NHL Entry Draft: WTK's 2013 Mock Draft

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
1. Florida Panthers: Nathan MacKinnon
- Dynamic talent to work with Huberdeau.
2. Colorado Avalanche: Seth Jones
- Size, skill, minute eating defenseman to compliment a stable of young forwards.
3. Tampa Bay Lightning: Jonathon Drouin
- They may need defense but they can't refuse the thought of Drouin-Stamkos
4. Nashville Predators: Sasha Barkov
- Trotz likes defensively responsible players. He gets one who also has insane offensive upside.
5. Carolina Hurricanes: Darnell Nurse
- The other best players are C's, they've got the two Staals and their D core could use some more valuable pieces. Someone to help counter-balance Ryan Murphy.
6. Calgary Flames: Sean Monahan
- Tempted to take Lindholm but they prefer the canadian kid who can play all zones.
7. Edmonton Oilers: Rasmus Ristolainen
- Still starving for talent on the defensive side of the puck. Oilers get Ristolainen who can also skate with the big talent up front.
8. Buffalo Sabres: Elias Lindholm
- Likely going to lose Vanek in the off-season and need to inject their forward group with some dynamic talent.
9. New Jersey Devils: Valeri Nichuskin
- Can't forfeit their 1st pick in the top 10 of the draft (why didn't they do it last year? smh) and have Kovalchuk as incentive to lure Nichuskin over.
10. Dallas Stars: Hunter Shinkaruk
- Stars desperately need to inject some offense into their team. Take the natural goal scorer out of the WHL.
11. Philadelphia Flyers: Nikita Zadorov
- Flyers need something to off set the loss of Pronger. Zadorov has a whole lot of mean to his game and would make an ideal Flyer.
12. Phoenix Coyotes: Ryan Pulock
- Coyotes like to build a solid foundation of D and play a suffocating game. Pulock can help with that.
13. Winnipeg Jets: Max Domi
- Raising some eye-brows around the league with his play-off play, mixed with grit despite his size. Should help Scheifele on the offensive side in the future.
14. Columbus Blue Jackets: Curtis Lazar
- One of the first round talents who doesn't play on his teams top line. Has a nasty shot, can fight, leadership skills, knows the defensive game well.
15. New York Islanders: Alexander Wennberg
- Grab another player with offensive upside and versatility to help out up front
16. Buffalo Sabres via Minnesota Wild: Zach Fucale
- Rumors of Miller leaving Buffalo? Time to take a new franchise goalie in the draft with a pick they acquired at the deadline.
17. Ottawa Senators: Adam Erne
- Being involved in a physical division, they need to add some grit up front to players like Silfverberg and Zibanejad.
18. Detroit Red Wings: Valentin Zykov
- Aging players at the offensive side of the puck, they have a few prospects, but they like players from the Q and Zykov has all the talent in the world to score goals in the NHL and can benefit from being over-ripened.
19. Columbus Blue Jackets via New York Rangers: Mirco Mueller
- After taking a forward, they add depth to their defense to insulate Bobrovsky and help get the puck up to their forwards.
20. San Jose Sharks: Bo Horvat
- A typical Sharks player who can do so many things on the ice and slot in on a few different lines and be productive.
21. Washington Capitals: Josh Morrissey
- The scoring is back with the Capitals but they could use some more defensive talent, Morrissey can do it all from the back end and could help take pressure off the big 3 (Green, Alzner, Carlson).
22. Toronto Maple Leafs: Zach Nastasiuk
- They might have a new GM but he'll build the team much the same way. Gamble on this power forward who had a good showing at the U-18.
23. Vancouver Canucks: Frederick Gauthier
- They like his upside and hope that he reaches it.
24. Columbus Blue Jackets via L.A. - Anthony Mantha
- After going gritty with their first two picks, they add a guy who knows how to put the puck in the net and has a solid frame.
25. Calgary Flames via St. Louis Blues: Ryan Hartman
- Another typical flames pick, some offensive upside and a lot of heart/desire/grit.
26. Boston Bruins: Justin Bailey
- Searching for more forwards that are like Lucic, Caron etc. they select Bailey and hope he develops those flashes into consistency.
27. Montreal Canadiens: Kerby Rychel
- Montreal needs some scorers who have an edge to their game and isn't afraid to drop them. Rychel could be just that.
28. Anaheim Ducks: Robert Hagg
- Could be a solid anchor for Cam Fowler.
29. Calgary Flames via Pittsburgh Penguins: Jacob De La Rose
- There might be some offensive potential there.. if not he's a 3rd liner and a versatile one.
30. Chicago Blackhawks: Shea Theodore
- A lot of talent up front, so much depth, time to add a bit more to the back end.

I'd really appreciate input from fans of teams. If you have reason to believe that a certain player wouldn't be passed over by said team or won't be selected by said team, let me know and I will think on whether or not I believe the reasoning sufficient to change the lay-out of the mock.

Last edited:

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
In addition to Mueller being an overdraft at 15, I cannot see the Islanders taking a Defenseman unless Nurse or Ristolainen fall to 15. They grabbed an entire draft of Defenseman last year and also have a few at Bridgeport that are close to ready. The Islanders forwards are deep with 3rd and 4th line guys but outside of Strome and Nelson they do not have much in the way of scoring. Nino has upside but I am not sure how thrilled management is with his antics and demanding top six minutes when he has not shown that his play justifies it. Someone like Mantha or Wennberg would be a much better fit

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
In addition to Mueller being an overdraft at 15, I cannot see the Islanders taking a Defenseman unless Nurse or Ristolainen fall to 15. They grabbed an entire draft of Defenseman last year and also have a few at Bridgeport that are close to ready. The Islanders forwards are deep with 3rd and 4th line guys but outside of Strome and Nelson they do not have much in the way of scoring. Nino has upside but I am not sure how thrilled management is with his antics and demanding top six minutes when he has not shown that his play justifies it. Someone like Mantha or Wennberg would be a much better fit

Thanks for the input. I've now adjusted a few of the selections which should make it more accurate. Also credit to the Habs board who have pointed out some things as well.

ceeber

Nov 28, 2008
With Monahan and Barkov Taken, the Oilers would take a Dman... I just think they would take Bigger and Meaner Zadorov ahead of the well rounded Finn.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
With Monahan and Barkov Taken, the Oilers would take a Dman... I just think they would take Bigger and Meaner Zadorov ahead of the well rounded Finn.

I would take Ristolainen over Zadorov in a heartbeat, Ristolainen is much more well rounded.

As for the actual mock it's nice to see someone else who realizes Muellers potential, I would have him even higher than 19.

Theodore and Mantha should be higher.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I would replace De La Rose with Klimchuck or McCoshen for the Flames.

I like the Monahan, Hartman picks though.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Oilers are starving for some talent that will come in now (that can be patched up through trade and Free Agency, not the draft unless it's Seth Jones). Not in 3 years.. we have some good D prospects coming up like Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, Gernat.. Our forward crop is lacking higher end talent.. We have a few prospects like Zharkov and Rajala who are boom or bust guys and the rest of them aren't accumulating to anything more than a marginal 3rd liner, or decent 4th liner. With the top end forward prospects in the draft I really don't see any way the Oilers aren't taking a forward. There is a drop off after Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, Nichushkin. If someone below us wins the lottery and all those forwards are gone by our pick, I like Ristolainen there. But it would be foolish to pass up any of the forwards. The only one to consider passing on is Nichushkin due to the KHL contract situation.

I think people need to stop looking at what we have on forward and defense right now and focus on what's coming up. Or get educated on our D prospects if you don't believe they are good prospects.

If the draft played out like that with Monahan going before us, I'd hope for either Lindholm or Nichushkin.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I think Columbus would look at Wennberg before Lazar. Also think Mueller is a bit high and not a need for Columbus. Unless I miss on the tie breakers I think Columbus picks would be 14, 19 and 22 (not 24). Could be wrong but that would change things as well. I see Gauthier wearing a CBJ sweater in the future....

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Would like to see Calgary pull Lindholm (A guy management has mentioned they really like), Hartman, McCoshen/Theodore/Klimchuck if the draft fell like this

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Oilers are starving for some talent that will come in now (that can be patched up through trade and Free Agency, not the draft unless it's Seth Jones). Not in 3 years.. we have some good D prospects coming up like Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, Gernat.. Our forward crop is lacking higher end talent.. We have a few prospects like Zharkov and Rajala who are boom or bust guys and the rest of them aren't accumulating to anything more than a marginal 3rd liner, or decent 4th liner. With the top end forward prospects in the draft I really don't see any way the Oilers aren't taking a forward. There is a drop off after Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, Nichushkin. If someone below us wins the lottery and all those forwards are gone by our pick, I like Ristolainen there. But it would be foolish to pass up any of the forwards. The only one to consider passing on is Nichushkin due to the KHL contract situation.

I think people need to stop looking at what we have on forward and defense right now and focus on what's coming up. Or get educated on our D prospects if you don't believe they are good prospects.

If the draft played out like that with Monahan going before us, I'd hope for either Lindholm or Nichushkin.

This "we need high end forward" prospect BS is funny. You have Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov and Gagner. Just because they don't fit the HF criterion doesn't mean the Oil need forwards

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Can't comment much on the selection of Nastasiuk to the Leafs, mostly because I don't know much about this guy. Haven't really heard his name brought up too much.

As to other possibilities, I'd look closely at Gauthier. Right now outside of Colborne the center situation in Toronto is pretty small. Kadri, Bozak, Grabovski aren't huge guys. So could see the Leafs picking up that size up the middle. Think he'd certainly fit as an option and the upside is there.

Would also give Rychel a look. Think from the Leafs point of view they can't draft too many guys who play with that kind of grit.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
This "we need high end forward" prospect BS is funny. You have Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov and Gagner. Just because they don't fit the HF criterion doesn't mean the Oil need forwards

ugh.. whatever. It's only a consensus from Oilers fans but take it for what it's worth. :rolleyes:

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
ugh.. whatever. It's only a consensus from Oilers fans but take it for what it's worth. :rolleyes:

Yes, but why is that if you dont mind me asking? You have 5 great forwards 23 years old and younger. While Klefbom is a good prospect, I don't see him having the upside of Zadorov, Ristolainen or Nurse

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Yes, but why is that if you dont mind me asking? You have 5 great forwards 23 years old and younger. While Klefbom is a good prospect, I don't see him having the upside of Zadorov, Ristolainen or Nurse

I don't think many of us would be opposed to taking a D prospect, as long as they play on the left side (w/ Petry/J. Schultz in the future). I'm not sure if we have anyone who's capable of moving the puck on the left side at the moment.

However, a lot of fans see it as the chance to get that two-way centre to slot in behind RNH. I'm happy with either choice.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Buffalo already has Hackett and Enroth and very, very, very, very rarely takes goalies high. Also, we need wingers about 20x as much as we need goalies. My money's on Buffalo picking 2 forwards in the 1st.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Buffalo already has Hackett and Enroth and very, very, very, very rarely takes goalies high. Also, we need wingers about 20x as much as we need goalies. My money's on Buffalo picking 2 forwards in the 1st.

What about dmen? Myers has been struggling and you guys don't have much aside from McNabb

OOEEL

Apr 9, 2012
Arizona
Only way Coyotes take a defenseman in the first round is if they sell off almost all their d-men for forward talent.

Otherwise we need forward help, bad. We scored 1 goal or less in 12 of the 48 games this year, that desperately needs to be addressed. Wennberg/Lazar would be prefered, based on what's on the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00