WTF: John Chayka, Wendy's Franchisee

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If you can write the check, your qualified, thats how it works, provided you don't have a criminal record.
Maybe for some businesses, not a multi million dollar reputable franchise business. I mean, not only is she qualified to run 12 franchises, Wendy's is allowing her to expand. Do you think Wendy's would allow a franchisee to expand if they were not qualified?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
A 25 year old is not likely qualified to captain a 12 franchise business and a 28 year old unqualified hockey GM doesn't need distractions or other business interests. I want my GM 100% focused on hockey, this is a distraction. Experienced 50 year old business people can't multi task well, Chayka isn't a genius. I would bring in a new GM asap.
Are you joking??

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Maybe for some businesses, not a multi million dollar reputable franchise business. I mean, not only is she qualified to run 12 franchises, Wendy's is allowing her to expand. Do you think Wendy's would allow a franchisee to expand if they were not qualified?
Last year Wendy's closed 71 stores and opened 95 new stores, so yes, they need new stores or they are a shrinking business. The bar isn't high to be a franchisee, you just need $$, but I hope it is a successful venture for the Chayka's. My main point is I want my GM 100% focused on hockey, not distracted by another operating business.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I know that, being (North) American, we're inclined to believe that things like "working too hard" and "burnout" don't exist, but if you're a bright guy who can do just as good of a job in 6 hours a day as 8.....

Reactions: Morrison

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Honestly, of all the fast food burger places, Wendy's is probably the best.

Not one of McDonald's, Burger King, or any of the others has chili. Such a simple concept and they use the leftover hamburger meat from the grill to make it. Say a patty comes apart while cooking - other restaurants toss it, Wendy's puts it in their chili. Smart, cutting-edge, and I am pretty certain that the word premium might be on the chili container.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I know that, being (North) American, we're inclined to believe that things like "working too hard" and "burnout" don't exist, but if you're a bright guy who can do just as good of a job in 6 hours a day as 8.....

Also, if you're a bright guy, you build a good team to manage your day-to-day business interests so that you can apportion quality time to each of them.

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don’t see what’s wrong with it. The guy is using family assets to diversify his income.

I bet we would all do this if we had the scratch to pull it off
I don't think I'd ever become a owner or franchisee in a food-service to diversify, but it really is his and his wive's money, time, life, etc. A lot of people invest their spare money and time into operating or owning other companies, rental properties, etc. Unless there is evidence it is directly impacting his "real job" (they might actually make more as franchisees), it should be a nonissue. It's not like he's managing 17 restaurants, filling out schedules, and covering shifts. They pay people to deal with the minutiae.

Reactions: Jakey53

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Not one of McDonald's, Burger King, or any of the others has chili. Such a simple concept and they use the leftover hamburger meat from the grill to make it. Say a patty comes apart while cooking - other restaurants toss it, Wendy's puts it in their chili. Smart, cutting-edge, and I am pretty certain that the word premium might be on the chili container.

I like Wendy's, but never had the chili. Hard to eat with one hand while I drive.

Reactions: Biz20

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Last year Wendy's closed 71 stores and opened 95 new stores, so yes, they need new stores or they are a shrinking business. The bar isn't high to be a franchisee, you just need $$, but I hope it is a successful venture for the Chayka's. My main point is I want my GM 100% focused on hockey, not distracted by another operating business.
What does that have to do with being qualified or not? Franchisor's of Wendy's size close and open stores all the time, most closing have nothing to do with the qualifications of a franchisee. If you are an astute business man you delicate your work load. I hope you don't think the Chayka's are in their stores flipping burgers everyday.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Maybe in Canada but not here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The shocking thing to me while reading this thread is that there are some people in here who didn’t know about this yet.
I think most of us knew, but Chayka came across like he is more involved than some think he should.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Maybe in Canada but not here.
Wendy's is definitely the best of the national drive through burger places. There are regional drive throughs that are better. There are places without drive throughs that are better. But of the big drive through fast food places, Wendy's is definitely the best. I can't think of anything that comes close.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Wendy's is definitely the best of the national drive through burger places. There are regional drive throughs that are better. There are places without drive throughs that are better. But of the big drive through fast food places, Wendy's is definitely the best. I can't think of anything that comes close.

Totally agreed - their salads are underrated and they were the innovators of the dollar menu and Biggie fries and drinks.

Maybe I need someone to make this an avatar with Chayka and the words: "Premium is our recipe", as shown below

intro-1536179211.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad