Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals sign Sergei Shumakov to ELC [1 year, $925K]

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Only guy I've seen reporting the Rangers are in on him, but I wouldn't be opposed. He reported a couple of weeks ago that the Rangers would offer a contract if he left CSKA.

tnsn78

China Bolt
Nov 7, 2017
Haven't seen many games of him. But this goal against KRS really impressed me.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
PTO with Colorado may be he can be the answer for a better 2nd line.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seems like a pretty bold move to make, no?

He's not exactly a high profile guy and to burn a bridge at this time of year seems odd. Why not do this months ago, not now when the KHL season is starting.

Reactions: Silky mitts

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I have serious doubts that Edmonton is an option, but I like what I've read on the guy and think he'd be a good fit. Especially considering we have no idea what to expect on the left side after RNH.

If skill was the only factor in hockey, Sergei Shumakov would be a name known from Oregon to Osaka and back again. There are questions surrounding the young Russian winger, but none of them involve his talent. His hands are to die for, and watching him play hockey can, at times, be mesmerizing. He regularly makes the impossible seem possible both with his passing and his bag — well, it is actually more like a flight-case — full of tricks. Oh, and did I mention his shot? Wrist, snap and slap, all three he gets away quickly, powerfully and accurately. Playing the left side on the power-play, his positioning and wind-up are reminiscent of another Russian winger who has wowed the world with his skills over the last decade.
So what are the cons with the electric winger from Chelyabinsk? Well, his skating is solid but not overly impressive. It would be unfair to call him anything less than solid, as it does not hinder him, but his stride can be choppy and he will likely never be a speedster. He is also not a strong defensive player. Still, he’s an exciting player who has started the KHL season with a bang, posting 15 points in 12 games. Add this onto his impressive end to last season and his resume is becoming increasingly hard to ignore. With a contract that expires at the end of this season expect a host of NHL teams to show interest in the highly-skilled Russian. It would really not be too absurd to see his skating on an NHL second line in the not-so-distant future.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I have serious doubts that Edmonton is an option, but I like what I've read on the guy and think he'd be a good fit. Especially considering we have no idea what to expect on the left side after RNH.

If skill was the only factor in hockey, Sergei Shumakov would be a name known from Oregon to Osaka and back again. There are questions surrounding the young Russian winger, but none of them involve his talent. His hands are to die for, and watching him play hockey can, at times, be mesmerizing. He regularly makes the impossible seem possible both with his passing and his bag — well, it is actually more like a flight-case — full of tricks. Oh, and did I mention his shot? Wrist, snap and slap, all three he gets away quickly, powerfully and accurately. Playing the left side on the power-play, his positioning and wind-up are reminiscent of another Russian winger who has wowed the world with his skills over the last decade.
So what are the cons with the electric winger from Chelyabinsk? Well, his skating is solid but not overly impressive. It would be unfair to call him anything less than solid, as it does not hinder him, but his stride can be choppy and he will likely never be a speedster. He is also not a strong defensive player. Still, he’s an exciting player who has started the KHL season with a bang, posting 15 points in 12 games. Add this onto his impressive end to last season and his resume is becoming increasingly hard to ignore. With a contract that expires at the end of this season expect a host of NHL teams to show interest in the highly-skilled Russian. It would really not be too absurd to see his skating on an NHL second line in the not-so-distant future.
*Takes one look at our wings*

Yep, I'll take him. Plus, we could use a right shot forward that plays on the left wall on the pp because Todd isnt moving Pulju out of the 2nd unit net front role for years.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
*Takes one look at our wings*

Yep, I'll take him. Plus, we could use a right shot forward that plays on the left wall on the pp because Todd isnt moving Pulju out of the 2nd unit net front role for years.
We've been talking about getting a shot back to that spot where Letustu was. Bring in multiple options and see who "figures out" the job first.

Reactions: 780il

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I wonder if he comes to Hawks. His buddy Shalunov is Hawks prospect and they have played together like last 4 years.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Seems like a pretty bold move to make, no?

He's not exactly a high profile guy and to burn a bridge at this time of year seems odd. Why not do this months ago, not now when the KHL season is starting.
He’s been trying to get out of it for a few weeks now, CSKA tried to trade him but I guess couldn’t get it done so they released him. It was reported that the Rangers were talking to him or his agent about a contract while he was holding out a few weeks ago, so I’d assume they’d be the front runner to get him

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He’s been trying to get out of it for a few weeks now, CSKA tried to trade him but I guess couldn’t get it done so they released him. It was reported that the Rangers were talking to him or his agent about a contract while he was holding out a few weeks ago, so I’d assume they’d be the front runner to get him

Some Russian hockey writers say, it's Washington, but they can be wrong, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad