Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals sign Pheonix Copley to extension (3 years, $1.1M AAV)

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Seems liek a good deal.
Where does this leave Samsonov and Vanecek?
It leaves Samsonov in good position to develop in the AHL with no pressure to reach an NHL roster until ready. Vanecek is a little bit more unclear. He's having a fantastic year in the AHL (.277 GA, .907 S%, AHL All Star) and he's paid his dues by serving time in both the ECHL and AHL. He has never received an NHL call up so it's difficult to predict his ceiling (my gut says higher than Copley). It becomes more difficult for him to get that shot though now as I'm assuming Copley's deal is 1 way.

The clear reasoning behind this is it's a contract to expose for Seattle, I wonder if the plan is to essentially hold the contract until the expansion draft, and then from there either hope it's taken or trade it and slot Vanecek/Sasmonov into his slot.

Reactions: YP44

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't know this kid's parents, but I'd hazard a guess that they just spelled "Phoenix" wrong on the birth certificate.

Like naming your kid "Micheal" instead of "Michael".

Or "Daved" instead of "David"

No, they did it on purpose because they didn't like the traditional spelling
GOALTENDER PHEONIX COPLEY: MAN OF STEELY DETERMINATION - Chicago Wolves

When she was pregnant with Pheonix, one of her friend’s children visited their home and cracked open a book on Greek mythology. Mary and Peter loved the name Phoenix and the description of the mythical bird that radiated rays of pure sunlight. Peter, though, didn’t love its spelling.
“When I was young, I was taught, ‘When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking,’ ” Peter said. “Pheonix made more sense to me.”

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
This is a good comparable for Jordan Binnington. I'm happy for Pheonix. Hopefully he can carve out a real NHL career out of this, but if not...a 3.3M payday isn't a bad way to 'fail'.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The clear reasoning behind this is it's a contract to expose for Seattle, I wonder if the plan is to essentially hold the contract until the expansion draft, and then from there either hope it's taken or trade it and slot Vanecek/Sasmonov into his slot.
Seattle would be able to take Vanecek or Samsonov in the expansion draft if they were unprotected

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Seattle would be able to take Vanecek or Samsonov in the expansion draft if they were unprotected
Won't Samsonov likely still be on his ELC and thusly ineligible?

Vanecek's current contract runs out after this season, my (admittedly rudimentary) assumption would then be that Washington follows his current deal up with a 2 year RFA deal that expires at the time of the draft. Washington retains his rights, but no contract is on the books. If you have a contract like Copley's you can package a deal where you trade him to Seattle and incentivize them to take a larger contract like Oshie's.

No part of me believes the Capitals are sitting back like last draft and hoping they don't lose a guy they want. They're going to make moves.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Won't Samsonov likely still be on his ELC and thusly ineligible?

Vanecek's current contract runs out after this season, my (admittedly rudimentary) assumption would then be that Washington follows his current deal up with a 2 year RFA deal that expires at the time of the draft. Washington retains his rights, but no contract is on the books. If you have a contract like Copley's you can package a deal where you trade him to Seattle and incentivize them to take a larger contract like Oshie's.

No part of me believes the Capitals are sitting back like last draft and hoping they don't lose a guy they want. They're going to make moves.
Samsonov's ELC will have just run out. If they decide to let Holtby's contract run out and go with/protect Samsonov they still have to have an NHL goalie available for Seattle so Copley's deal would still help in that regard.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Samsonov's ELC will have just run out. If they decide to let Holtby's contract run out and go with/protect Samsonov they still have to have an NHL goalie available for Seattle so Copley's deal would still help in that regard.
Point being it gives them another asset to package to protect coveted players.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Who the heck taught this guy English?

I know, right? I mean, if you're going to change the spelling based on how you THINK it should be spelled, why even have the O in there at all?

Phenix, or even Fenix if he wanted to double down on the phonetics, would've been better than Pheonix. :laugh:

But I've talked enough about this kid's misspelled name for one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad