Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals sign Zdeno Chara (1 year, $795k + $730k in Performance Bonuses)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Dumoulin may not put up the same point totals as Orlov, but his impact overall on the ice is the team outscoring the other team. It's not like he is Brooks Orpik out there.

Brooks has two stanley cups (like Dumoulin) and olympic silver, was first round draftee that played in over 1000 NHL games and was highly recognized and appreciated by his teammates and peers.

Dumoulin has a lot of miles ahead before he gets the right to be compared to Orpik.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Dumoulin may not put up the same point totals as Orlov, but his impact overall on the ice is the team outscoring the other team. It's not like he is Brooks Orpik out there.

Ya I wonder if playing with Letang over Jensen/Gudas/Dillon helps. Who knows though?

Show his advanced stats when he is paired with Carlson to provide a fair comparison.

Last edited:

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I really thought he would retire in Boston. He had nothing left to prove :/
I mean... I’m sure he wanted to retire in Boston, too? There are articles saying he wanted to stay in Boston despite hearing from 20+ teams. Maybe the disappointment should be sent towards the Bruins front office, lol.

I know that when I’m reaching retirement age in my career field, I’ll be incredibly pissed off if someone tells me to retire before I’m fully ready to just because I have “nothing left to prove”.

Hopefully Chara does know when to hang up his skates. If it couldn’t be Boston, I’m glad it’s going to be a team that has won a cup recently and has high expectations. I read some comments early in the off-season about a team like Detroit being a good fit for him in a leadership role and honestly I’m glad he didn’t opt for that because choosing Washington shows me he still wants to compete and work towards a championship, not just spend a year or two collecting paychecks and taking L’s while the next big thing develops to replace him.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Dumoulin won a cup as the # 1 D without Letang.

So? That was 3 years ago and the stats you used to support your argument that he is better than Orlov are based substantially all on playing with Letang.

I know a Caps fan showed the advanced stats before of Orlov-Carlson and they drive the play by a significant margin. Will see what happens this season as it looks like Orlov is paired with Carlson. If that happens and they stay together >80% of the time I’ll bet you his advanced stats are better. Loser deletes their account?

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I mean... I’m sure he wanted to retire in Boston, too? There are articles saying he wanted to stay in Boston despite hearing from 20+ teams. Maybe the disappointment should be sent towards the Bruins front office, lol.

I know that when I’m reaching retirement age in my career field, I’ll be incredibly pissed off if someone tells me to retire before I’m fully ready to just because I have “nothing left to prove”.

Hopefully Chara does know when to hang up his skates. If it couldn’t be Boston, I’m glad it’s going to be a team that has won a cup recently and has high expectations. I read some comments early in the off-season about a team like Detroit being a good fit for him in a leadership role and honestly I’m glad he didn’t opt for that because choosing Washington shows me he still wants to compete and work towards a championship, not just spend a year or two collecting paychecks and taking L’s while the next big thing develops to replace him.

There's a lot of ways to look at it, I just simply hoped he was going to retire in Boston. I don't think he's got the legs anymore to compete in today's NHL regardless of whether he wants to though. He's not aging like Lidstrom, his best years are very far behind him. People say this a lot, but it's very true.. teams and players shouldn't be loyal to each other because it's still a business. I understand when players choose to part ways with their club and vice versa, it just isn't necessarily what you hope to see. Nobody would have wanted Lidstrom to retire an Arizona Coyote, or Selanne a New Jersey Devil. I mean, how weird was it for Martin Brodeur to leave New Jersey and play 7 games for St Louis at the end of his career? Is Joe Thornton going to retire a Toronto Maple Leaf after playing 15 seasons with San Jose?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So? That was 3 years ago and the stats you used to support your argument that he is better than Orlov are based substantially all on playing with Letang.

I know a Caps fan showed the advanced stats before of Orlov-Carlson and they drive the play by a significant margin. Will see what happens this season as it looks like Orlov is paired with Carlson. If that happens and they stay together >80% of the time I’ll bet you his advanced stats are better. Loser deletes their account?

Judging by your posting style you'd find some way to skew "advanced stats are better" and not honor the deal.

No thanks.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Judging by your posting style you'd find some way to skew "advanced stats are better" and not honor the deal.

No thanks.

Knew you wouldn’t :)

580b57fbd9996e24bc43bba8.png

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Seriously, someone is still relying on team awards to try to justify a player v player argument? In 2021?

It's a team sport, and even the best of the best need a lot of help to win. Ovie never had as much help as Crosby.

And crediting Crosby for those team Canada medals is hilarious. Replace Crosby with John Scott and they still win.
Canada may not win in 2010 without sid and the golden goal... Scott didn't score thay nor would he... Washington constantly had great teams and finished higher than Pittsburgh in the standings and even won the presidential trophy.. to say ovie didn't have the help is utterly ridiculous....those caps teams were stacked . Backstrom, Holtby, etc etc etc.....you obviously don't understand how a truly great player elevates his teammates...
Pens simply don't win any other their last 3 cups without sid.. if both players retired today Crosby finishes light years ahead , a top 5 all time... ovie maybe top 15 or 20...its gonna take cup to even begin to close the gap. Wayne, orr and Mario have all said sid finishes top 5 all time...

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
My take on Chara is that he's still good enough to play even 5v5. He's shockingly slow, and when he gets beat it's jarring and makes people think he should just retire. But he's very intelligent and adjusts his play after his speed, using his reach to be a competent defenseman when all things are considered. I think he's got enough left to be a #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad