WWE after McMahon retire

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No more than an AHL team will ever beat an NHL team over a season.

NXT is a junior feeder organization with good booking. AEW is the new WCW with legitimate superstars and a "new" appeal with less handcuffs. of course it is going to do well. Only time will tell how it does long term.
Well, they're doing comparable numbers to NXT, so they aren't really any more legitimate stars. As I said earlier in the thread though, from WWE's perspective, putting NXT in the spot they did (and thus Hunter's job) was supposed to crush AEW. They put NXT over big at Survivor Series to give the impression that NXT is a third brand on the same level as Raw and Smackdown. If you notice, they started to refer to Charlotte's winning of the NXT women's title as the same as a 'world title,' retroactively counting her first run as part of being a 12-time champion.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Rock could of been that guy but he left for Hollywood. If he had stayed in wrestling, we likely hadn't yet seen the best of the The Rock and he could of kept the momentum going from the Attitude/Austin era into the Brand Split era.

I don't know about that. Once Rock got big, most of his programs were basically "sing along with the Rock." Do the catchphrases, mention pie, tell somebody it doesn't matter what their name is, "if you smell... what the Rock... is cookin' (eyebrow raise)"

Fans were already eating it up, so with current WWE logic, why change what works?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know about that. Once Rock got big, most of his programs were basically "sing along with the Rock." Do the catchphrases, mention pie, tell somebody it doesn't matter what their name is, "if you smell... what the Rock... is cookin' (eyebrow raise)"

Fans were already eating it up, so with current WWE logic, why change what works?

I don't see how they/he would of had much choice had The Rock stayed to be a full-time performer on TV every week. Every great performer has to evolve at some point, even the best get stale. Undertaker, Austin, Hogan, Sting, etc. all had to modify/tweak/alter their presentation as time moved forward. You can't keep things the same if your on TV every week, people will get sick of it. Heck, the Rock was already hearing it a bit earlier in 2001/2002. But once he went part-time, to no-time, to rare appearance, he was basically a nostalgia act, which you can then lean on the tried and true stuff you've always done. But week in, week out, can't be done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->