WTF is wrong with Patches ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
he was underwhelming last year even though he put up lots of points. Far too often invisible and way too soft.

Apr 28, 2010
I really hope Patches is playing with some kind of injury. His play lately is just inexcusable. When things aren't going your way, just go back to basics. Crash the net. Don't have to do everything by yourself. Look for one-timers or something.

void

Jan 5, 2006
I have a confession to make... I always thought Pacioretty was WAY overrated.

*Runs and hides*

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
he was underwhelming last year even though he put up lots of points. Far too often invisible and way too soft.

He is in need of a big kick in the ass...I watch him each and every shift and he constantly floats. Cole was the anti-floater...he would get the puck and skate north, uphill, and into traffic. Pacioretty doesn't carry the puck and normally doesn't even take any strides when he has it. Part of me can't blame him, I mean after what happened to him vs Chara had to be psychologically traumatic...but it is what it is.

He just doesn't move his legs.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He isn't being used properly, or at least he's placed in much harder positions this year.
Much harder competition, a lot less offensive zone faceoffs, unstable linemates. Not surprised he's struggling more.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Pacioretty needs to get back to the way he played when he was with Gomez and Gionta. He scored almost all his goals being a pain in the ass in front of the net, being aggressive on loose pucks. He was also a great puck retriever for that duo, aggressive on the forecheck.

Ever since late in that 35 goal season with Cole and Desharnais, Pacioretty has this conception of himself as a sniper. While he has a great shot, what made him successful was finding holes in traffic. He doesn't need to be powerfoward and bang bodies, he does need to fight for positioning which he has stopped doing. Now he just waits for a perfect set up and seems more content on dangling instead of beating the opponent with his speed for inside position. The only time he plays like the latter is when he is on the penalty kill.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
He got hurt last year and wasn't the same, then again he got hurt this year in the first game, then he got hurt again. He hasn't been hasn't been the same since the injuries and seems to be more apprehensive. The question mark is whether he will ever return to what he was.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think his slump is a statistical fluctuation and I for one am not taking it seriously. I expect him to be a consistent 60 point player over the next few years.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Wasn't it Cam Ward last year who got him going on the fluke goal that started his season last year. He just needs one of those

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
At his age and with the package he brings to the game, even if I don't particularly like him, I think he shouldn't be trade.

The problem has more to do with fans' perception of what he is vs what they wish he would be.

The truth is while having all the tools to be one, he's not a power forward. He plays a perimeter game, which is ok for me if the team has other players who are power forwards.

I think Pacioretty will become a very good complementary part in a very good team. Like a very good 20-25 goals second liner. While he doesn't use his size much, it is still an asset as d-men can't knock him off the puck too easily. In fact, he should play WITH a power forward, as his better season with Cole showed.

And don't forget he's developping a good game on the PK. It's rare to have a young player who's big and fast, quite good on the PK, and able to score 20 goals. But like I said, the team does need a player who would play like we wish he could play.

So I say keep him. But of course, if a nice offer is made, he's definitively not untouchable.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
I think his slump is a statistical fluctuation and I for one am not taking it seriously. I expect him to be a consistent 60 point player over the next few years.

We have a winner.

Seriously, all scorers are streaky. He's still a shot machine. It'll start going in on volume.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's playing hurt and came back too early, that's my assessment anyway.

He's not a power forward and never will be. Neither was John Leclair btw and we all know what happened to him when we dealt him away.

We've put him with weak teammates and he's still been pretty successful. For those suggesting that we deal him... selling low is never a smart move.

Let him get healthy, play him with Plecs and Bournival and wait for him to come around. Not much else we can do here.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
For how long we are going to use" he just came back from an injury" ? His speed is clearly there but his hockey IQ is seriously lacking right now. He needs to wake up because we really need him.

elsubz

Nov 3, 2007
Also, id like to point out that Pacioretty wasnt particularly good last season despite his good production. People forget fast and will base their opinion on his production but he was playing like he is now which is a perimeter game, not much hitting etc..

Thank you sir. The guy as an amazing shot, some great speed and that's about it. Well below average hockey IQ. His passes attempts are simply dreadful.

Toastman

Oct 12, 2011
Personally, I don't think he is the problem. IMO, the problem is, and has been for a while, the ability of our D to bring the puck to the offensive zone (good outlet pass is an example).

If you watch our D carefully, most of the time they either dump the puck, or make a pass to a player who is covered and would not be able to control the puck when he receives it.
Once we can get better outlet passing, I think the goals will come.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Some of you need to take a breather. This is one of those bookmark threads for a few months down the line when you want to shame someone.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We've already seen the best of Pac. Let's hope he can find his best again... otherwise he's a 20-20 guy
I don't think so at all. I think he's going to be a consistent 30/30+ guy. He just needs to stay healthy.

Also, we should be giving him better linemates going forward...

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
he is like a better version of Ryder.

We may not want to admit it, but that is not a bad assessment.

Having a better Ryder on a roster is not a bad thing...when you don't heavily rely on such a player. This type of player is meant to complement the roster not "make" the roster.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
We may not want to admit it, but that is not a bad assessment.

Having a better Ryder on a roster is not a bad thing...when you don't heavily rely on such a player. This type of player is meant to complement the roster not "make" the roster.

I agree but not Ryder. Pacioretty is a complimentary 1st line forward. However, unlike Ryder I think Max can play PK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->