WTF is wrong with Patches ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemons

Mar 26, 2008
The only reason I feel hes not taking any slack is because his name isn't Kostitsyn. True story. He's been abysmal on the score sheet. Hasn't made any "defining plays" and is just hurt alot. 12 games 4 points -5 and no points in his last 2 games.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Also, id like to point out that Pacioretty wasnt particularly good last season despite his good production. People forget fast and will base their opinion on his production but he was playing like he is now which is a perimeter game, not much hitting etc..

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Playing with DD who is awful and Plekanec who he has zero chemistry with. He'll randomly score a goal then score 10 more, that's how Patches works. He'll never be consistently good.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Point is, I wasn't impressed by his game last year. A lot of fluke goals and he rarely ever 'earns' his points compared to Eller/Gallagher/Galchenyuk.

I swear most of his assists last year came from giving it to Subban on the PP. There are moments where he's dominant with his shot but most of the time he's pretty invisible and he has to start using his body more and crash the net like he did in 2010-12.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The only reason I feel hes not taking any slack is because his name isn't Kostitsyn. True story. He's been abysmal on the score sheet. Hasn't made any "defining plays" and is just hurt alot. 12 games 4 points -5 and no points in his last 2 games.

He gets a temporary pass because this was exactly how he started last season. If he doesn't shake off those cobwebs in a week or two we can start to worry.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
He's been terrible.

I think he overachieved with his big 30+ goal season. In reality he's a 2nd line winger, good for 20 goals 20 assists.

He's similar to Kulemin, when Kulemin used to be good.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Overrated, cant believe some fans said they wouldnt trade him one vs one vs Yakupov

He had 3 points in 3 games before getting injured and hasn't been able to produce for 7 games since returning.

Apparently this cancels out previous 160 games where he has 62 goals/128 points.

Why am I not surprised. :laugh:

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
He isn't a power forward and doesn't generate chances for himself. Playing with a centre that doesn't get him nice passes is a hinderance.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006
I think he overachieved with his big 30+ goal season. In reality he's a 2nd line winger, good for 20 goals 20 assists.

He had 39 points in 44 games last year...

He isn't a power forward and doesn't generate chances for himself. Playing with a centre that doesn't get him nice passes is a hinderance.

And yet he somehow ended up as our top scorer the past two seasons. Not bad for a guy who doesn't generate chances for himself.

Pacioretty has been playing poorly for about 10 games and he's now a worthless piece of trash? Gotta love this city.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Offensize Zone Start %: 41.3

Last year he started 63.6% in the offensive zone so that's obviously a factor in his drop in production

Also, he's facing the toughest QoC out of anyone on the team.

Therrien is giving him really tough minutes with ****** teammates for most of the year, combine that with his injuries and it's not surprising he's struggling so far.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Point is, I wasn't impressed by his game last year. A lot of fluke goals and he rarely ever 'earns' his points compared to Eller/Gallagher/Galchenyuk.

I swear most of his assists last year came from giving it to Subban on the PP. There are moments where he's dominant with his shot but most of the time he's pretty invisible and he has to start using his body more and crash the net like he did in 2010-12.

Also, id like to point out that Pacioretty wasnt particularly good last season despite his good production. People forget fast and will base their opinion on his production but he was playing like he is now which is a perimeter game, not much hitting etc..

I also feel the same way. He may have finished 1st for points but he was invisible on the ice most of the time. I thought he had some "sniping" ability when he was playing with Cole and Desharnais. I haven't seen him using a nice shot for a while. His shots always end up in the goalie's chest.

• Wow
Reactions: Canadienna

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
He had 39 points in 44 games last year...

And yet he somehow ended up as our top scorer the past two seasons. Not bad for a guy who doesn't generate chances for himself.

Pacioretty has been playing poorly for about 10 games and he's now a worthless piece of trash? Gotta love this city.

He is a perimeter player, he doesn't crash the net and rarely goes to the dirty areas. He also has a great shot and that is how he makes his money. Calm your ****, he is like a better version of Ryder.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Wolverine's Adamantium is letting him down...

He was great in the pre-season and looked good to start the year driving the net more than I've ever seen him do - unfortunatley that's how he got hurt

He's obviously come back too early and is a little gunshy to push himself + the line juggling and DD's Houdini Act can't be helping

He gets a pass for now

KoZed

Mar 28, 2009
Q
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and guess his hamstring injury is still bothering him. That's the only explanation I can find for him just not moving his legs and letting himself glide on the ice while avoiding traffic, aside from having caught Latendresse Syndrome and imagining himself to be able to score while staying on the perimeter.

That's why he couldn't do **** with every C he's been given. DD has nothing to do with it. Max Pac just isn't efficient. He's OK below the circles while cycling, but he stays there and never goes to the net, so no rebound & no deflections. Plus on the rush he doesn't try to drive the puck to the net anymore. He goes at it Giostyle: stays in his lane and waits to be in a horrible angle before shooting wide or in the goalie's crest.

The efficient Max Pac was going in traffic to shoot lasers and/or had linemates in the paint to deflect/bang in his passes/shots.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I think the term Power Forward is both overused and misused. The prototype was Cam Neely. How many guys in the game today can emulate Neely's game?

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
Max has the 'showing up to a gun fight with a knife' syndrome.
I'll wait to pass judgment until he gets linemates over 5'8 and 160 lbs

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Amusing. He plays with DD and DD has the best wingers!!!! Now "he was never that good".

Bravo HF.

He's a very good player. I see it in the way he plays, his hustle, his speed, his shot, etc...

We can bust pacioretty but it seems like many players are far from their best form besides the EGG line.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Why there has to be something wrong with Pacioretty? Perhaps there's something wrong with you!!!!

Kidding aside, Patches has turned into a perimeter player. He doesn't use his size after he got married. Now he's playing it safe so no more Chara kind of plays. Plus the fact that he's been rumored to be going to Edmonton for Nail Yakupov.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Seriously, I don't understand why big players like Pacioretty and Bourque "refuses" to play like Gallagher. So much more effective than shooting on the perimeter. I get that Pacioretty is a sniper but he also has to create his own space. If he refuses to play more physical, he will have a hard time to score goals, espescially with a midget center like DD who can't win a puck battle and feed him the puck.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pacioretty should have saved his tough guy talk against Coderre in defending a teammate who has been given an inordinate number of chances while not having deserved them -- while he finds himself in a production slide.

The Chara incident, the loss of Cole, the recurring injuries, his off ice tough-guy act that he can't back up on the ice, his failure to use his big body on a team that is lacking size, don't help his cause.

But, he's only 24, not in his prime and signed to a dirt-cheap long-term deal. He's not likely to depreciate here on forward -- he should only get better.

I'd hold and not want to live through more McDonaugh, Langway and John LeClair situations where a player takes it to the next level and we missed out yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad