Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Caps sign Jakub Vrana (2 years, $3.35M AAV)

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
not sure the years are good here....

he is worth around 3-4M, so good number, but in 2 years he will be a 60p+ player with a high Iq and a great speed.
He will cost Wash 7M+, not good.

The Capitals could only really afford a bridge. And I don't think Vrana wanted to do anything but a bridge anyway.

Whatever Vrana's contract is in 2 years, the Capitals will pay. A lot of money can be shed easily. The Capitals have tooooons of small, moveable contracts (Panik, Hagelin, Hathaway, Jensen, Kempny) that can be sold off to make whatever needs to be done, done.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoCaps2004

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Meier did a while back too!

seems like a solid deal for Vrana though.

im still dumbfounded by Labanc's odd signing lol

I believe that Labanc has a verbal agreement with management.
He signed cheaply for one year, for $1,000,000, so that Thornton can come back next year and fit under the cap.
Then in January, when Labanc is eligible, he will sign an extension starting in 2020-2021 and it will be for an overpayment to take into account what he has given up for this year.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
On the offer sheets, the player has to want to leave. Vrana's 12 years old and already has a Cup. He has a pretty good thing going, a top-six slot carved out for him, and is solidly insulated with vets and plenty of size and snarl in the top six. He could do a lot worse. All he's ever known of the NHL is the Caps have been bonkers successful and sold out every game. They're preparing to make the room necessary to pay him past his bridge too.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
On the offer sheets, the player has to want to leave. Vrana's 12 years old and already has a Cup. He has a pretty good thing going, a top-six slot carved out for him, and is solidly insulated with vets and plenty of size and snarl in the top six. He could do a lot worse. All he's ever known of the NHL is the Caps have been bonkers successful and sold out every game. They're preparing to make the room necessary to pay him past his bridge too.
Hes been pretty good for being 12.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Fair price IMO, especially for a bridge. Perfect show me contract but we will pay you.
This is where I’m at as well. Think the Caps were right to bet on Vrana over Burakovsky. Vrana’s speed and skill set compliments the Caps overall game very well. Still hope Burakovsky finds his game in Colorado because it was; lost, tardy, absent, or inconsistent in DC.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
There would have been nothing easy about it. They would have likely needed to dump or bury 1-2 of the FAs they just signed in favor of minimum contracts.

They'd just send Gudas on his way and mess around with LTIR/22 man roster

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
[Mod] Vrana vs Burakovsky.

A key difference is Vrana can actually hit the net. I’ve never seen someone shoot both high and wide so often as Bura, when he’s actually visible and shooting. I’d love if we could sign him back as a depth player in the future, but we’re not losing much with him. Vrana has the higher ceiling at this point.

Vrana already hit basically 50 points, and twice as many goals in a season. Vrana has top six potential, probably at worst a good scoring 3rd liner.

Bura could find his middle six scoring touch, but his bottom is a possession plug who might score a goal here and there. It was smart of the team not to put money on him, because it would be harder to trade him than Vrana at similar money if he keeps stalling. Vrana has looked better in less seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have long liked Vrana. Very fair deal for both parties. I have a strong suspicion he will be in for a big payday after this deal.

Reactions: BHD

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
I don't know if the "Vrana is a softer Burakovsky" guy is just a terrible troll or he's delusional but.... Burakovsky is the epitome of soft. No matter what zone Buras in, expect him to be Charmin ultra soft and make unbelievably stupid plays. Mix that with not being able to hit the net...EVER, and its easy to see why the Caps front office chose Vrana...

Great deal bridge by the Caps, he will easily be a 55-60 Point getter by the end of this term.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Are we actually listening to a guy comparing Vrana who almost scored 50 points last season to Bura who might never break 30 again?

Progression of their stats tell the whole story, Vrana has improved every year, Bura has regressed. Trade value Vrana could easily fetch you a first, Bura was a shock when he got ya a third.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
He has killed the market for the other RFAs. That's only Burakovsky money. Does Vrana have the same agent as LaBlanc.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Could have gone as high as $4,227,437 and only cost a second round pick.

Washington would have easily matched that in my opinion. If the compensation was a 1st round pick I am sure they would've just let Vrana go (since he wouldn't be able to be within the Caps' cap)

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
He was very good in the regular season but sadly had a very poor post season. I think this is fair, when he's on his game he's one of my favorites on the team. Great skill and speed.

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad