Wrist shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
Improve your wrist strength. As for technique, not really sure. It's the shot everyone learns to use first, so you should have the form down by now. I guess just try and get as much body weight behind it as possible, of course in the shortest time possible.

Sticks of Fury

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
Might be the flex of the stick. Try a flexier stick. The stiff and X-stiff ones are hard to do wristshots with especially if you want some pop in them.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
I always had a great slap shot but a average wrist shot but this year I really worked on it. I play ball hockey and this year I would go on my drive way and take about 100 shots everyday. I would suggest try to put as much strenght in your shot as possible and quickly release it. your arms are very important and try to put a lot of strenght in your shot by your arms and let it rip.

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
Practice, obviously, and work on your fundamentals. If you're doing the weight transfer and snap properly, maybe the problem is the distance of the puck from your body when you begin the lean/sweep. Maybe you'll be better with the puck farther (for more stick bend) or closer (for a more taut shaft).

Joey13

Here is my response to a similar question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateLikeTheWind
A good one I like is to use a cut up stick about 2 ft long, attach a rope about shoulder length long, and on the other end attach a weight. Then with your arms extended, rolling your wrists, bring the weight up. Usually a couple reps of this and your forearms will be burning.

I agree completely. I personally use a round piece of wood about two feet long. I would add that you can really do the repetitions four ways: with palms up and palms down and then twisting the piece of wood (and raising and lowering the weight) both towards and away from you.

If you left weights, do cleans and jerks and reverse grip curls - they help a lot. .

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
- for wrist shots try to use your weight to shoot the puck not your arms.. also try to put some spin to your shot..

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Joey13 said:
Here is my response to a similar question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateLikeTheWind
A good one I like is to use a cut up stick about 2 ft long, attach a rope about shoulder length long, and on the other end attach a weight. Then with your arms extended, rolling your wrists, bring the weight up. Usually a couple reps of this and your forearms will be burning.

I agree completely. I personally use a round piece of wood about two feet long. I would add that you can really do the repetitions four ways: with palms up and palms down and then twisting the piece of wood (and raising and lowering the weight) both towards and away from you.

If you left weights, do cleans and jerks and reverse grip curls - they help a lot. .

This is a great exercise... very much recommended to everyone.

saucerpasser

May 14, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
My opinion is that there are as many techniques to shoot wristshots as there are players. One of them shoots with technique and the other with force.

I use the most vital muscles a hockeyplayer does have (if speaking of shooting), those which are located between your hand and elbow. And my wristers are quite good, so I know what I'm saying. :)

So make your own conclusions... ;)

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Rob Paxon said:
This is a great exercise... very much recommended to everyone.

Gonna throw my hat in this camp too.

Provided your technique is proper, it's the single best way to improve your wrist shot.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Wrist curls and lots of 'em. I started working out my wrists in the gym a lot more, and shot power increased pretty noticably.

RKells

May 26, 2005
whats the flex of your stick? that can make a big difference in your wrist shots/slap shots. I don't take too many slapshots for the most part and stick to a 100 flex stick (which is pretty flexy for me).

Also roll your wrists over and make sure you are following thru to your target...this will give you accuracy and a bit more power.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
I use a stick with hardly any flex, nevertheless I manage a quite fast release and a nice speed. In addition to using the wrist, I use the hip as well. If the ball or puck is on the same height as your heel, not only use your arms, give a twist with the hip as well. It will increase the speed of your shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad