GDT: WWE Evolution (28th October 2018)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
since winning it again. its amazing.
and insecure straight men HATE it that she calls herself that. when you read the comments. its hilarious.
Is that a reddit thing? I've yet to see that

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
twitter and its been since winning it back or so. (i dont reddit)
maybe she updated her profile now adding it. but every post would be "i am the man"

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
She changed it today.

I would really really really like to see that stick. When she walks around calling herself the man. Because in reality.. she is. She is the absolute best thing going. She should call herself that. Ahhhh i'm marking out. :laugh:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
You keep making that point, but it's not seeing the forest through the trees. They've run house shows in Saudi Arabia. What they haven't done is take millions of dollars from the government to air their propaganda until this year in an unabashed attempt to present themselves as something other than they are. This doesn't have one iota to do with the fans in attendance, which by the way, women were not allowed to buy tickets for themselves, and are only allowed in with their husbands AND children.
And again - I'm not saying I agree with that. But why shouldn't those children be given something special because they were born in country 800 years behind normality?

Again. Bread and circuses. Read up on them.

Also, Michael Cole was at one time a legitimate war correspondent for CBS. I wouldn't presume to know how he feels about this situation.
I know what it is. I don't need to read up. I still don't think children need to grow up with only negativity. Seeing their heroes could be their escape from reality. I'm happy for them (and any innocent people who go to watch).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
And again - I'm not saying I agree with that. But why shouldn't those children be given something special because they were born in country 800 years behind normality?

I know what it is. I don't need to read up. I still don't think children need to grow up with only negativity. Seeing their heroes could be their escape from reality. I'm happy for them (and any innocent people who go to watch).

They can do so if it were a house show like almost every other foreign country gets.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
They can do so if it were a house show like almost every other foreign country gets.
House shows are shit and you know it.

Funny how we razz on these countries, but then say things like this.

"They get house shows, so f*** 'em! Be happy with that you babies."

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
House shows are **** and you know it.

"They get house shows, so **** 'em! Be happy with that you babies."
yes, how dare we as fans not want to see WWE be giving a propaganda platform to a f***ed up country that still oppresses everyone despite what their little propaganda campaigns that WWE airs for them try to get across. A country where the "regular" people you keep talking about are mostly not allowed to attend, and the ones that do are literally segregated to the higher parts of the arena/stadium to keep them away from the royalty that's closer to the action in the comfy seats on the floor, where the women themselves are not allowed to purchase tickets without their husband, where the women on the WWE roster are not even allowed to attend, where someone like Balor, Zayn, etc. wouldn't be allowed or welcome to go at this point, etc.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
it is clear as day the KSA is using WWE as a front to present themselves as something they aren’t.

It was obvious it was all a farce at GRR with the women not allowed (or Sami for that matter), only men allowed to buy tickets. Yet WWE almost gleefully went full propaganda mode for them.

Now it is even more upfront with the murder of this journalist, and people are rightfully giving the company shit over it.

As GKj said. You want to do something for the “innocent” kids? Do a house show. Don’t do a giant PPV that is a 3 hour propaganda puff piece.

Honestly even a house show would be too much. It isn’t fair to your female workers who can’t do their job specifically due to their gender, or guys like Sami do to ethnicity.

Edit; the one good thing about the KSA dog shit is that this show happened. Women got a chance to put on one of the best PPVs of the year despite a lot going against them in the absolute awful build and a lot of idiots claiming they couldn’t carry a card.

The show was great. WWE has so much great female talent, and it’s a shame they aren’t better utilized on every show all the time.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yeah it’s just so disrespectful to some of your employees to go there IMO.

Imagine an exhibition game between two NHL teams being played in Saudi Arabia and if a player had Israeli citizenship he couldn’t come along.

Do the right thing and stick up for your employees.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Like others have said, the show was surprisingly solid all around.

Missed the first match and half of the battle royale. Disappointed Nia won and thought Ember winning could have done a lot for her, but it was fairly fun.

Sasha winning a match with the splash was nice to finally see.

Definitely wish Io and Storm got more time, but it was fun for how short it was. Had zero issue with either lady winning.

Kairi losing broke my heart, but I like the angle. The face passing out instead of tapping is kind of overdone, but I still like it. They've built up this Kairi/Shayna angle very well. Shayna can't beat Kairi clean, and Kairi goes through hell in order to try to beat her. Love the chemistry between these two. Shayna is damn impressive for how long she's been in the business.

Becky is just...on another level though. Straight up superstar of the year lately. Last woman standing match was by far the match of the night. Thought some of the "near falls" for Charlotte were silly, but in the end, Becky winning is absolutely the right choice.

And honestly, I mostly tuned out after watching that main event. Ronda is good, Nicki should have been destroyed in a minute. Meh.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
yes, how dare we as fans not want to see WWE be giving a propaganda platform to a ****ed up country that still oppresses everyone despite what their little propaganda campaigns that WWE airs for them try to get across. A country where the "regular" people you keep talking about are mostly not allowed to attend, and the ones that do are literally segregated to the higher parts of the arena/stadium to keep them away from the royalty that's closer to the action in the comfy seats on the floor, where the women themselves are not allowed to purchase tickets without their husband, where the women on the WWE roster are not even allowed to attend, where someone like Balor, Zayn, etc. wouldn't be allowed or welcome to go at this point, etc.
Nowhere did I say I'm happy about the propaganda. Don't even try to imply that. I said I'm happy innocent people and children get to see their heroes. There were plenty of people not of royalty at last show. Isn't that what happens in North America too when rich corporations/scalping companies buy the seats?

I'm just against throwing innocent people to the dogs. But hey, it's 2018 and you're guilty until proven innocent these days, so who cares.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
House shows are **** and you know it.

"They get house shows, so **** 'em! Be happy with that you babies."

Look at the last KSA show, that’s all that was was a loaded house show. Nothing was stopping them from running a 25,000 seat building and not airing it on the network. The only things that were different between that and the Starrcade show they ran was a vacated tag title that meant nothing and the 50-man rumble that meant nothing. So yes, f*** their blood money. Who is razzing on other countries here? They should do PPV’s in other countries. But not this one for the reasons they’re doing it. You’re out here making it known you’re willing to die on a hill that nobody is trying to attack.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Look at the last KSA show, that’s all that was was a loaded house show. Nothing was stopping them from running a 25,000 seat building and not airing it on the network. The only things that were different between that and the Starrcade show they ran was a vacated tag title that meant nothing and the 50-man rumble that meant nothing. So yes, **** their blood money. Who is razzing on other countries here? They should do PPV’s in other countries. But not this one for the reasons they’re doing it. You’re out here making it known you’re willing to die on a hill that nobody is trying to attack.
All I said is I'm glad that innocent people and children are getting to see their heroes and people are jumping all over me. I've not once said that the propaganda or even the country is something I respect. It's not a secret the government is corrupt. They've made some positive changes, but they're still awful people. North America didn't change overnight either. Maybe Saudi Arabia never changes, but that doesn't mean there aren't innocent people there who don't deserved to be entertained or live a life without judgment.

What's the difference between a 25,000 person house show and a Network Special? Not much. But at least people who do attend can relive the event years later. I can tell you with 100% honesty, besides my childhood favourite shows I watched on repeat, I've always watched shows I've attended more than others.

I agree with the point you've said about the reasons they're doing it - IE: highlight the positive changes in Saudi Arabia and completely ignore the awful, disgusting things they are still doing. I don't like that part of the show - I think that's fairly obvious. I didn't really like Greatest Royal Rumble. I'm not even going to watch Crown Jewel because I'm working (although I will have no issue throwing on Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles, after work, if I hear it's a banger).

I was clearly talking about razzing Saudi Arabia, but then treating humans awful as well by saying "f*** those innocent people, give him a house show and shut up."

Hopefully, this show is just a show. With none of the awful propaganda from Greatest Royal Rumble. If there's none of that, there's absolutely no issue here as far as I'm concerned. And if WWE does do a propaganda campaign, they're going to get well deserved backlash. But I'll still be happy for the people who have no choice in the matter getting to see their heroes in person (even if, like you said, is from the top of the stadium... the same place I sit because I'm not rich), regardless if I like it or not.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Like others have said, the show was surprisingly solid all around.

Missed the first match and half of the battle royale. Disappointed Nia won and thought Ember winning could have done a lot for her, but it was fairly fun.

Sasha winning a match with the splash was nice to finally see.

Definitely wish Io and Storm got more time, but it was fun for how short it was. Had zero issue with either lady winning.

Kairi losing broke my heart, but I like the angle. The face passing out instead of tapping is kind of overdone, but I still like it. They've built up this Kairi/Shayna angle very well. Shayna can't beat Kairi clean, and Kairi goes through hell in order to try to beat her. Love the chemistry between these two. Shayna is damn impressive for how long she's been in the business.

Becky is just...on another level though. Straight up superstar of the year lately. Last woman standing match was by far the match of the night. Thought some of the "near falls" for Charlotte were silly, but in the end, Becky winning is absolutely the right choice.

And honestly, I mostly tuned out after watching that main event. Ronda is good, Nicki should have been destroyed in a minute. Meh.
The main event was incredibly well worked though and actually a really good match. Ronda is still by all means "a rookie." And she dominates many wrestlers who are nowhere near the title picture. I'm not a Nikki Bella fan (evidenced here many times), but that match was really, really, really good.

A woman dominating the division with no issues has been done a million times before. I'm not interested in seeing squash matches constantly, especially on shows I pay money for. I do admit, I was hoping it was a squash purely because I think Nikki Bella is awful - but I'm so, so, so, so, so incredibly happy it wasn't. It still shouldn't have went on last, but it was really good.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Natey... it takes maybe 5 minutes on google to figure out that "the innocent people" of SA are not going to this show. Goodness Gracious. I'm not one for ever watching the news or drowning myself in negativity w/ political shows/news, but being semi-educated in foreign affairs is vital.

You think SA is like Cleveland where people go on ticketmaster and drive out to the event as normal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd say Ronda/Nikki was the worst match on the show, but saying that is not to say it was by no means was it bad. Either that or the opener. It's hard to say matches are every truly not good if the crowd is completely engaged like they were on Sunday. They won't get another crowd like that on a main roster show until the Rumble, and by extension not until Money in the Bank since RR and WM are both stadium shows.

Becky/Charlotte Last Woman Standing is a match people will talk about and put in all the future video packages as legendary classics like they do Bayley and Sasha. Beyond Becky having won the match, I'm glad it was this match so that Becky and Charlotte can have a match that can stack up, because the women's evolution as much as they try to claim that it's all of their women, is really the Four Horsewomen making it possible.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Becky/Charlotte is almost right up there with Sasha/Bayley Brooklyn imo.

I remember having the latter at *****, and this LWS match would be right up there, maybe just slightly lower at a ****1/2 or ****3/4.

Nothing on the main roster is touching that. I don’t even think anything from the last two years on the main roster touches it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It’s the best main roster match of the year for me. I think the only other matches that even came close as far as enjoyment goes was the Rumble matches. It also is definitely in the same ballpark of the best NXT matches of the year. Maybe not above Almas/Black or Ciampa/Gargano I, but it is in the conversation.

Weakest match was the opener for me, but it was fine for what it was. Didn’t like the battle royal winner, but it was really a well put together battle royal. It was a good bit of fun. I really wish we could revisit the Asuka/Ember feud on the main roster with a belt on the line. Crowd still pops when those two interact.

I think the 3 on 3 tag was a very well put together match for what it was. They told a good story in the ring even if the build was dreadful. It’s unfortunate how little the stakes were involved. Not to mention it was overexposed on RAW. Riott Squad are a great team. We talk about tag belts for Lita/Trish, or Sasha/Bayley (who are still criminally misused) but the Riott Squadd are the real reason we need tag belts. They are too good to just be jobbed our every week. They should be a dominate tag stable.

MYC Final was too short. You saw bits that showed this could have been a classic with more time, but they just didn’t get enough. Loved the moonsault though. Awesome spot.

NXT title match was just fantastic. Kairi/Baszler have a really awesome dynamic that can really turn this into an all time classic feud depending on how War Games goes. Kairi is just the perfect pure soul babyface, and I hope she stays in NXT forever so Vince can’t ruin her like he did all the other female NXT stars.

Baszler has grown on me so much. Her character work is absolutely top notch. I know Ronda has the name recognition, but Baszler is the one who really gets wrestling and I much much prefer her to Ronda. She plays her bully heel gimmick so well. She has this really great mix of Brock and Joe in her brutality in both promos and in ring work. That hanging arm bar was such a cool nasty spot.

Main event was a well put together match. Pretty close to the best you can get out of the Bellas. Nothing super special, should not have main evented, but good none the less.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Natey... it takes maybe 5 minutes on google to figure out that "the innocent people" of SA are not going to this show. Goodness Gracious. I'm not one for ever watching the news or drowning myself in negativity w/ political shows/news, but being semi-educated in foreign affairs is vital.

You think SA is like Cleveland where people go on ticketmaster and drive out to the event as normal.
Yeah, there's no innocent people in that arena at all. Every single person in that arena is an awful human being. You sold me, man.

I'm just gonna pass on talking to you about it. I don't appreciate being flamed and I'm sure you wouldn't as well.

Back to wrestling!

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Becky/Charlotte is almost right up there with Sasha/Bayley Brooklyn imo.

I remember having the latter at *****, and this LWS match would be right up there, maybe just slightly lower at a ****1/2 or ****3/4.

Nothing on the main roster is touching that. I don’t even think anything from the last two years on the main roster touches it.
I have Becky/Charlotte on the same level as Sasha/Bayley in the Iron Woman Match. Brooklyn is still better because it was a pure wrestling and to be honest, no one expected it to be so good. It was magical. All three are amazing matches, but Brooklyn was just special and made women's wrestling into something more for me in NA. I loved the first Bayley/Nia Jax match as well, but it's slightly lower.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i loved the Becky/Charlotte match and have nothing bad to say about it, but ill always take the "wrestling" match, over one with weapons.
(ill always prefer the Sasha/Bailey matches)

Reactions: Natey

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Brooklyn match was special because that was the jumping off point. Including for me going through a personal wrestling reawakening. Everybody was talking about that match the next few days.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
One thing that kind of pissed me off about the MYC final was that they went for a slow start that should build and build. Usually you build through what you expect to be a long match. That match should have had 10 more minutes.

Charlotte and Becky get ****1/2 from me. Fantastic stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad