WTF is wrong with Patches ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Replays showed that Pacioretty scored his first two goals against GOAT and Brodin. If that is "weaker" competition........

A little bit of context is required though. I tracked the quality of opposition last night. Pacioretty, Gallagher and Desharnais were repeatedly thrown out against the Stoner-Prosser pairing, Yeo would switch the pairing mid-shift to get out Suter and Brodin, but the line always already had possession of the puck by the time the pairing switched.

Interesting to note, Yeo split up Brodin and Suter in the 3rd.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
A little bit of context is required though. I tracked the quality of opposition last night. Pacioretty, Gallagher and Desharnais were repeatedly thrown out against the Stoner-Prosser pairing, Yeo would switch the pairing mid-shift to get out Suter and Brodin, but the line always already had possession of the puck by the time the pairing switched.

Interesting to note, Yeo split up Brodin and Suter in the 3rd.

That's fair, although the Patches-DD pairing still made the two D-men look rather lost on the two goals, particularly the second one. Actually, now that I think about it, Suter was godawful all game.....

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Pacioretty fired his agent....

Then he goes public complaining about having to play more of a defensive game, covering his man and that his offensive game is going down because of that.

So, technically speaking....he was complaining about not having those sheltered minutes he and DD are used to get for the last 2 years.

And tonight they played just 15ish minutes...cause they mostly faced bottom 6/3rd pairing defense. Therrien give him those sheltered minutes.

I already knew DD absolutely need those to be effective....but i'm starting to think that Pacioretty also need them to be that effective. But young veteran like those should let those minutes to the kids like Galchenyuk or Bournival.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Pacioretty traded....

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Then he goes public complaining about having to play more of a defensive game, covering his man and that his offensive game is going down because of that.

So, technically speaking....he was complaining about not having those sheltered minutes he and DD are used to get for the last 2 years.

And tonight they played just 15ish minutes...cause they mostly faced bottom 6/3rd pairing defense. Therrien give him those sheltered minutes.

I already knew DD absolutely need those to be effective....but i'm starting to think that Pacioretty also need them to be that effective. But young veteran like those should let those minutes to the kids like Galchenyuk or Bournival.

Pacioretty can get what he wishes for, by being shipped out to hockey hell, aka Edmonton. There, cheating for offense is perfectly acceptable, well except when you're a certain Russian...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think you misinterpret what Pacioretty was saying.. he was saying there is no need to say we are being good defensively because Price is playing well and we block a **** ton of shots, we block a **** ton of shots because we're not good at transitioning, clearing our zone and we're forced to play in our own end for long stretches of games.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I think you misinterpret what Pacioretty was saying.. he was saying there is no need to say we are being good defensively because Price is playing well and we block a **** ton of shots, we block a **** ton of shots because we're not good at transitioning, clearing our zone and we're forced to play in our own end for long stretches of games.

Be careful with your logic, they may burn you at the stake.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton

Pacioretty has moved up against better opposition a number of time in his career and killed it. Pacioretty-Plekanec has been dominant as a two-way line the times they've been together over his career.

Pacioretty's scoring slump was most likely a combination of shooting blanks for a bit and injury recovery than an inherent difficulty in playing against a better class of player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Pacioretty has moved up against better opposition a number of time in his career and killed it. Pacioretty-Plekanec has been dominant as a two-way line the times they've been together over his career.

Pacioretty's scoring slump was most likely a combination of shooting blanks for a bit and injury recovery than an inherent difficulty in playing against a better class of player.
I didn't see him against the Rangers but in the previous game he was showing signs of playing better. I'm sure the injury had something to do with things.

Last night he was fired up and played a great game. If he can get going that will be a huge boost for us. And when he does score it usually comes in bunches. I expect him to stay hot for a while (thought it might be wishful thinking.)

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Pacioretty has always sucked after coming back from an injury and then tears it up. I don't know if it's rust or coming back too soon or what...

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
First pass in the skates and second pass just lucky Patches was there... lol

Both times DD found him on the ice. If he did not actively made the play, Patches would never have gotten the puck. And the second one it was right on the tape. Like DD used to do. He didn't get 60 points by being lucky, he was one of the greatest passer we had before the slump.

Max cannot score without DD.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Both times DD found him on the ice. If he did not actively made the play, Patches would never have gotten the puck. And the second one it was right on the tape. Like DD used to do. He didn't get 60 points by being lucky, he was one of the greatest passer we had before the slump.

Max cannot score without DD.

That statement is demonstrably false. Ever since he established himself in the NHL Pacioretty's goal scoring is essentially the same with and without Desharnais. If you've seen Pacioretty scoring mostly with Desharnais on the ice, that's because of the amount of time spent with Desharnais, not that his production dries up when they are appart.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That's fair, although the Patches-DD pairing still made the two D-men look rather lost on the two goals, particularly the second one. Actually, now that I think about it, Suter was godawful all game.....

Even Moen made Suter look awful..

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
sorry yeah the OP, its sort of fun to have the punching bag of the team ie. DD but when we start abusing our top line players when they are down, i have a problem with that, i think a little criticism is fine, but Patches actually played a pretty decent game vs. Rangers, and he will definitely rebound, even Pleks a couple seasons ago was really snake bitten, had a disappointing season then bounced right back following year. This is allowed, we know he has the talent, let him be.

I just have to add.......I told you so :nod: in the nicest happiest way.....go habs

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No idea. He just keeps scoring and scoring and scoring...makes no sense. Something is definately wrong. :D

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Oh, yeah. He's not gonna win any cups by himself. But he's a legitimate first line winger. And people will realise how silly they're being in a month or two when he's leading us in goals. People forget that he had a rough start last year too, and that was without an injury. He also didn't have to contend with DD playing the worst hockey in his professional career.

Prophet.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Oh man the headline on canadiens.com is WOLVERINE POWER... Max's mutant powers being exposed. Do it for jean Grey! :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad