Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Brett Connolly (2 Years, $1.5M AAV)

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Seems a lot for a guy they healthy scratched for the playoffs. But I can't say I watched him closely, either.

CS95

Oct 11, 2016
Not a steal yet not a horrible deal. The guy can play in the league and at 1.5M for 2 years at worst the contract is off the books fairly quickly.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Caps need to ice a full roster, just like everyone else. Connolly helps fill out the top 9 at a reasonable cost. The only other alternative would be an AHL promotion (of which they'll already have multiple) or diving even further into the dumpster. Connolly is solid depth for $1.5M.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Meh, he had his moments last season. Played well for several stretches, and we need cheap(ish?) depth options.

I wouldn't exactly call 1.5m cheap for a guy who wasn't on pace for 30 points and has never hit 30 points in his career. And with a shooting percentage of 18.5%, he's a prime candidate to regress next season.

Good on him for getting some money out Washington, but I don't see this as a signing that will benefit Washington going forward. Not that I'm complaining as a Pens fan. :D

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
But yeah basically they're hoping they can get Kuznetzov, Burakovsky and Orlov for under 13 million. Then promote Vrana and Djoos for 1.5 million. Then they've got 3.1 million and a lineup that looks like this:

Ovi-Backs-Oshie
Mojo-Kuz-bura
Vrana-Eller-Connolly
Xxx-Beagle-Wilson

Orpik-Niskanen
Orlov-Carlson
Djoos-Chorney(or replacement)

They fill in the last two spots with cheap players, for under 3.1 together. The last D and the last winger

Or they somehow move Orpik or Mojo. Those are their options.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Also they could ride a ****** third pairing for most of the season with rookies, they have a lot of talent that could be promoted there, then get an upgrade at the deadline for a cup run and hopefully one of the rookies are good enough to stick. That way they have enough cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad