GDT: WWE Greatest Royal Rumble (27th April 2018) - No Girls Allowed!

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm not sure I'll watch this live. New Japan has a show at 5:30am. And no way I'm missing that.

KUSHIDA+Tanahashi vs. Ospreay+Okada

Juice vs. Goto

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Jerry Lawler thinks the women are getting a nice pay day to just stay at home due to their exclusion from the show.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
IC, SD Tag, WWE and maybe the 2nd half of the rumble are the only matches i'll watch. Maybe Reigns/Lesnar if it turns out to be a stiff match, even tho we all know Reigns getting that W.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I'd like to see WWE run an all woman's house show somewhere this weekend and see how they do with it.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I think an all women PPV is something they should look to do down the line.

Especially if they can get Ronda up and running to headline it. While she probably wouldn't be able to do a real main event match yet, you can just use her like they use Lesnar as a mid-card feature match as your draw.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Don't worry, winning this one means nothing.

To be honest, I like the idea of not having the winner of the Rumble get a title shot. It makes it tougher to predict who will win.

The Rumble sort of lost some luster to me the second they put the condition winner gets a title shot since it basically eliminates about 10 possible people who you could see winning the thing

Last edited:

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
To be honest, I like the idea of not having the winner of the Rumble get a title shot. It makes it tougher to predict who will win.

The Rumble sort of lost some luster to me the second they put the condition winner gets a title shot since it basically eliminates about 10 possible people who you could see winning the thing

It also makes it meaningless and dumb and if the Rumble wasn't for a title shot, those 10 people you mentioned still woouldn't win. GRR will prove it. Let's see if Curt Hawkins wins or a guy like DB or Braun.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
This show might need an hour long intermission due to a pray session that falls on an hour that the show will be running.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don't know how to post a link because I am a tech dummy who barely knows how to use a smartphone but David Bixenspan wrote a tremendous article on this atrocity of a show on Deadspin that was 100% spot on. They have such balls when they do a "look at how great we are" PR move with the group of gays at Mania and then hold a gigantic show in a place where if any of them showed up they would be jailed and executed. Such hypocritical two faced bullshit.

Reactions: BonMorrison

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I don't know how to post a link because I am a tech dummy who barely knows how to use a smartphone but David Bixenspan wrote a tremendous article on this atrocity of a show on Deadspin that was 100% spot on. They have such balls when they do a "look at how great we are" PR move with the group of gays at Mania and then hold a gigantic show in a place where if any of them showed up they would be jailed and executed. Such hypocritical two faced bull****.

Saw it yesterday. A great read

https://deadspin.com/what-is-wwe-do...m_medium=socialflow&__twitter_impression=true

Reactions: sabremike

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'll probably skim through it tomorrow night as i have nothing on the go.

The card is great, but i just can't find too much interest in it.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Rusev was sitting at the big boy table with the likes of Orton, Henry, Lesnar, Taker, Angle, Vince, Shane, HHH, Reigns and Strowman at their dinner :')

some dude who seems to have a bunch of info over in Saudi Arabia said they wanted to name this show "The Saudi Wrestlemania" but Vince refused

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I mean the fact they got Vince to sign off on calling it the Greatest Royal Rumble is a pretty big concession as they like to protect the Rumble to keep it special.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Anyone interested in betting with me that Muhammad Hassan will apear in the rumble?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They should. They won’t, but they should.
No they shouldn't. Right now, an all-women's PPV would not only expose how little people actually give a shit about the Women's Revolution, but would expose how terrible the women's division really is. It's fine and dandy to say the women are equal to the men, but just watch the matches, it's clear they aren't. The women are improving by leaps and bounds and I love seeing that, but they simply don't have the quality workers to put on a decent PPV, there is already enough difficulty getting 2 quality matches out of the division for a regular PPV.

Is anyone actually going to watch this live, or in full?
I will be watching in full, but not live. I get off work at 7am, so 6 hours of wrestling starting 3 hours after I'm off would be a bad idea. I suspect I will watch it Saturday or Sunday evening.

Reactions: dahrougem2

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
No they shouldn't. Right now, an all-women's PPV would not only expose how little people actually give a **** about the Women's Revolution, but would expose how terrible the women's division really is. It's fine and dandy to say the women are equal to the men, but just watch the matches, it's clear they aren't. The women are improving by leaps and bounds and I love seeing that, but they simply don't have the quality workers to put on a decent PPV, there is already enough difficulty getting 2 quality matches out of the division for a regular PPV.

There is nothing wrong talent wise with the women's division. The problem is in the booking and the juvenile storylines. It's hard to get people to care when the major storylines from the women the last ten years have been "You're too fat/old/ugly to beat me! or "My daddy/gran daddy/husband/relative was a huge star so give me a push!". What new storylines that could have been compelling like Asuka's streak get snuffed out quicker that Paige's comeback in the WWE.

Give these women a compelling reason to go and take the kid gloves off and I guarantee they will give you an 8 match PPV for the ages!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There is nothing wrong talent wise with the women's division. The problem is in the booking and the juvenile storylines. It's hard to get people to care when the major storylines from the women the last ten years have been "You're too fat/old/ugly to beat me! or "My daddy/gran daddy/husband/relative was a huge star so give me a push!". What new storylines that could have been compelling like Asuka's streak get snuffed out quicker that Paige's comeback in the WWE.

Give these women a compelling reason to go and take the kid gloves off and I guarantee they will give you an 8 match PPV for the ages!
What a giant load of horse shit. The storylines (while I agree they are terrible) have no effect on the poor in ring quality of women's matches. The women aren't half as good in the ring as their male counterparts. Half the women can't even sell going head first into the turnbuckle for christ sake.

You give the women 8 matches on a PPV and it will be the lowest rated PPV of all time.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
What a giant load of horse ****. The storylines (while I agree they are terrible) have no effect on the poor in ring quality of women's matches. The women aren't half as good in the ring as their male counterparts. Half the women can't even sell going head first into the turnbuckle for christ sake.

You give the women 8 matches on a PPV and it will be the lowest rated PPV of all time.

How about instead of running your mouth you actually go and watch the NXT matches many of the current main show roster had. There is a huge difference in how the moves, spots, and general flow of the matches are maintained.

Still if you think a women only PPV will fail I think you need to be reminded of the Mae Young classic. Two nights with a full crowd and one of the most watched events on the network. And that was mostly with a bunch of relatively unknown wrestlers from the indy circuit.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
The rumble match will be fun but everything else is dull and predictable outside of AJ vs Nak

My picks (even tho there's no contest etc) Taker (duh), Triple H, Hammer bros, Jinder the unhindered, Joey Samoey, Cedric, Nak and who the hell knows for the rumble cause its a trophy match and like 15 people out of 50 are announced.

Hopefully these aren't accurate but meh.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How about instead of running your mouth you actually go and watch the NXT matches many of the current main show roster had. There is a huge difference in how the moves, spots, and general flow of the matches are maintained.

Still if you think a women only PPV will fail I think you need to be reminded of the Mae Young classic. Two nights with a full crowd and one of the most watched events on the network. And that was mostly with a bunch of relatively unknown wrestlers from the indy circuit.
I've watched the NXT matches. I didn't say you wouldn't get any good matches, I said you can't fill an entire PPV. You would get 4 matches tops that are decent, the rest would be sheer garbage, like most of the women's matches are.

As for the Mae Young Classic... that "sold out" two nights is less than 1000 seats and the final followed a Smackdown Event, so you can't even claim they were there to watch that. As for most watched events on the network, I have my doubts about the legitimacy of that claim. The viewership spiked prior to the finals as people wanted to see what happened before the finals (that was when I watched it too), so while they were "most watched shows" in the beginning of September, that would have been for that week and their hadn't been a PPV since SummerSlam. In fact just a quick search tells me 5 Episodes of Holy Foly were in the top 10 in February of 2017, and back in June of 2017 2 episodes of Table for 3 were in the top 5, so let's not pretend like making that list is all that impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad