WWE: WWE Network and Business Thread III [network count a "genuine disappointment"]

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
WWE gets smacked down by Wall Street - CNN

New York (CNN Business)Shares of World Wrestling Entertainment, aka the WWE, have been sent crashing into Wall Street's turnbuckle this year and are in danger of being pinned to the mat.

You would think this would be a great time for the WWE (WWE): It has new TV deals with Fox(FOXA) and Comcast's (CMCSA) USA that are financially beneficial for the company. But the stock is now down about 10% this year and is trading more than 30% below its 52-week high.

What gives?

Some investors are concerned that we've reached peak WWE. Fox's first broadcast of SmackDown on Friday nights brought in solid ratings earlier this month. But viewership has tumbled in the weeks since then, which could be a concern.

"Ratings are a barometer of fan interest and they have been going in the wrong direction," said Brandon Ross, a media analyst with LightShed Capital.

Maybe I'm just slightly arrogant and super pessimistic on WWE but I've seen saying the run has to end at some point. The billion dollar TV deals absolutely shocked me, but I think the Fox one is going to do more harm to WWE and expose the fact that they're not that popular anymore.

The 10-year Saudi deal (valued more than Wrestlemania revenue) and domestic TV deals make WWE foolproof for a long time. You'd have to purposely want to tank the company to sink them anytime in the next 15-20 years, but I think the wave is over.

Network numbers still aren't at 2-million, viewership continues to constantly decline, attendance is sinking.

I don't know what the International landscape is for WWE anymore. Maybe they can get something with India even though they don't have an Indian draw anymore since Khali is retired, but I don't think they're going to get such sweetheart deals that they got in America at all.

Oct 18, 2011
WWE gets smacked down by Wall Street - CNN

Maybe I'm just slightly arrogant and super pessimistic on WWE but I've seen saying the run has to end at some point. The billion dollar TV deals absolutely shocked me, but I think the Fox one is going to do more harm to WWE and expose the fact that they're not that popular anymore.

The 10-year Saudi deal (valued more than Wrestlemania revenue) and domestic TV deals make WWE foolproof for a long time. You'd have to purposely want to tank the company to sink them anytime in the next 15-20 years, but I think the wave is over.

Network numbers still aren't at 2-million, viewership continues to constantly decline, attendance is sinking.

I don't know what the International landscape is for WWE anymore. Maybe they can get something with India even though they don't have an Indian draw anymore since Khali is retired, but I don't think they're going to get such sweetheart deals that they got in America at all.
They're raking in money, but the comment about low interest is spot on. They've killed the audience down to the people who will always watch no matter what, and since their top demo is men over 50 they probably mostly watch out of habit these days.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They have done nothing to grow their audience either.

Wrestling in general, or at least in North America isn’t exactly big business. It’s harder and harder to get eyeballs as people gain more options.

Still they have no idea how to attract new younger viewers. For a company that panders more then anyone, they are woefully out of touch with what works in pop culture today.

Oct 18, 2011
They have done nothing to grow their audience either.

Wrestling in general, or at least in North America isn’t exactly big business. It’s harder and harder to get eyeballs as people gain more options.

Still they have no idea how to attract new younger viewers. For a company that panders more then anyone, they are woefully out of touch with what works in pop culture today.
It is a strange time in the business, because there is arguably as much athletic talent as there has ever been globally but we also don't have that transcendent Hogan/Austin star to get more eyes on all of it, plus the WWE is seen as the Major leagues of wrestling and their shit is trash. I harp on this alot but all the bad acting is going to make normal people keep changing the channel

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
This quarter is not good at all.

- Network lost subscribers. They’re at 1.5m.
- Live event revenue down 13%
- Raw down 6% and SD on USA 4% in ratings
- net income down
- 18% domestic decline in ticket sales from last quarter which is awful.
- WWEShop sales down 16%

WWE expects a decline down to 1.4m in subscribers.

Considering WWE thought the network would be at 2m by this point, yikes

Oct 18, 2011
This quarter is not good at all.

- Network lost subscribers. They’re at 1.5m.
- Live event revenue down 13%
- Raw down 6% and SD on USA 4% in ratings
- net income down
- 18% domestic decline in ticket sales from last quarter which is awful.
- WWEShop sales down 16%

WWE expects a decline down to 1.4m in subscribers.

Considering WWE thought the network would be at 2m by this point, yikes
the saudi and fox deals are masking serious problems the product they're putting out sucks, but all those numbers you posted shows they're killing fan interest in north america

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Can't even change payment information for the network at this point. In order for me to maintain my subscription, I have to cancel the account and reactivate it in order to update my credit card information. Not good. Sad.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's ****ty UX/UI :laugh:

I had an expiring credit card that I got a new one for and all I should've had to do was update the expiration date and the cvv but they didn't even have it available to try and make that change. Went to the chat and that's what they said needed to be done. I may not even resubscribe as this seems like a lazy man's excuse to not do so of which I most certainly am lazy. lol Like of all things you'd think they'd want to have straight at all times is the way to have your customers give you their money. lol

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->