GDT: WWE Backlash (21st May 2017) - Nakamura’s in-ring debut!

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
The match was meh. It should have been Nakamura going in, doing his sports, killing Ziggler and winning easily. It should have been a glorified squash match.

It wasn't. Nakamura was going at 20%, Ziggler was Ziggler and took far too much of the match.

I didn't see any of NXT Nakamura but I imagine WWE Nakamura would be about 20% New Japan Nakamura except when he goes into christ mode twice a year for Summerslam and Wrestlemania. The thing with Nakamura is he's nearly pure gaga as he doesn't strike me as being all that spectacular in a WWE ring. But I didn't see his NXT work, so I'm willing to be corrected on this thought.

Still Nakamura kicked out of all of Ziggler's big moves and it was about 60/40 Nakamura. Remember this was a match to give him street cred as he was in the ring with "two-time former champion Dolph Ziggler" so I don't think it would have done much for either guy if Nakamura to ate him up.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It should of been a showcase of strong style with Ziggler bumping like a boss the entire match.

Doing it the way they did was stupid. One stupid match on a night of stupid matches.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
It should of been a showcase of strong style with Ziggler bumping like a boss the entire match.

Doing it the way they did was stupid. One stupid match on a night of stupid matches.

I just finished AJ/Owens... you may have a point. :laugh:

AJ teasing the Styles Clash is such mark out bait, holy ****.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Talking Smack is so awesome by the way. Erick Rowan literally never mattered to me until he had that GOAT five minute promo on Talking Smack last week where he was the creepiest mother****er in WWE ever. That show has made Jinder and Rowan for me. Imagine talent actually talking and giving promos in character gets them over. Who'd have thunk?

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011

Yep. How the hell do you expect a guy to get over in a debut match when his geek of an opponent gets 80% of the offense?

Also I don't think I heard them mention once his NXT run and how he was the first two-time NXT champion

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I didn't see any of NXT Nakamura but I imagine WWE Nakamura would be about 20% New Japan Nakamura except when he goes into christ mode twice a year for Summerslam and Wrestlemania. The thing with Nakamura is he's nearly pure gaga as he doesn't strike me as being all that spectacular in a WWE ring. But I didn't see his NXT work, so I'm willing to be corrected on this thought.

Still Nakamura kicked out of all of Ziggler's big moves and it was about 60/40 Nakamura. Remember this was a match to give him street cred as he was in the ring with "two-time former champion Dolph Ziggler" so I don't think it would have done much for either guy if Nakamura to ate him up.

You give someone credibility (which is meaningless 'cos Jinder is a thing) by having them beat someone convincingly and cleanly.

Going ~50-50 with someone means that you are on their level. Going 80-20 with someone means you are a level above them. Ziggler has enough credibility (from his past, not his present) to lose a squash match 80-20, and put a guy into the upper tier of guys.

But they didn't do that. They basically said that Nakamura is about as good a Ziggler, and Ziggler is mostly a mid-card afterthought that no one actually cares about. That's not what you want to do.

If Nakamura had come in and had the same kind of match with Styles or Owens then it works. You'd be slotting him on par with the other top tier guys. Just how they did it with Owens on his debut with Cena. If Owens had debuted like he did, but faced Ziggler it wouldn't have done anything. It would have just have said he was a mid-card guy who had a competitive match with a mid-card guy.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Don't worry y'all. It's well established that beating Dolph at your main roster PPV debut sets you up for long term success.

...right...right Tyler Breeze?

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Was NXT Nakamura anything to write home about in the ring? I don't know, that was all just kind of what I was expecting so I'm not negative about it.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Was NXT Nakamura anything to write home about in the ring? I don't know, that was all just kind of what I was expecting so I'm not negative about it.
He did way less in NXT than he did in Japan, but his Takeover matches were still very good. Far better than the Ziggler match.

It's not like I was expecting a Wrestle Kingdom main event or anything, but he gave what I'd put as a TV main event match. Which really isn't what he should have done, he should have done a showcase squash instead.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yes because Orton vs Jinder is your main event story. You could have the greatest mid card on earth, but if your main event sucks, you won't draw.

Jinder/Orton has only been a story for a few weeks. Ratings have been plummeting for much longer than that.

I know I'm on repeat, but the brand split is such a terrible idea.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
JEEZUS

So Orton just murdered the two little Indian guys.
bR6ee5e.gif

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend

:laugh: The first one was bad although the dude looked like he protected himself but that second one was straight off the dude's head and neck. That was a sick bump. I love sick bumps but damn those dudes earned their money taking those bumps like champs.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
The day Jinder was announced as the main event, the tickets stopped selling. They didn't sellout last night.

I wonder how much money is coming in from India? That's what this is all about. The US audience and in-arena attendance doesn't matter in this experiment right now.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
The day Jinder was announced as the main event, the tickets stopped selling. They didn't sellout last night.

Meltzer said that they only sold 300 more tickets after the main event announcement.

India has the most wwe social media usage at the moment.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I wonder how much money is coming in from India? That's what this is all about. The US audience and in-arena attendance doesn't matter in this experiment right now.
None.

That's the big problem with all this. Currently they only really get TV money from India, and it's not great. Obviously the plan in all this is to make Jinder a big "Indian" star, but they are not in a position to exploit it right now, nor anytime soon.

That's the big take away from this. They've made this star for India and still have no way to make money off them. Yes they can work it out down the line, but they could have just as easily have waiting on the Jinder push and worked it all out so they'd be ready when they pushed him later. In the mean time they could have built him up like they did with Corbin so that you don't alienate their by far the most important market (america) in the process.

It's basically bad all round.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Yes because Orton vs Jinder is your main event story. You could have the greatest mid card on earth, but if your main event sucks, you won't draw.
But that's just heaping all the blame onto the main event. The midcard sucks too. It's full of guys who shouldn't be there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad