Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Nic Dowd signs extension (3 years, $750k AAV)

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Good depth signing.

Also will be exposed to Seattle if he's still on the team in 2 years.

Plus his salary's at a level where they can bury it in the AHL with no cap hit.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Strange time to be negotiating a contract...

Not really, negotiating for a 28 year old 4th liner can't be very complicated. He was an UFA so Washington lock him up now in case he has a stellar playoffs and Dowd has only played 3 seasons in the NHL so to guarantee himself another 3 seasons of an NHL salary is an absolute no brainer.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Weird for a player to sign for 3 years at almost minimum wage , shows he has zero confidence in his abilities

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
he wasnt great with la, glad he is working out in washington

The CAPS have done well the last couple of years with, "reclamation projects". Connolly and Kempny come to mind immediately. Amazing how the right situation can benefit a player right?

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Weird for a player to sign for 3 years at almost minimum wage , shows he has zero confidence in his abilities

I disagree. I think it shows he has great financial sense. He's a 4th liner that turns 29 next month, now he's got guaranteed income of 750k a year for 3 years. That's far better than signing a 1 year deal and then potentially losing your job to a kid 8-10 years younger than you the following season all because you wanted to gamble on maybe earning half a mil more in that span.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Amazing that Leonsis recently said he interviewed McLellan out of politeness and really didn’t see him as a candidate until he blew him away in the interview and now he’s a Cup winner.
He wasn't exactly some yokel off the streets... and he's been a Cup winner for 30 years (21 GP in the playoffs for the Flames in 1989). This was his second. The first as a player, second as a GM.

Reactions: BHD

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Or it shows he knows he has a good thing in Washington and doesn't mind leaving a little bit of cash on the table in exchange for some stability and a defined role with a team he's playing well with. Lars Eller said the same thing when he signed his extension that he loves the organization, loves the coaching staff and locker room, appreciates that every year he knows they're going to compete for a Cup, and feels comfortable with his role and place on the team.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Amazing that Leonsis recently said he interviewed McLellan out of politeness and really didn’t see him as a candidate until he blew him away in the interview and now he’s a Cup winner.
Also after Caps hired him Shawn Simpson ripped into him saying he was a terrible hockey person and the laziest person in hockey lol. I'd say Bmac panned out pretty well.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Or it shows he knows he has a good thing in Washington and doesn't mind leaving a little bit of cash on the table in exchange for some stability and a defined role with a team he's playing well with. Lars Eller said the same thing when he signed his extension that he loves the organization, loves the coaching staff and locker room, appreciates that every year he knows they're going to compete for a Cup, and feels comfortable with his role and place on the team.
It's nice being a destination team finally. A team where pending UFAs will take less to stay part of it. IDK what the hell McPhee was doing all those years but I think Poti was by far his best UFA signing post lockout. A team with Ovechkin and Backstrom not attracting any impact FA is pathetic.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It's nice being a destination team finally. A team where pending UFAs will take less to stay part of it. IDK what the hell McPhee was doing all those years but I think Poti was by far his best UFA signing post lockout. A team with Ovechkin and Backstrom not attracting any impact FA is pathetic.

McPhee has a reputation of being an asshole with agents, from what I understand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad