GDT: WWE Battleground (23rd July 2017) - Cage of the Hinderer

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The Wyatt/Orton feud was awesome until Orton pulled out a crucix.

Yeah. Burning down the compound was nice and could have made Wyatt go psycho, or even a different direction where Harper and Rowan "came home", protect Abigail, and reformed the family at WM when Wyatt retained.

But nope. The crucix began the steep downfall of that program.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah. Burning down the compound was nice and could have made Wyatt go psycho, or even a different direction where Harper and Rowan "came home", protect Abigail, and reformed the family at WM when Wyatt retained.

But nope. The crucix began the steep downfall of that program.

The Randy Orton pose at the compound was what started it. The crucifix just put it past the point of no return jumping the shark.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The Randy Orton pose at the compound was what started it. The crucifix just put it past the point of no return jumping the shark.

Ehhh the pose was fine because of how ridiculously wrestling it was.

The problem is the follow up was garbage. Bray was exactly the same afterward, and they kept pulling more hokey **** instead of escalating the feud.

Didn't help that the match ended up being total ****.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think the Bray and Orton stuff was a decent idea, it just didn't workout when they did it. I wouldn't call it stupid for being a new idea, especially when similar things have gone fine in the past.

Do you mean the build or the match? I was fine with the build. I like over-the-top madness. It's fun. I'm specifically talking about the match. The match was seriously the worst thing i've ever seen from a high profile match. The random worm/maggot shots were idiotic. I'd seriously rather watch Undertaker vs. Undertaker.

And if they wanted to do those overhead camera shots at like a bad PPV, I could let it roll off the shoulders. It was Wrestlemania. The show of shows. And it was DUMB. And Wyatt loses. :laugh:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Do you mean the build or the match? I was fine with the build. I like over-the-top madness. It's fun. I'm specifically talking about the match. The match was seriously the worst thing i've ever seen from a high profile match. The random worm/maggot shots were idiotic. I'd seriously rather watch Undertaker vs. Undertaker.

And if they wanted to do those overhead camera shots at like a bad PPV, I could let it roll off the shoulders. It was Wrestlemania. The show of shows. And it was DUMB. And Wyatt loses. :laugh:
The actual projections onto the ring during the match. I think the idea was good. It was something new and different, and I can see potential in it.

The problem is that they didn't set it up right, or sell it right during the match to make it a big deal. You need to go all in on Bray for it to work, and they didn't during the build so it was a non-starter. It also should have used to set up the finish directly for Bray to win, but nope.

It's also a question if such a thing could even work anyway. In my head I can turn a match into a horror show, but I don't know how you'd actually in a live wrestling show setting. It might not actually be possible, but it's an idea that I like and think should be explored (if they didn't botch it already and ruin it for future use).

But the actual wrestling was meh, and the program was fine until it fell of the rails as others noted. That didn't help anything, and it got worse after the 'Mania match which also doesn't help perceptions of it when we look back.

Basically the idea was good, but the execution was terrible.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I sort of see what you are saying, Kimi, but don't do that at Wrestlemania. And if they wanted to, they could have Broken Matt Hardy vs. Bray and have it REALLY go over-the-top stupid like that. It would work and the two could be ultra creative and make bad = good.

My biggest issue is that it was Wrestlemania. If you want to try something like that, go crazy at Battleground. Go crazy elsewhere and see how it works. And you have to commit to going all-in crazy/stupid. Like you said, it could have been set up better.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah, I agree with that.

I wouldn't mind if they had the big blow off at 'Mania with all the gimmicks, but it really isn't the place to try things for the first time, they'd definitely need to build it up beforehand. But even then, I'm not sure WWE is company to be able to do it anyway.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ehhh the pose was fine because of how ridiculously wrestling it was.

The problem is the follow up was garbage. Bray was exactly the same afterward, and they kept pulling more hokey **** instead of escalating the feud.

Didn't help that the match ended up being total ****.

I disagree. Those types of segments are meant to look as legitimate as possible. The fact that something like that was so ridiculous is what takes away from a segment like that getting over. I agree the follow up was garbage but it started there. When they try things like that, they can't have ANY ridiculous stuff being thrown in there or you completely lose the pull that a segment like that could have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->