Celebrity Death: Writer Harlan Ellison age 84(aka Cordwainer Bird when mad)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Harlan Ellison - IMDb
Harlan Ellison - Wikipedia

While many of you may not recognise the name. He had a huge impact on how sci-fi was viewed on the TV. He worked with J. Michael Straczynski on how to bring babylon 5 from a concept to a reality of a tv show that tells a story over a 5 year period.

His first big impact on TV was writing the Star Trek episode "The City on the Edge of Forever" known for staring a young Joan Collins. (if you are a trek fan you know of the war between Roddenbery and Ellison that lasted until Roddenbury death)

He was prolific on TV and as a novalist and was also involved in a lawsuit with James Cameron over "The Terminator"--Cameron refuses to admit one of Ellison's books influenced him--but one of the producers involved with the production admitted that he knew of Ellison's books and that he had read it several times---this is why Cameron settled the lawsuit and that Cameron told a reporter he stole the idea from two Outer Limits shows that Harlan had written

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My primary familiarity with him is from I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream. That is one bizarre short story and computer game (a point-and-click adventure from the mid-90s).

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's kind of funny that he's almost as famous as a legendarily cantankerous crank as he is as a prodigiously talented writer.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
he is called cantankerous because he stood up for himself

He's also notorious for being short-tempered and quick to pop off on people for little justifiable reason (the last notable thing I can think of is his internet-famous dust-up with the guys from the Penny Arcade webcomic where both sides come off sounding like complete tools)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad