Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals sign Sergei Shumakov to ELC [1 year, $925K]

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
TOR?

Why?

He grew up rooting for them too? Nice blankie and all?
This would have been more effective if Tavares DIDNT sign in Toronto and Leafs fans were posting this picture as a reason for why he was going to sign in Toronto.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
This is a curious sentiment.
Did Chicago LUCK into Panarin?
Edmonton LUCK into Justin Schultz?
Pittsburgh LUCK into Zack Aston-Reese?
Rangers LUCK into Vesey, Shattenkirk?
Leafs LUCK into Tavares, Gardiner?
Players that are Free Agents by the rules of the League can choose to sign and play wherever they so desire. It’s not Luck, it’s not necessarily Unfair, It Is What It Is. The Capitals have rarely been the benefactors in these exchanges but have recently fomented a culture of winning and have embraced and cultivated a strong contingent of European players. At the end of the day it’s not Luck, nor is it Surprising. In fact, it’s practically Logical.
For a hockey team to land a skilled player without having to wsit in line or trade with another team, it is lucky. It doesnt mean it isnt a smart move by the caps. There is rational support as to why a player would want to be one place over another, and there are things a team can do to facilitate decisions like this, but at the end of the day it is luck for the team that a player chooses when they can choose at their own will.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
For a hockey team to land a skilled player without having to wsit in line or trade with another team, it is lucky. It doesnt mean it isnt a smart move by the caps. There is rational support as to why a player would want to be one place over another, and there are things a team can do to facilitate decisions like this, but at the end of the day it is luck for the team that a player chooses when they can choose at their own will.
Luck includes taking a chance, being good and popular is just reality. Also, these skilled KHL players don't fall from the sky, it's not a hard task to follow around several dozens of players who can both potentially join your team and improve it, approaching them early, making a good impression and putting your team ahead in the line.

Reactions: Futures Passed

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Perceived? Reigning champs with pretty much entire roster back plus some kids kicking in the door?

LOL. Don’t need “perceived” in there right now, do we?

Yes, we do. They will certainly be very high on my *projection list*. That's all there is factually to say during an off season. Teams good or bad based on their actual results, not your fertile imagination. I don't evaluate hockey teams during summer because there is nothing to evaluate.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

Sure, you can define luck however you wish that doesn’t change the fact that this is seemingly “manufactured” luck for the Capitals.

I’ll contribute this addendum. It’s curious how Luck in these situations is rarely accidental. Luck? Luck is the Oilers drafting 1st overall in perpetuity. That’s actual Luck. I’d proffer that in this situation the Capitals made themselves an attractive destination for KHL FAs and in that regard it’s anything but Luck.

Not surprisingly, the voices that are usually the loudest about how someone is benefiting from Luck are those that are NOT and thus consider themselves slighted. Those who are lucky tend to be prepared, those who are unlucky tend to stay unlucky because they feel victimized and wallow in frustration and self-pity and don’t take strides to improve themselves.

At this time last season everyone predicted the Capitals falling off and some had them missing the POs, yet here we are. The difference? It sure as hell looked like they started believing in themselves and NOW? There are signs that a franchise historically “plagued” by “bad luck” sure looks to be trending up.

Reactions: Futures Passed

cleanfront

Aug 5, 2013
*** Login to see to see if there’s anything worthwhile on rare late-summer pickup ***

Sees the Stanley Cup winners called ‘perceived one of the better teams’ and ‘lucked in’ to a free agent choosing to play for them.

*** Quickly shuts off computer with confirmation to stay away until October. ***

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't have a problem with calling this lucky. It's semantics, really.
When Chicago got Panarin I certainly thought that they were lucky bastards, even though it was perfectly reasonable.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yes, we do. They will certainly be very high on my *projection list*. That's all there is factually to say during an off season. Teams good or bad based on their actual results, not your fertile imagination. I don't evaluate hockey teams during summer because there is nothing to evaluate.

They are a good team. Don’t need perception. It’s the same team that won a Cup. Sure, they may not play up to their current standards, but to say they aren’t a good team, that’s just asinine.

Buy the measure that you are using...I guess there are no good teams during the off-season? Is that what you are trying to say?

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Seems like they just got more dangerous. Awesome.

I'm not being sarcastic. You're being sarcastic.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Does he crack the caps lineup and if so where does he fit?

A lot of it depends on how quickly he assimilates to the NA game. Once that’s done, asssuming he’s what he looks to be.....I could see him as a top 9w. Could be anywhere now, as the team is rolling scoring lines. Could slot Stephenson to 4c (instead of possibly 3RW)

He may be a great winger for Backstrom, with his ability to finish and grease the net. It will also depend on which wing he favors. LW would open up for slots for him (behind only AO). RW has Wilson and Oshie.

If he’s RW, then playing with Eller and Burakovsky/Vrana would make some sense.

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson
Vrana - Backstrom - Oshie
Burakovsky - Eller - Shumakov
Connolly - Stephenson - DSP

Wow. But we will see.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
A lot of it depends on how quickly he assimilates to the NA game. Once that’s done, asssuming he’s what he looks to be.....I could see him as a top 9w. Could be anywhere now, as the team is rolling scoring lines. Could slot Stephenson to 4c (instead of possibly 3RW)

He may be a great winger for Backstrom, with his ability to finish and grease the net. It will also depend on which wing he favors. LW would open up for slots for him (behind only AO). RW has Wilson and Oshie.

If he’s RW, then playing with Eller and Burakovsky/Vrana would make some sense.

Burakovsky - Eller - Shumakov
Connolly - Stephenson - DSP

Wow. But we will see.
I agree on all points but would add, we have no idea how he will be defensively at the NHL level and that may also play a huge role in where he slots in the lineup. The Capitals are also fielding a re-vamped coaching staff so no one really knows how they’re going to manage deployment and what direction they have in mind for the team. If the 3rd-4th lines are mainly utility lines i.e. it’s hard to imagine him being much more effective than, say, a Soshnikov-type. That said, for all the talk of Jakub Vrana being poor defensively at the minor-pro level he transitioned (after some hurdles) and played passably in the effective structured team-defense style the Capitals play and was still able to stand out offensively. If Shumakov is as-advertised and can manage a similar integration I’m sure the Capitals will be thrilled and will find a place for him in the lineup. Depth is invaluable, skilled depth is priceless.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
I agree on all points but would add, we have no idea how he will be defensively at the NHL level and that may also play a huge role in where he slots in the lineup. The Capitals are also fielding a re-vamped coaching staff so no one really knows how they’re going to manage deployment and what direction they have in mind for the team. If the 3rd-4th lines are mainly utility lines i.e. it’s hard to imagine him being much more effective than, say, a Soshnikov-type. That said, for all the talk of Jakub Vrana being poor defensively at the minor-pro level he transitioned (after some hurdles) and played passably in the effective structured team-defense style the Capitals play and was still able to stand out offensively. If Shumakov is as-advertised and can manage a similar integration I’m sure the Capitals will be thrilled and will find a place for him in the lineup. Depth is invaluable, skilled depth is priceless.

If Trotz was HC, I’d buy this as possible.

Reirden? I think he’s going to cater towards a relentless attack, IMO. He seems new school, so I’d wager at least 3 scoring lines. Perhaps 4.

Stephenson is not your prototypical 4th line C. The wings that will play will not be grinders (unless you see DSP as that sort), so I’d imagine a more Vegas style attack from the Caps. Akin to what we saw most of the playoffs. A lot more attacking style than most Caps fans are used to.

I could certainly be wrong.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Playing in his strongest position, Shumakov is a RH LW, who plays from the circles in and relies on a very good shot. I imagine they'd want him to crack the lineup at 4LW and gradually work his way up to 3LW or even 2LW.

Opening night:
Burakovsky - Eller - Connolly
Shumakov - Stephenson - DSP

3LW
Shumakov - Eller - Connolly
Burakovsky - Stephenson - DSP

2LW
Shumakov - Backstrom - Oshie
Vrana - Eller - Connolly

The reality is likely to be that his best shot at ice time is going to come with the injuries that naturally occur to most teams. They will miss guys throughout the year and won't have the luxury of putting snipers or slick skating puck movers on the fourth line before long.

It does much for team depth, though. With not a lot of forward talent coming through the farm system for a couple of years, signing both of Gersich and Shumakov as free agents will hopefully fill that gap.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
If Trotz was HC, I’d buy this as possible.

Reirden? I think he’s going to cater towards a relentless attack, IMO. He seems new school, so I’d wager at least 3 scoring lines. Perhaps 4.

Stephenson is not your prototypical 4th line C. The wings that will play will not be grinders (unless you see DSP as that sort), so I’d imagine a more Vegas style attack from the Caps. Akin to what we saw most of the playoffs. A lot more attacking style than most Caps fans are used to.

I could certainly be wrong.
From what I’ve seen, I concur. Not necessarily because that’s going to be Reirden’s style but because I think the entire staff has/will continue to que into the notion that what you’re suggesting is the best use of the available talent and plays directly to the Caps core strengths.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Playing in his strongest position, Shumakov is a RH LW, who plays from the circles in and relies on a very good shot. I imagine they'd want him to crack the lineup at 4LW and gradually work his way up to 3LW or even 2LW.

Opening night:
Burakovsky - Eller - Connolly
Shumakov - Stephenson - DSP

3LW
Shumakov - Eller - Connolly

2LW
Shumakov - Backstrom - Oshie
Vrana - Eller - Connolly

The reality is likely to be that his best shot at ice time is going to come with the injuries that naturally occur to most teams. They will miss guys throughout the year and won't have the luxury of putting snipers or slick skating puck movers on the fourth line before long.

It does much for team depth, though. With not a lot of forward talent coming through the farm system for a couple of years, signing both of Gersich and Shumakov as free agents will hopefully fill that gap.

Many of those forwards can flip sides (Vrana and Bura in particular), so it wouldn’t shock me to see Connolly bumped (or traded) at some point in time, IF Shumakov pans out as hoped.

As it is, BC10 should certainly be adding some dynamics to his game, especially on the PK, if he wants to stay in DC and get ice time. Burakovsky may need too as well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Luck is for losers.

That is silly. See Lars Eller's 2OT goal v CBJ. He skated hard. He went to the net. The puck hit him, then the defenseman and then his skate and in. Never touched it with his stick. That was lucky and it was the winning goal. Sort of the opposite of luck is for losers. If he didn't put in the effort and keep to fundamentals, the lucky goal doesn't happen.

Reactions: smitty10

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Connolly has to drop to the 4th to make room. Connolly has a decent shot but he's pretty bad outside that. He's good in a situation where the 4th liners are battling around the boards and the puck might come loose to him for a clear shot. This Shumakov looks to have more about him, so I'd start him alongside Eller. If Vrana doesn't produce like a scoring 2nd line wing should, I'd even look to bump him up there.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Everyone acting like the dude is the real deal and a shoe-in for stardom. He ain’t done nothing yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->