WTF: John Chayka, Wendy's Franchisee

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Its hypocritical to be a healthy eater and own a Wendy's franchise, there food is garbage. I wouldn't want my GM moonlighting and owning another business that consumes the kind of time required of a franchisee, and obviously from the article, he is playing a very active role. I want him focused 100% on the Coyotes. If I were Barroway, I would need to be convinced he is spending very little time on this venture and if not, I would find a new GM.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Its hypocritical to be a healthy eater and own a Wendy's franchise, there food is garbage. I wouldn't want my GM moonlighting and owning another business that consumes the kind of time required of a franchisee, and obviously from the article, he is playing a very active role. I want him focused 100% on the Coyotes. If I were Barroway, I would need to be convinced he is spending very little time on this venture and if not, I would find a new GM.
His wife is the captain of that ship. He worries about hockey. She worries about burgers.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
His wife is the captain of that ship. He worries about hockey. She worries about burgers.
A 25 year old is not likely qualified to captain a 12 franchise business and a 28 year old unqualified hockey GM doesn't need distractions or other business interests. I want my GM 100% focused on hockey, this is a distraction. Experienced 50 year old business people can't multi task well, Chayka isn't a genius. I would bring in a new GM asap.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
A 25 year old is not likely qualified to captain a 12 franchise business and a 28 year old unqualified hockey GM doesn't need distractions or other business interests. I want my GM 100% focused on hockey, this is a distraction. Experienced 50 year old business people can't multi task well, Chayka isn't a genius. I would bring in a new GM asap.
I wouldn't necessarily fire him. I'd give him the choice of one or the other. Be a GM or be a fast food owner.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
So Barroway, a venture capitalist, can have his hands in multiple businesses but Chayka cannot?

It's not like this is a new thing. He's had those restaurants since before he was hired. I don't think it's affected his performance to date.
Barroway owns the team and hires people to run it for him. I wouldn't want somebody running my business and be involved with, on an executive level, another business. My experience tells me this is a bad idea. Chayka needs to be 100% focused on the Coyotes if he is my GM, no moonlighting. That press release sounds like he isn't passive with his other business.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Holy buckets, what a set of unwarranted generalizations.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
IF she wasn't qualified Wendy's would not have allowed it. I would think Wendy's has a bit more experience than you when it comes to running their business. Besides, it's his wife's baby. I would venture to guess that many NHL GM's have other business interests besides hockey.

Reactions: Edenjung

cobra427

May 6, 2012
IF she wasn't qualified Wendy's would not have allowed it. I would think Wendy's has a bit more experience than you when it comes to running their business. Besides, it's his wife's baby. I would venture to guess that many NHL GM's have other business interests besides hockey.
If you can write the check, your qualified, thats how it works, provided you don't have a criminal record.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
^ That just made me think of the old Billy Connolly bit...

"My advice to you, if you want to lose a bit of weight: don't eat anything that comes in a bucket. Buckets are the kitchen utensils of the farmyard..."

Reactions: Edenjung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad