WTH is wrong with the Sedins?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Or they just need to switch jerseys to fool opposition.

I think this as well, I'm not going to argue against thous that say they are starting to decline, only time will tell. but if I was going to guess, I'd say that there decline will be a long granule one, not a steep fall of the earth. They have years of effective hockey in them.

Well the physical side of the game is often the one that goes first, in fact I say it definitely goes first.

As an example there are older guys(late 40s-50s) in my league who would have played junior in their younger days. They simple cant skate as well as before but their mind for the game is still there and you can see it.

Players who make their name off of their physical attributes are always at risk of losing those attributes as they age.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Or they just need to switch jerseys to fool opposition.

I remember a time when the didn't need to switch jerseys. The two of them would fool linemen that kicked Henrik out of the faceoff dot only to have him pretend to be Daniel and taking the draw anyway.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Wow, is it really time to start freaking out on the Sedins? Seems like someone didn't like them very much in the first place. I see no reason to panic, whatsoever.

Lock it down.

croatNUCKS

Apr 14, 2012
Zagabria
if you ask me .... If they are going to play great in the playoffs ... then I do not worry that now they are playing poorly

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
No Kesler -> No top ranked powerplay.

Sedins made their living on the powerplay more than people are willing to admit. They are not elite even strength goal scorers.

Also, no Ehrhoff. They didn't become dominant until Ehrhoff came, and subsequently went back to 70-80 point status when he left. Not a correlation, but causation.

Dado

If we're all more or less resigned to the Sedins being 75 pt type players, where does the rest of our offense come from?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
No Kesler -> No top ranked powerplay.

Sedins made their living on the powerplay more than people are willing to admit. They are not elite even strength goal scorers.

Also, no Ehrhoff. They didn't become dominant until Ehrhoff came, and subsequently went back to 70-80 point status when he left. Not a correlation, but causation.

10-11: 1st (Daniel) and 5th (Henrik)
09-10: 1st (Henrik) and 5th (Daniel)
08-09: 7th (Daniel) and 11th (Henrik)

Last year was the first year they declined at ES (and even then only one of them) as Henrik finished 12th and Daniel 56th.

blendini

Jul 15, 2012
10-11: 1st (Daniel) and 5th (Henrik)
09-10: 1st (Henrik) and 5th (Daniel)
08-09: 7th (Daniel) and 11th (Henrik)

Last year was the first year they declined at ES (and even then only one of them) as Henrik finished 12th and Daniel 56th.

So glad you posted this response. Also, the dip in last season's play can be attributed to the beating they took during the SCFs. I think they are about ready to return to form. They looked pretty dangerous against the Hawks. I think we'll see some 'Sedinery' tonight.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
So glad you posted this response. Also, the dip in last season's play can be attributed to the beating they took during the SCFs. I think they are about ready to return to form. They looked pretty dangerous against the Hawks. I think we'll see some 'Sedinery' tonight.

Don't forget the 10 games Daniel missed last season. Otherwise he likely finishes Top 30, if not higher.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Hey I love the Sedins as much as anybody, but I think we need to be realistic in the fact that they are declining. They are no longer 100 point players anymore. (Honestly just happy that they actually reached that level, can't say anyone really saw that coming). They are PPG players at best, (which is still damn good, only 10 players scored at a PPG pace last season) and we can't expect the same kind of offensive prowess they once showed where they would single-handedly carry this team to victory by outscoring any problems we had. We should try to surround them with better secondary scoring to carry the load, because we won't be successful as a one-line team (offensively) now that the Sedins aren't lighting up the league anymore.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Daniel has 2 ES points in 9 games, Henrik has 3. Terrible starts for guys we need to rely on heavily with Kesler and Booth out.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Daniel has 2 ES points in 9 games, Henrik has 3. Terrible starts for guys we need to rely on heavily with Kesler and Booth out.

Agree that they need to be better, but I think Kesler and Booth being out is a big reason as to why - teams are able to focus more on the first line.

The Canucks are a pretty easy team to defend against right now. I mean, beyond the first line, who else is going to score? Higgins? Lapierre?

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I'm sure that if they'd been playing in Sweden during the lockout they'd be tearing teams apart. They look rusty, but you occasionally see the flash that they're coming back.

It's no coincidence that there's a bunch of guys around the league having a 'breakout year' that were playing abroad or in the AHL (Kassian could be included in that unfortunately).

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Agree that they need to be better, but I think Kesler and Booth being out is a big reason as to why - teams are able to focus more on the first line.

The Canucks are a pretty easy team to defend against right now. I mean, beyond the first line, who else is going to score? Higgins? Lapierre?

How come some players like Malkin play better when Crosby is out of the lineup, yet the Sedins can't up their game? I honestly think that the Sedins are actually going through a regression and you'll see their stats dip from where they were last season. Next year will get even worse (maybe 60-65 points in 82 games?). If they are to be re-signed, it better be for no more than $4M each.

Outside99*

According to behindthenet (select center and adjust for games played), Henrik has been on the ice for ~ 39%* of Goals For 5 on 5 every year from 2007-08 to 2011-12 (5 years), except 2009-10 where he was on for 50%. This year they're over 50%.

If there is a decline, its for the team as a whole - after going up in 2008-09, and then again in 2009-10 (levelling off in 2010-11), Goals For declined in 2011-12 back to 2008-09 levels.

Major variable that changed: Ehrhoff.

* 39.55%, 38.69%, 39.06%, 38.92%

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
How come some players like Malkin play better when Crosby is out of the lineup, yet the Sedins can't up their game? I honestly think that the Sedins are actually going through a regression and you'll see their stats dip from where they were last season. Next year will get even worse (maybe 60-65 points in 82 games?). If they are to be re-signed, it better be for no more than $4M each.

It's entirely possible that they're regressing - in fact, I think that's probably likely given their ages. But were a long way away from deciding on the dollar figure of their next contracts.

In the short term, they have to be better, especially on the powerplay. Hopefully it's more of a timing issue than anything. We've seen a lot of good players struggle to start this season.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I'm guessing Kessel is on the decline (@ the age of 25) given his zero goals this season so far.:sarcasm:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's entirely possible that they're regressing - in fact, I think that's probably likely given their ages. But were a long way away from deciding on the dollar figure of their next contracts.

In the short term, they have to be better, especially on the powerplay. Hopefully it's more of a timing issue than anything. We've seen a lot of good players struggle to start this season.

Yeah you're probably right. Although I disagree with the "especially on the powerplay" part. I think the powerplay will be fine once the Sedins get Kesler back on their unit. Where I have my concerns is their even strength point production.

I'm guessing Kessel is on the decline (@ the age of 25) given his zero goals this season so far.:sarcasm:

I think Kessel isn't as good as he showed last year anyways, although he's not as bad as he's shown this year either.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
My beef with the Twins right now is that they need to simplify things. They are demons for puck posession, but too often they are looking for the perfect play. When they pull it off (as they did with Tanev last night), it's a thing of beauty. But watching them up to that point was frustrating - so many chances to get the puck on the net and crash for rebounds, which is what Burrows and/or Kassian are there to do, and instead they cycle the puck back to the point.

In summary - I'd just like to see them make the simple play and get the puck to the net. I could extend that criticism to the defensemen, too, who seem to be looking for a clear lane for a one-timer. Forget that, and do the Ehrhoff thing - get off a low, hard wrister and hope for a rebound.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
My beef with the Twins right now is that they need to simplify things. They are demons for puck posession, but too often they are looking for the perfect play. When they pull it off (as they did with Tanev last night), it's a thing of beauty. But watching them up to that point was frustrating - so many chances to get the puck on the net and crash for rebounds, which is what Burrows and/or Kassian are there to do, and instead they cycle the puck back to the point.

In summary - I'd just like to see them make the simple play and get the puck to the net. I could extend that criticism to the defensemen, too, who seem to be looking for a clear lane for a one-timer. Forget that, and do the Ehrhoff thing - get off a low, hard wrister and hope for a rebound.

Or just blast the puck and hope it bounces back to you. That player that went down to block the shot the first time (if you're Garrison or Edler shooting) won't be as willing to go down a second time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->