WSHL level

mnt

Aug 4, 2014
Hi,
not sure if this belongs in here, as I am not familiar with the junior leagues in the US.
Is there any chance a 20y/o WSHL player could make it to the AHL or a premier European league (say Sweden, Finland, Switzerland). Has it happened already?
Thanx!

Dec 13, 2010
Last year the WSHL didn't commit any NCAA Div I players. I guess it's possible, but if you're not playing Div I hockey it's probably not happening. I don't know enough about the history of the league to say if any player has come out and played pro hockey at a high level (AHL/Europe) but I don't think they have any bigger prospects atm. Especially hard for a 20 y/o

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
Hi,
not sure if this belongs in here, as I am not familiar with the junior leagues in the US.
Is there any chance a 20y/o WSHL player could make it to the AHL or a premier European league (say Sweden, Finland, Switzerland). Has it happened already?
Thanx!

Although the WSHL is an independent Jr league outside of the umbrella of USA Hockey, it has increased is reputability over the past 5 years. The top programs in the WSHL produce a growing number of NCAA DIII and ACHA DI talent as well as others who moved up to the NAHL and tier II Canadian leagues. Also a growing number of import players that play in the European Pro leagues after finishing their careers in the WSHL instead of playing College Hockey. I don't believe there's been a WSHL alumn in the AHL yet.

As a 20 yr old playing junior hockey, I suggest getting good grades if in school, studying and getting good scores for the ACT or SAT, and looking for those NCAA DIII or NAIA and varsity-club ACHA DI schools, or if less talented ACHA DII programs and getting a college education before testing the minor pro route. Even after playing NCAA DI hockey, minor pro careers generally only last a handful of years. College education gives a good fallback once hockey ends.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
SMH.

AAU lost two leagues right at the start of the year.

Of course, the whole pay-for-play junior hockey scene got ridiculous this year. Lots of expansion... most of which has already gone away by folding. The numbers of parents errrrrr kids willing to pay to play is not growing with the number of opportunities, not to mention it hardly contributes to watchable hockey.

The WSHL itself is strong enough to manage well... likely even to outlast the AAU. However, please do your homework. An individual team in any of these leagues could be an ugly mess.

BirkBorkasson

Oct 13, 2013
Hi,

As we from Sweden knows, NAHL is a league where you pay for food and houseroom everything else is included. In WSHL you also pay a playing fee,will that fee now be taken away as WSHL is a TIER2?

Slowe

Feb 8, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
I wouldn't assume anything at this point. Several years ago the WSHL broke away from USAH, the regulating body for the large majority of youth and junior leagues in the US. They are now run by the AAU which is desperately trying to grow its hockey influence. So they can call it tier 2 junior, but they don't have to play by the same rules as the current tier 2 junior league, the NAHL. The WSHL is definitely below the NAHL at this point. It remains to be seen if this is a marketing ploy or if they will provide the same financial support the NAHL does to attract higher level talent.

RJB

Nov 2, 2013
I wouldn't assume anything at this point. Several years ago the WSHL broke away from USAH, the regulating body for the large majority of youth and junior leagues in the US. They are now run by the AAU which is desperately trying to grow its hockey influence. So they can call it tier 2 junior, but they don't have to play by the same rules as the current tier 2 junior league, the NAHL. The WSHL is definitely below the NAHL at this point. It remains to be seen if this is a marketing ploy or if they will provide the same financial support the NAHL does to attract higher level talent.

What is the AAU and the difference between the AAU and USAH?
Does the financial support you mention come from the teams' ownership groups or elsewhere? Lastly, are the NAHL and WSHL permitted to sign Canadian players and if so, where would 17-18 year olds attend school? High school? On-line courses? Other?

Slowe

Feb 8, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
USAH is the governing body that sets rules for youth and junior teams to make sure there are standards in place. USAH governs the USHL, the NAHL, most junior leagues, and the majority of youth leagues. The AAU does this, but historically for non hockey sports. They want to break into hockey and are now organizing some youth and junior leagues, most notably the WSHL. The WSHL used to be USAH, but became unhappy with some policy or another and jumped ship. As a different governing body their "tier 2" may not mean the same thing in terms of money or quality of play. USAH leagues have more history and reputation.

Tier 1 (USHL) and to a lesser extent tier 2 (NAHL) junior teams provide financial assistance to players based on ticket sales profits. Tier 3 teams charge the full cost to players to play and provide a living situation. Junior teams help coordinate schooling, encourage part time jobs, or volunteer work. Each league may have unique policies. Some teams are more helpful or well run than others. The team should help you get set up with a billet family. I'd guess that influences the high school they help you get set up in.

