GDT: WWE Crown Jewel (November 2nd 2018)

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
One would think Raw vs Smackdown vs NXT plan exists but this year would have been too rushed to do that. Maybe add NXT champs to Night Of Champions?
That sounds like a terrible idea. NXT is perfectly fine how it is, no need to force it onto, what will be, already busy main roster cards. No one wins from it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm just confused... they spent weeks and weeks and weeks building the show. They spent weeks on building that dumb tournament. So it's not like they don't invest time and money into it. Then they basically throw it all away with hilarious booking that doesn't really matter. It's so strange.

I know they are fine financially, but you have to wonder from time to time. I feel like in my life time, WWE will disappear. And we will have a DVD that shows all these hilarious decisions and they will play a big role.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That sounds like a terrible idea. NXT is perfectly fine how it is, no need to force it onto, what will be, already busy main roster cards. No one wins from it.

Some type of NXT invasion is the big money angle at some time, you all know it. Fans would go nuts for that, even if it were only for Survivor Series.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Where's the money coming from? The NXT fans who are already paying WWE so that they can watch NXT lol?

But Survivor Series isn't the place for anything like this. It's already a joke due to the Raw vs Smackdown fakeness, throwing NXT into that mess just gets them mucky too. You're far better off doing it alone later.

You can make a good story from an NXT invasion for sure, but it's not going to be anything as big as the WCW one back forever ago so it's not going to be a big money anything. The best invasion to do right now would be getting Omega, Cody et al. But that's not really a possibility unless they want to play ball.

As for how I'd do it, I'd have HHH leading it and NXT must win. At the end of it all, the NXT champion pins the WWE Champion clean with control of the company on the line, and HHH (legit) takes control of WWE. It's Vince's retirement storyline.

And because that's my ideal with it, I don't think it's something you throw away just because it would be fun. It's not something you can do multiple times and have the same effect. It'll be a good card, so you should save it for later.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why though? Him having a long reign means that the WWE doesn't have a Universal champion. He'll show up every few months and put on crappy, boring matches.

Because I understand how business works, he is the legitimate wrestler in the WWE at least on the male side therefore he SHOULD be champion, also why does the title need to defended every month? that doesn't happen in ANY form of combat.

DC just defended his title on Saturday he won't do it again until March against that is how combat sports work doing it this way makes it feel more legitimate.

Besides if Brock wins the UFC title he could hold both belts belts at once, why would NOT want to promote him as the only guy to hold the Unovexial title and UFC title at the same time?

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
Because I understand how business works, he is the legitimate wrestler in the WWE at least on the male side therefore he SHOULD be champion, also why does the title need to defended every month? that doesn't happen in ANY form of combat.

DC just defended his title on Saturday he won't do it again until March against that is how combat sports work doing it this way makes it feel more legitimate.

Besides if Brock wins the UFC title he could hold both belts belts at once, why would NOT want to promote him as the only guy to hold the Unovexial title and UFC title at the same time?

The UFC doesn't have PPV events every 2 weeks. You can't have a PPV and not have the major title holder defend without hurting the overall show quality.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

That would all make sense if a) WWE didn't have a loose rule where you have to defend it once every 30 days (though they admittedly pick and choose when to acknowledge this) and b) every wrestler on the roster wrestles weekly

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I was away for a few days but the event really disappointed me. Brock Lesnar as part time champ hasn't worked before and won't work now. Shane Mcmahon won the World Cup? LOL. I think it's time for this long-time fan to take a break from the WWE for a few months. I'll still post here and follow along but I don't think I'll watch like I used to.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If someone had told me back in 1998 that 20 years later in 2018, Shane McMahon would be winning a tournament on PPV in order to turn him heel as some sort of big angle I would of said they were crazy.

Who cares about Shane McMahon? Seriously does anyone ever buy a ticket to a WWE show to see freakin' Shane McMahon?

The whole authority/GM/Commissioner/etc. thing has been done and redone so many times. No one cared about Authority figures 15 years ago, and they care less about them now. Yet WWE creative still make these authority figures a central and focused part of the show.

Not to mention no one will ever top Vince as an authority figure. Bischoff did a decent job of it as Raw GM, but every other attempt just looks like a poor-mans knock-off of the Mr. McMahon character.

Reactions: ColePens

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If someone had told me back in 1998 that 20 years later in 2018, Shane McMahon would be winning a tournament on PPV in order to turn him heel as some sort of big angle I would of said they were crazy.

Who cares about Shane McMahon? Seriously does anyone ever buy a ticket to a WWE show to see freakin' Shane McMahon?

The whole authority/GM/Commissioner/etc. thing has been done and redone so many times. No one cared about Authority figures 15 years ago, and they care less about them now. Yet WWE creative still make these authority figures a central and focused part of the show.

Not to mention no one will ever top Vince as an authority figure. Bischoff did a decent job of it as Raw GM, but every other attempt just looks like a poor-mans knock-off of the Mr. McMahon character.

People bought tickets to Wrestlemania 32 to see Shane McMahon.

It's less about the ticket sales and more about the TV though

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
People bought tickets to Wrestlemania 32 to see Shane McMahon.

It's less about the ticket sales and more about the TV though

They did? Had nothing to do with the rest of the card? Shane McMahon was the selling point to convince fans to lay down cash? C'mon now be realistic.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They did? Had nothing to do with the rest of the card? Shane McMahon was the selling point to convince fans to lay down cash? C'mon now be realistic.

I am realistic. That's what happened. Ticket sales stagnated before they announced that match.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I am realistic. That's what happened. Ticket sales stagnated before they announced that match.

Couldn't have anything to do with this guy called the Undertaker in a Hell in a Cell?

Anyone who bought a ticket to see Shane was only buying one because it was widely assumed he'd take some ridiculous leap off the top of the cell.

He's a glorified back-yard wrestler who just happens to be the Chairman's son. He fit in back in the Attitude era, but him and his sister have no business in an on-screen role here in 2018. They aren't advancing the product, they aren't selling tickets, but their egos won't allow them to realize that.

Reactions: Scott Stevens

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Couldn't have anything to do with this guy called the Undertaker in a Hell in a Cell?

Anyone who bought a ticket to see Shane was only buying one because it was widely assumed he'd take some ridiculous leap off the top of the cell.

He's a glorified back-yard wrestler who just happens to be the Chairman's son. He fit in back in the Attitude era, but him and his sister have no business in an on-screen role here in 2018. They aren't advancing the product, they aren't selling tickets, but their egos won't allow them to realize that.
So, yes, they bought tickets to see Shane McMahon jump off the cell. That was easily the biggest selling point of the show once it was announced. It was also his first match back after however many years it was.

Reactions: Scott Stevens

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't think I've ever done anything because of Shane McMahon, aside from laugh at the TV when he does that stupid backwards hopping-dance. :help:

He certainly wouldn't ever be the difference between whether or not I bought tickets to a WWE event.

"Oh, Shane's gonna be there? Well now I GOTTA go see it."

Nah. :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
People popped BIG when Shane came back.

His presence got old after 2 weeks though.

I think anyone who stays away and comes back gets a pop. Especially if they were over at one point. That one-time pop is different from stuff like Becky getting insane pops 24/7. Punk/DB getting pops no matter what. Etc. And we all know that, but WWE doesn't care.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
People popped BIG when Shane came back.

His presence got old after 2 weeks though.

Returning is fine, if you're going to take on a GM or managerial role.

But jumping in the ring and putting yourself front and center, when there are FAR more deserving talent already on the roster, just sticks in my craw.

It'd be like if Sunny came back and was suddenly inserted in a feud with Becky Lynch. And then she won. :help:

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Shane's fine. Especially since he tends to leave for a bit, and then come back in spurts to. He's not always there.

This is a way to help him turn heel, which I like, because face Shane is boring now.

Not like anyone needed that win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad