Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Brett Connolly (1 year, $850K)

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
Meh, very low risk by the Caps. They desperately need depth on their bottom six. It was the big reason why they lost to the Pens in the playoffs.

If he works out, a nice piece for their third line. If not, no big deal.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Certainly better than Galiev as a 12/13F and injury depth. We'll see if he can finally put it together.

I do hope the Capitals bring in one more depth piece, though.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Any Bruins fans that could give me more insight as to how he has played recently? What are the best/worst aspects of his game? Have not payed much attention to him since his draft+2 season.

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
Good signing, low risk some reward. At worst 3rd/4th line tweener who is somewhat physical and tries 2 play a 2 way game. Honest player.

Has not displayed ability to reach or even approach his once projected upside but an NHL winger with decent size and skating who still offers some hope for more.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
Any Bruins fans that could give me more insight as to how he has played recently? What are the best/worst aspects of his game? Have not payed much attention to him since his draft+2 season.

Has a lot of hustle and forechecks hard, but man he just can not score to save his life.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
He was playing his best hockey of the yr at the tdl, then lee stempniak came along and booted him off of bergys line. Hits, quick, good shot, didn't use it enough and maybe slightly slow. He didn't put up #'s but bergy and marchand had career yrs with him. Was able to play a bottom 6 game, id rather him over hayes at 2.3 mil.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
lots of trade time left....I'm hoping for the best..

last years team + Eller and Connolly = another 2nd round flop....

I'm filled with the "ho-hums"....

turn it around management!!!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
What are the odds that Connolly could be a serviceable PKer? I know Julien gave him essentially no PK time in Boston. I'm much more comfortable giving Connolly an every day slot if he kills penalties.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Tries very hard at all times but...he is just not that good... Played most of the year (I would say 80%?) with Marchand and Bergeron (37 goals and 32 goals), ended up with 9 goals / 16 assists... Ended the season on the 4th line...

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I hope he gets put to good use in Washington, he kinda seemed to be coming into his own in Boston. He should at least give Burakovsky a lot of competition for minutes.

Or maybe he'll just get 4th line/scratched into oblivion.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I hope he gets put to good use in Washington, he kinda seemed to be coming into his own in Boston. He should at least give Burakovsky a lot of competition for minutes.

Or maybe he'll just get 4th line/scratched into oblivion.

Not a chance he gives Burakovsky any serious competition. Burt had 17 even strength goals last year, and was on fire from about the mid-point of the season onwards.

He might compete with Tom Wilson for minutes, but highly doubtful he knocks Burakovsky down the ladder.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
I was surprised the bruins didn't bring Connolly back. He just was so snake bitten allllll year. He was getting into prime scoring positions, getting golden chances almost every game at one point and just could not score.

He also hit so many posts..I think some go his way, he would have easily had 15+ goals. He skates good, has decent boardwork, the shot is there and he knows how to get into scoring positions.

I think for him, it's all confidence. He needs to be scoring otherwise he is pretty useless and his confidence just seemed so low and at times you could tell it was really bugging him that he just couldn't finish on so many amazing chances. I still believe he can put it together and maybe blossom into a 20 goal guy. Good luck to him, I think this is a very solid deal for the Caps, he is worth another shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad