GDT: WWE SummerSlam (19th August 2018) - Fourth Time is the Charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
So, Braun got beat up and the briefcase tossed by Lesnar, but Roman wins. Braun should be angry with Brock, but Roman has the title now. This **** makes no sense, unless Brock rematches tomorrow, and wins the title back. That would be amazing.

Lesnar ran out of the ring after the match like he had a private jet on the runway with its engines running.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Ronda/Alexa match was done correctly. Ronda shouldn’t have long matches and Alexa really can’t, not without a lot more tricks, and she’s always been smoke and mirrors.

Roman vs. Brock should’ve been short and would’ve been shorter without Braun there. All told, that was done right as well.

This was a very good show and nothing was appreciably bad which hasn’t happened for a while.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I've never seen a PPV with so many worthless squash matches, well since Wrestlemania 1. I guess its ok when people subscribe to the network, but in the day when PPV's cost $50.00 there would have been a riot.

Make no mistake, to me this Summer Slam was trash.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
The Ronda/Alexa match was done correctly. Ronda shouldn’t have long matches and Alexa really can’t, not without a lot more tricks, and she’s always been smoke and mirrors.

Roman vs. Brock should’ve been short and would’ve been shorter without Braun there. All told, that was done right as well.

This was a very good show and nothing was appreciably bad which hasn’t happened for a while.

I'm going to disagree, the producer who wrote the squash match actually had Alexa Bliss do worse against Rousey then Stephanie McMahon did. Now I'm not saying that this is some political thing, but Ronda's win made a mockery out of the Woman's division when she destroyed a 5x champion, what does that say?

I get that they're all hot and bothered about Ronda, and she's a great athlete, but this championship match did nothing for the Woman's division. At this point they're basically saying to all of the woman in the division, you guys are great sports entertainers, but we have a real athlete now, so forget about winning the Raw title.

The Raw's woman's division RIP.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
The last two matches completely ruined the PPV for me. Ronda isn't capable of cutting a decent promo or putting on a decent wrestling match at this time, having her compete in Championship matches, let alone winning the belt is laughable.

And teasing Braun cashing in only to have "Da Big Dawg" win and close the show...this product lol.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm going to disagree, the producer who wrote the squash match actually had Alexa Bliss do worse against Rousey then Stephanie McMahon did. Now I'm not saying that this is some political thing, but Ronda's win made a mockery out of the Woman's division when she destroyed a 5x champion, what does that say?

I get that they're all hot and bothered about Ronda, and she's a great athlete, but this championship match did nothing for the Woman's division. At this point they're basically saying to all of the woman in the division, you guys are great sports entertainers, but we have a real athlete now, so forget about winning the Raw title.

The Raw's woman's division RIP.

It's not supposed to do anything for the women's division, it's supposed to do things for Ronda and sell her.

Ronda's going to get every good idea they have.

They have this Evolution PPV coming up in 2 months, so they'll make other women look good. They're going to feed freaken Trish to Alexa.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I'm betting that Trish beats Alexa, they're not going to let Trish lose to her in a one shot deal. And at the end Trish will hug Alexa and then hand her the blue cheerleaders outfit and the fist full of glitter.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Atleast they booked demon Balor properly ?

Honestly him coming out in the makeup was ok, it didn't mean much besides it looked cool. The match itself was a squash and if your having multiple squashes on a PPV its a bad PPV.

Finn Balor is in the oblivion world in that he's just there. The makeup didn't make him more interesting.

Reactions: FultonReed

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I'm betting that Trish beats Alexa, they're not going to let Trish lose to her in a one shot deal. And at the end Trish will hug Alexa and then hand her the blue cheerleaders outfit and the fist full of glitter.

I think that this will be when Mickie turns on Alexa.

Feb 24, 2017
The best part of this ppv for me was finding a very high quality (rhymes with) scream to watch it on. Bookmarked.

Reactions: Fro

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Why can't they? She can win, but doesn't have to. Why does someone who hasn't done a singles match in like 12 years have to go over?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Just got home from the show, my quick thoughts.

- Pre-show was a whole lot of whatever. Rusev and Almas both deserve better and they blew a chance with The Revival not getting the belts.
- Seth and Dolph started out way too slow but the middle of the match on was well done. Overall very good match which is only bumped down because of the beginning.
- Smackdown tag titles: Expected it to be a shit match, kinda got decent during it then ended with the DQ finish. Wasn't a fan.
- The Braun squash was clearly just to get him on the card in some form or another to set up for his appearance later but it's pretty terrible how they've turned Owens into a clown the past few months.
- Smackdown women's title: Match itself was very good and although I wanted Becky to get the title, the heel turn was excellent so overall well done.
- Joe/Styles: Another match where I thought the slow start was dragged out but really picked up towards the end. DQ finish with AJ flipping out made perfect sense and continued the feud so perfectly fine with this.
- Elias breaking the guitar cracked me up.
- Miz/Bryan was pretty good and the finish will set up for the future as well. Loved seeing something like brass knucks being used.
- Finn/Corbin I gave my thoughts on earlier. Just awesome.
- Shinsuke/Jeff: Kinda meh though I loved the expressions from both during the match.
- Ronda/Bliss: Disappointing. If there was no interference or wacky finish, it was clear Ronda was going to win as it's pretty unrealistic for Alexa to win against her straight up. But to see her basically pummeled and destroyed after being at the top of the division for so long doesn't sit well with me.
- Brock/Roman: Braun being there was obviously to prevent the fans from shitting on it while possibly setting up the next feud so it worked well in that regard though looking back, the whole Braun thing about manning up doesn't make sense if he was waiting until after the match to cash in.

Overall, I thought the show was a ton of fun which is different than past PPV's. By far the funnest SummerSlam I've attended out of the last 4 with the previous 3 being massive disappointments to me. I don't know how it came across on TV but there were enough big surprise moments (Demon Finn, Braun coming out at the end, Becky heel turn), great wrestling (Dolph/Seth, Joe/Styles near the end, Miz/Bryan), and comedy moments (Elias breaking his guitar) to keep me entertained. Usually these shows drag on and it nearly hit that point right when Demon Finn came out so they booked the sequences perfectly to me. I was happy with the show though it seems I may be in the minority compared to most.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Honestly him coming out in the makeup was ok, it didn't mean much besides it looked cool. The match itself was a squash and if your having multiple squashes on a PPV its a bad PPV.

Finn Balor is in the oblivion world in that he's just there. The makeup didn't make him more interesting.

I disagree. He was much better with his mannerisms where he looks more unhinged as the demon (having his tongue out like a wild animal between moves and post match). He still needs to incorporate some different moves as the demon, but he definitely looked more hard hitting and stiff. And the squash over someone like Corbin is exactly what the demon character needs.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
They literally buried both Brock and Braun just to prevent Roman from getting booed.

**** this company, lol.

Much like they buried Asuka and Becky to put Flair over.

The whole company is built around like 4 people, its boring as crap...Vince literally sticks his middle finger up at the fans, and laughs cause they buy crap anyways

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Why book the main event like that? Just have Roman win clean if you were always putting the belt on him and get it over with.
Wwe were legit worried people would walk out. Having Braun walk out and state he would be challenging the winner, made people stay in their seats to the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad