Confirmed Trade: [WSH/NJ] Marcus Johansson to NJ for 2018 2nd, 3rd

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Well, he's a guy who has averaged a 55 point pace over the past 2 seasons, and has averaged a 50 point pace his entire career (excluding his rookie season). He's also coming off a career high 24 goal 58 point campaign and is only 26.

His production would suggest he's a low end 1W / high end 2W (58th among wingers in P/GP since 2011 w/ > 200 gp.) But has the added value of being able to play all 3 forward positions.

Getting a guy like that for 2 draft picks between 40 and 80 is a pretty good deal, as it's unlikely those 2 draft picks play more than 50 NHL games between them.

The best part is we still have a 2nd and 3rd in this draft still after the trade.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Dear lord no. :laugh:

Even still, his comment called 90 a center, despite him being a winger for the last 5 years.

The ignorance here is amazing.

Johansson can absolutly play center, and has played center alot the last 5 years.

On what ground should you consider Kuz be considerable better than Mojo when they have about the same point productions on the same team, and Mojo score more goals?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The fact you claim that Johansson has played "a lot" of center over the past five years proves you don't watch the Capitals.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
C-gratts Belsebubbs!

Team Sweden A

Filip Forsberg - Nicklas Backstrom - William Nylander
Alexander Steen - Alexander Wennberg - Rickard Rakell
Gabriel Landeskog - Mikael Backlund - Jakob Silfverberg
Marcus Johansson - Mika Zibanejad - Henrik Zetterberg

Mattias Ekholm - Erik Karlsson
Victor Hedman - Anton Stralman
Oliver Ekman Larsson - Adam Larsson

Henrik Lundqvist
Jacob Markstrom

Team Sweden B

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Viktor Arvidsson
Gustav Nyquist - Victor Rask - Elias Lindholm
Andre Burakovsky - Patrik Berglund - Loui Eriksson
Carl Hagelin - Marcus Kruger - Patric Hörnqvist

Hampus Lindholm - Niklas Hjalmarsson
Alexander Edler - John Klingberg
Oscar Klefbom - Jonas Brodin

Robin Lehner
Anders Nilsson

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Johansson can absolutly play center, and has played center alot the last 5 years.

On what ground should you consider Kuz be considerable better than Mojo when they have about the same point productions on the same team, and Mojo score more goals?

What are you talking about? Johansson has played less than 10 games as a center in the last decade.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Not sure many folks here have really watched Marcus Johansson over the years. As long time Caps fan I have. He's Tomas Fleischmann with more speed but less dangle. His game is more suited to the European and International ice, where you have more time and space. You may think highly of his game in October and November, where tight checking and physicality is not as apparent, but come March you'll be cursing him. Yes he's good on zone entries on PPs (note more time and space and thus he can use his speed) but on 5v5 he'll lose puck possession along the boards the majority of times as he can be easily knocked off the puck. He won't win many puck battles along the boards and behind the net. His passing will drive you nuts as he often makes ill advised passes, i.e. drop or blind passes or "tries" to thread the needle through defense. Playing on a line with Kuznetsov and Justin Williams made him look better than he is. His game is as a passenger, that is he benefits from the hard work of others, but he does not drive the play or makes his linemates better.
Note that not all Caps fans share this opinion. Mojo cut down on his number of drop passes dramatically the last few seasons and is decent on the boards. He has also been the Caps best net front presence the last couple years. His two goals in Game 6 vs. Toronto were not complete anomalies. I wouldn't say that he drives play, but I wouldn't call him a complete passenger either.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Pretty neat move for the Devils. They've added another bonafide top-six forward via trade, without really breaking the bank.

I suppose Washington does need to clear cap space, but they've stripped away a lot of components from last year's team. They're really going to need guys like Vrana, Barber, Djoos, etc to walk in and provide the same level of performance. Might be asking for too much.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
C-gratts Belsebubbs!

Team Sweden A

Filip Forsberg - Nicklas Backstrom - William Nylander
Alexander Steen - Alexander Wennberg - Rickard Rakell
Gabriel Landeskog - Mikael Backlund - Jakob Silfverberg
Marcus Johansson - Mika Zibanejad - Henrik Zetterberg

Mattias Ekholm - Erik Karlsson
Victor Hedman - Anton Stralman
Oliver Ekman Larsson - Adam Larsson

Henrik Lundqvist
Jacob Markstrom

Team Sweden B

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Viktor Arvidsson
Gustav Nyquist - Victor Rask - Elias Lindholm
Andre Burakovsky - Patrik Berglund - Loui Eriksson
Carl Hagelin - Marcus Kruger - Patric Hörnqvist

Hampus Lindholm - Niklas Hjalmarsson
Alexander Edler - John Klingberg
Oscar Klefbom - Jonas Brodin

Robin Lehner
Anders Nilsson

What? Does that have anything to do with this thread at all?

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Only because NYC is next door.....

Your point? Do Ranger fans have some sort of exclusive claim over NYC? It's weird cause when I go over the bridge and pay the toll.. they don't ask me if I'm a Devils fan.

End of the day, NJ still has some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country. NYC is still there whether you are a Ranger or a Devil so it's pretty irrelevant here as to why those neighborhoods exist. No **** it's because of NYC to a large extent.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I can't believe Tampa couldn't match that.

I think there was more strategy to this trade from WSH's perspective than a lot of people want to believe.

Sending him to the Rangers or Lightning, for instance, hurts them even more.. they are in direct competition with those teams in the short-term. The Devils aren't an issue short-term, dealing with them was far safer.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
After seeing the Johansson, Scandella, Wilson and Methot trades, would it be considered a buyers market right now?

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
Cool, I'm gonna use the same excuse as the other guy, plus that english is only my third language. Now Im gonna read through yours and see what excuse you'll come up with :)

Well aren't you a fancy polyglot. Take your humble brags elsewhere.

I speak more than one language as well and I can tell you that auto correct has a lot of trouble with foreign names.

No need to act to snotty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->