Yes they most certainly do take Canadians. Tier 3 teams have an import limit (I think 2-4 per team?). Not sure about the NAHL. Like any team you have to get noticed and be good enough to warrant a spot. Be careful with tier 3 teams though. Make sure it's a well run team and not just out to cash a check. They have over expanded and are now poorly run teams are desperate for any player just to fill out the roster, regardless of talent.

Last edited:

BirkBorkasson

Oct 13, 2013
Where can we find info regarding all different leagues you have in the US?
In Sweden we know that NAHL ia a Tier 2 and better then WSHL that is a Tier2/3.
Seeks info regarding the quality and off course the cost.

Have a son born 96 that have played in the swedish senior div.2 for the past two seasons now, and on what level may he be in the US.
And also, how is it in Canada, regading leagues and so on.

Slowe

Feb 8, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
Where can we find info regarding all different leagues you have in the US?
In Sweden we know that NAHL ia a Tier 2 and better then WSHL that is a Tier2/3.
Seeks info regarding the quality and off course the cost.

Have a son born 96 that have played in the swedish senior div.2 for the past two seasons now, and on what level may he be in the US.
And also, how is it in Canada, regading leagues and so on.

Here's some more detail on the difference between the USHL (tier 1), NAHL (tier 2), and the various tier 3 leagues.

http://www.ushl.com/juniorhockeyus

The USHL being the best is the primary feeder for Division 1 NCAA college programs. Those are the best programs where kids get free play, scholarships to school, and if they are good a crack at high level pro leagues. The NAHL can still supply D1 schools but it tends to be older kids who took longer to develop. 20-22 year olds. It will also supply D3 NCAA colleges (there is no real NCAA D2 league play). They offer free play but no scholarships. Kids may get a chance at lower pro leagues. Tier 3 junior programs typically tend to feed ACHA college programs. The ACHA is generally a lower step organization compared to the NCAA. Kids predominantly have to pay to play there and pay for school. A crack at low level pro leagues from here is rarer but not unheard of.

Here's a very recent article comparing the various leagues ability to develop players. At this level you really want to evaluate a team more than the league as each varies in how well it is run. Since you are paying to play you can shop around as to what team you'd like to join.

http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/?p=45169

As for comparing a swedish league to here I unfortunately have no idea. I'm also less familiar with the Canadian leagues...

BirkBorkasson

Oct 13, 2013
Here's some more detail on the difference between the USHL (tier 1), NAHL (tier 2), and the various tier 3 leagues.

http://www.ushl.com/juniorhockeyus

The USHL being the best is the primary feeder for Division 1 NCAA college programs. Those are the best programs where kids get free play, scholarships to school, and if they are good a crack at high level pro leagues. The NAHL can still supply D1 schools but it tends to be older kids who took longer to develop. 20-22 year olds. It will also supply D3 NCAA colleges (there is no real NCAA D2 league play). They offer free play but no scholarships. Kids may get a chance at lower pro leagues. Tier 3 junior programs typically tend to feed ACHA college programs. The ACHA is generally a lower step organization compared to the NCAA. Kids predominantly have to pay to play there and pay for school. A crack at low level pro leagues from here is rarer but not unheard of.

Here's a very recent article comparing the various leagues ability to develop players. At this level you really want to evaluate a team more than the league as each varies in how well it is run. Since you are paying to play you can shop around as to what team you'd like to join.

http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/?p=45169

As for comparing a swedish league to here I unfortunately have no idea. I'm also less familiar with the Canadian leagues...

Thanks

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
WSHL tier 2 in name only.

fact is WSHL is the equivalent of a mid level tier 3 league. Also the majority of the NAHL teams probably should be playing in a tier 3 league as well. Currently , the USPHL Premier is probably stronger overall than the NAHL with the exception of top 4 teams being about equivalent to top 4 of USPHL. However, the Tier 3 USPHL remains a pay to play league and that fact will ALWAYS hold it back from what it could have been. Recent expansion will serve only to line pockets and dilute the league.

GhostofS16*

Also the majority of the NAHL teams probably should be playing in a tier 3 league as well.

I get it: you love the USPHL Premier. However, that statement you made about the NAHL is a tad unfair and over board.

USA Hockey or AAU? It's all good. If a parent/kid digs an organization and it's a good fit, then that's probably a good organization. There are plenty of resources out there for parents to be aware of what to look for in an organization. Slowe linked to some of those resources. It's all about the path the player is on and role the player wants to play. Spouting about which league is better or which organizing body is better needs to end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad