Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals re-sign Andre Burakovsky (2 years, $3M AAV)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
"Great deal" posters...you do realize this is a basic bridge deal, right? See: Stepan, Derek. Or Johansen, Ryan. Or Couture, Logan.

It's pretty common as it allows the team to save on the deal for 2-3 years, but they typically end up paying more over the next 5-6 years if the player progresses even more. See: Subban, P.K.

The Caps HAD to do this because of all of the other ridiculous contracts they have on the books right now. With 10 F, 5 D, and 1 G, they only have $5.6m in cap space to fill the rest of their roster. They basically have 1.5 D pairs right now because Chorney and Orpik are 2 of those 5 D already signed. Gonna be a lot of rookies playing for Washington this season.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
"Great deal" posters...you do realize this is a basic bridge deal, right? See: Stepan, Derek. Or Johansen, Ryan. Or Couture, Logan.

It's pretty common as it allows the team to save on the deal for 2-3 years, but they typically end up paying more over the next 5-6 years if the player progresses even more. See: Subban, P.K.

The Caps HAD to do this because of all of the other ridiculous contracts they have on the books right now. With 10 F, 5 D, and 1 G, they only have $5.6m in cap space to fill the rest of their roster. They basically have 1.5 D pairs right now because Chorney and Orpik are 2 of those 5 D already signed. Gonna be a lot of rookies playing for Washington this season.

I for one am thrilled.

Seriously I went from a Caps fan who wasn't going to watch a regular season game to a Caps fan who can't wait to see how the kids fit in.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I for one am thrilled.

Seriously I went from a Caps fan who wasn't going to watch a regular season game to a Caps fan who can't wait to see how the kids fit in.

I like this angle and I like where your head's at. Maybe overpaying the vets and putting the team right against the Cap is McLellan's way of forcing Trotz to utilize/audition the youth. What am I saying? There's no way anyone in the organization has that kind of foresight but I'm interested to see it no matter what. Vrana, Bowey, Boyd, Siegenthaler, hell even Johanson and Hobbs need a baptism by fire while the team can afford to lose a few Regular Season games. It might just be entertaining and not formulaic (like the Caps of the past several years, though the formula was good).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad