WWE superstar Elias chirps the city of Toronto and the Maple Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
They aren't "fighters" bud. They pretend to fight.

Well aware their jobs are painful, doesn't mean anything.
A few of them actually are or were fighters (if you consider amateur style wrestling fighting, and you should). They have wrestlers, boxers, martial artists, MMA fighters on the roster along with the guys with no formal fighting training.

face slapper

Nov 6, 2017
Only reason to watch wwe is for the bullet club guys like AJ, machine gun, doc, and adam cole, or the ROH guys in nxt like bobby fish, kyle o'reilly, ricochet etc., otherwise stick to NJPW or ROH, so much better than anything on raw(poor deviit) and most of smackdown

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
A few of them actually are or were fighters (if you consider amateur style wrestling fighting, and you should). They have wrestlers, boxers, martial artists, MMA fighters on the roster along with the guys with no formal fighting training.

A lot of them are actually trained in multiple martial arts disciplines.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
tumblr_pdom8jtiHD1s24yedo1_500.gif

I actually saw these 2 fellas in BK 2 weeks ago. Quite a show.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Only reason to watch wwe is for the bullet club guys like AJ, machine gun, doc, and adam cole, or the ROH guys in nxt like bobby fish, kyle o'reilly, ricochet etc., otherwise stick to NJPW or ROH, so much better than anything on raw(poor deviit) and most of smackdown

HipsterGuy.jpeg

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Is their martial arts training considered when they get handed the match scripts, or do they just get to throw in some technique as they wish to keep it entertaining before the scripted result?
Serious question or no? It's hard to tell. If it is serious, the entire match isn't scripted out beforehand for a lot of them. They will be told the way the match ends and any spots that have to go into the match. There is a lot of creativity in making a match. There are some guys who want to go through everything, step by step, for the whole match, but a lot of the best ones just know the finish and how long they have to work for and they go out and do it.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Serious question or no? It's hard to tell. If it is serious, the entire match isn't scripted out beforehand for a lot of them. They will be told the way the match ends and any spots that have to go into the match. There is a lot of creativity in making a match.
I get that, I just don't know if there's like match notes where they're like "Trish Stratus uses martial arts skills to kick out of two (2) counts" that someone without the martial arts skills wouldn't get in their notes.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I get that, I just don't know if there's like match notes where they're like "Trish Stratus uses martial arts skills to kick out of two (2) counts" that someone without the martial arts skills wouldn't get in their notes.

Every guy knows what they other can do and what he cant do. Its mostly improvised during.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

They don't get notes like that. The wrestlers know what moves are "theirs" to use, and if they have the skill set to use them from a martial arts or amateur wrestling background they will work that into their standard moveset and just do their thing. They wouldn't tell someone to go and do a pile of moves or kicks that they don't know how to do.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Every guy knows what they other can do and what he cant do. Its mostly improvised during.
They've kind of got to work it out beforehand though.

You wouldn't want to accidentally walk into a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick while you're doing your improv.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
What I will say is that people who dismiss wrestling out of hand should go to a live event if it rolls through your town. It's a highly interactive and fun experience. Much like hockey, it's way better in person.

I think you're unintentionally overselling it, as you know whats happening and who is who.

Got free tickets and went a few years ago. It was... strange. The BO was otherworldly, the crowd chants were confusing and not at all intuitive and the moves seemed even more fake in person without the benefit of working the camera angles for TV.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
"Superstar??"

Is he generational too??

Never heard of him, but then I don't insult my intelligence, or that of others by watching this crap either.

Too bad, years ago it was quite entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad