. It just failed at that to me because the beatdown was too long that it rivaled Reigns' comeback. I get that Seth and Dean could have probably been pinned and the heels didnt want to. They just wanted to kill them. But the length of the beatdown from 5 top tier wrestlers ... ugh. It was too long to be able to fire up like that.

Angle is out of action for 20 minutes from a table spot. Miz is out of action early for like 10 minutes from I don't even remember what. Steamus is out for the last 3ish minutes from an Angle Slam.

I hate inconsistent story telling. Especially when it happens in the same match. It just makes everything a mess. WWE banked on people freaking out about the spots that they could get away with what I consider shitty story telling, but they can't with me.

The spots were cool. The story telling, selling, and the layout of the match was a complete mess to me.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I wish the match was about 5 minutes longer. Could have been something special.

She's already a spectacle and they pushed Emma at the same time. It was good. Could have been great with 5 more minutes.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The Asuka match should've been no longer than 5 minutes and a total squash/destruction. Emma is booked as a joke, she should in no way be competitive with Asuka. They are going to do to her what they did to Bobby Roode and wreck all her momentum with stupid booking.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Large Meltzer ratings:

Sasha v. Foxy **1/4
Asuka v. Emma **1/2
Alexander/Swann v. Gallagher/Kendrick ***
Alexa v. Mickie **3/4
Enzo v. Kalisto *3/4
Finn v. AJ ****1/4
Jordan v. Elias **
TLC ****1/4

GKJ ratings:

Sasha v. Foxy **3/4
Asuka v. Emma ***
Alexander/Swann v. Gallagher/Kendrick ***
Alexa v. Mickie ***
Enzo v. Kalisto *1/2
Finn v. AJ ****1/2
Jordan v. Elias **
TLC ***1/2

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
4.25 for that TLC match? geez Dave. was that match actually broadcast from japan?? :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad