Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Nic Dowd signs extension with Capitals (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
As a Caps fan, I say why? One thing this season has shown me is we have organizational depth. Especially at center.

Reactions: Gurglesons

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
More like Nic Up'd.

Goodbye.

brian-baumgartner-badumtss.gif

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
As a Caps fan, I say why? One thing this season has shown me is we have organizational depth. Especially at center.
Dowd is a perfect 4th line center. There is no need to develop young kids like McMichael, Lapierre and Protas by playing them on the 4th line, especially first two. And I have a feeling Eller will be traded anyways within 2 years IMO. Perfect signing for this price!

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Dowd is a perfect 4th line center. There is no need to develop young kids like McMichael, Lapierre and Protas by playing them on the 4th line, especially first two. And I have a feeling Eller will be traded anyways within 2 years IMO. Perfect signing for this price!

+ He's a very good PKer and face-off guy

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland

By the looks off it CMM and Eller are going to battle for 3C this season, and if Eller loses it Caps will cut off over 2 mills cap space and get a mid round pick by doing so.

Dowd fits "the traditional defensive 4th line C duties" better than Eller or Protas, which would be the other two options for the next season. If that changes within a year or half, the contract Dowd has is easy to move out.

Theres no downside on this contract. Only Dowdside?

Reactions: CupInSIX

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s a solid deal even if it may be a year long. The cost to bury him in the A still enables them to spend close to $1.1 mill on a replacement to remain net zero against the cap if his play does go down. Low risk move.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Why is simple. Has become the team's successful defensive matchup center. This is not a job as a rule for rookies and inexperienced players. Dowd is easily the team's best face off guy. In fact he is often the only good face off guy. That is another skill that veteran player are generally better than young players at. Lastly MacLellan's SOP is to keep his team together as long as is reasonable rather than rotating players thru the locker room season after season.

McMichael's next contract wont be anything close to $1.3m. He will get much more. This sets some cost certainty for their salary cap structure

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Losing $3M Beagle was painful? As a Canuck fan I'd love to have swapped those two back at any time.

I didnt say that. I said that losing Beagle was painful and that he still has not been properly replaced. Truth is that were Beagle as good as he was for the Caps during the Trotz era, he was worth every bit of $3m a season.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Does his job well? Great team guy? Consistent? For that price tag why complain about someone who brings these things every game.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Dowd is pretty much the ideal 4th line center: Cheap, low-maintenance, can play defensive minutes, good on the PK.

Imagine trading him for a worse 4C at 3-4x the price...By god that's Jim Benning's music!

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I didnt say that. I said that losing Beagle was painful and that he still has not been properly replaced. Truth is that were Beagle as good as he was for the Caps during the Trotz era, he was worth every bit of $3m a season.
Both things can be true: He was great when you had him (not anymore) and the caps absolutely won that swap by getting a better player every single year since they picked up Dowd, AND saved two million per year. Huge win by the caps. Cap smart (pardon the pun).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad