WWE and A&E To Produce Documentaries on WWE HOFers

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
from variety.com:

2ab4688e5e7e62978b953c38c6add7b3

A&E and WWE Studios will partner to produce five documentaries about some of the most iconic wrestlers of all time in new installments of the “Biography” series.

The two-hour original documentaries will profile “Macho Man” Randy Savage, “Rowdy” Roddy Piper, Booker T, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and Shawn Michaels. As is the standard with the long-running “Biography” series, fans will get an in-depth look at the lives of the wrestlers through new and archival interviews and never-before-seen footage.

“We are thrilled for the tremendous opportunity to partner with WWE Studios to produce these special films that honor some of the most impactful personalities who have left a lasting imprint on pop culture,” said Elaine Frontain Bryant, executive vice president and head of programming at A&E Network.

Billy Corben will direct the documentary on the larger-than-life “Macho Man” Randy Savage. The notorious villain “Rowdy” Roddy Piper’s episode will be helmed by Joe Lavine. Georgy Roy will oversee the showcase on two-time WWE Hall of Fame inductee Booker T. The three films are currently in pre-production and slated to air in spring 2020. The Stone Cold Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels docs will air in 2021.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't trust WWE to do a very good job beyond the surface level. Booker T has an interesting background and I could see that one being very interesting because he hasn't been covered extensively. Savage's time in WWF and WCW has already been pretty well covered, but I would really like to hear about his time as a wrestling outlaw before he went to Memphis and what exactly he did in the 2000s. I'd also like to know what brought about his estrangement from WWE (Stephanie rumours?) but I don't think that WWE will touch it. Piper's background growing up is somewhat interesting but I don't know how much else is there to see. I could be wrong about Piper. Michaels' career has been beaten to death, and I saw that with Michaels as my favourite wrestler ever. I'm curious to see if they will go big down the path of his religion. I'd be most interested in hearing about AWA era Michaels. Austin's career has also been covered extensively, and the part that I'm most interested in (peak Austin) perhaps won't get the in depth treatment due to the domestic abuse charges.

All that said... I'll still watch them all.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
They are WWE shows, so you should treat them the same as all their other documentaries. You enjoy the well made show with the bits they want to tell you, then you find Meltzer or another wrestling historian to tell you what they've deliberately missed out or glossed over.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
These should be interesting. I remember A and E did a week long bio series on wrestlers back in 1999. Owen Hart, Stone Cold, Mick Foley were all featued I believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->