Wrist shot shooting Technique

mark1234

Nov 23, 2014
I'm trying to teach my son the proper shooting technique, he's done pretty well so far, shooting 100-200 shots most days. No more fluttering pucks, shoots about mid net height, fairly hard shot for an 8 year old now. He transfers his weight really well but struggles to balance in a finishing position so he cant point the stick at the upper corners of the net to shoot high. I'd like to get him to shoot high because the goalies are often really short at this age, any tips to help get him there?

Some things that seem to have helped:
1) radar gun
2) shooting off one foot or the other
3) holding the finish
4) shooting off rollerblades
5) point where you want the puck to go
6) stick weight
7) playing around the world (try to hit corners of the net)

I notice some kids have white tape on the heel of the stick, is this related to shooting puck position/technique or just decoration?

Any other things we could try to improve technique?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
If he struggles to balance in the finishing position, it appears to me that his skating and/or balance may actually need work itself. Just my outlook.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
When he finishes are his shoulders and hips facing the target like if he was just standing and facing the net?

Is his leading foot pointing at the target too?

Is he throwing all his weight in the direction of the shot or just some?

Can he flex the stick?

All these things can affect the shot.

5885105.jpg

Last edited:

mark1234

Nov 23, 2014
Thanks for the replies!

The picture helped, it seems to me he's over rotating, left handed shooter with shots often finishing to the right. I'll have a look at shoulders and hips next time he shoots.

I'll check his lead foot but on rollerblades I have asked him to roll straight towards the net, makes me think it's pointed correctly.

He certainly puts all his weight into the shot, maybe too much.

Never thought of it but I doubt he can flex the stick, he's using a cut down 52flex, weighs around 75-80lbs.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
All you can do is give him the tools to figure it out. So yes buy him a couple new sticks with different flexes. At his age the more flex the better id think, given he's not taking any serious slap shots.

Also take into account the wrist shot is a lot like golf. I understand you're just teaching a basic wrist shot but much like a chip shot in golf, there are many different kinds of said shot. It's about feel. You have to know what type of shot you're taking first to make the right shot.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Thanks for the replies!

The picture helped, it seems to me he's over rotating, left handed shooter with shots often finishing to the right. I'll have a look at shoulders and hips next time he shoots.

I'll check his lead foot but on rollerblades I have asked him to roll straight towards the net, makes me think it's pointed correctly.

He certainly puts all his weight into the shot, maybe too much.

Never thought of it but I doubt he can flex the stick, he's using a cut down 52flex, weighs around 75-80lbs.
Well thats the problem guy. No kid should be using a 75-80lb hockey stick.

Im sorry

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016

Flex is very important IMHO, but in this instance, I'm not sure if it matters that much. Regardless of flex, if the technique is sound, you should be able to put it where you like, especially with a wrist shot.

I think a cut down 52 is probably way too stiff. At that weight I'd say tops 40flex, but it'd probably better if he used a 30flex to refine his technique.

For reference, I'm a 5'5 180lb adult and I use a 50flex stick. Yeah, I'm a bit of an anomaly, but I'm mentioning this because that cut down 52 stick is probably around 55-60flex now. And it isn't uncommon for adults to use 60flex sticks. Heck Flames Johnny Gaudreau uses a 55 flex stick in the NHL.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Wouldn't worry about the radar gun - you'll notice improvements visually as his shot improves. The other points are all good - I'm 50/50 on rollerblades though - still not the same as shooting on skates.

Get him a flex that he can load properly - just not bend it. That's were technique comes in. That's the most important thing in every aspect of the game. Too many people see Kessel's stick bend (as one example) when he shoots and then automatically think they should be going out the buying the whippiest stick they can find. Well Kessel shoots they way he does because it works for him - everyone is different.

Maybe let him watch some videos of different players techniques. He will find his own if he wants to work at it.

Most importantly - let him have fun with it. Don't "make" him shoot 100-200 pucks a day, especially at that age. It has to be fun, otherwise it's just another chore/task, or will start to feel like work. Let it be so that "he" wants to work on this type of stuff. He is more than 1/2 way to the age were a lot of kids stop playing hockey (14). I coached many kids who were so skilled they could've been playing at a higher level than they were, but didn't want to (no matter how hard the one day pushed his kid). I think my last point is what some of the more interesting replies to the original question were hovering around.

The first post in this thread borders very closely on the drill sergeant parent wanting it more than their kid (especially at 8 years old).

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
One thing that my son loves is playing PUCK or HOCKEY which is HORSE but shooting on our net in the basement.

You call your shot and if you make it, then the other person has to make it or they get a letter. It's a fun way to work on the shot placement. And it's good father-son bonding, too.

Another thing is what curve does your son use?

My son is an 04 and I got him an Easton E28 curve for this season and he absolutely loves it. He's had two beauty top left corner snipes in the past 3 games.

Last year he had a Bauer with a Stamkos curve, IIRC. It isn't as good of a "shooter curve" as the E28.

mark1234

Nov 23, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions. I see now how the first post came off wrong, I'm certainly not the pushy parent. I was never taught proper technique and I'm just trying to help.

His team is doing a 5000 shot challenge, they talk about it in the change room first thing when they come in and compete on how many shots they have taken. He wants to one up his teammates so he shoots in the driveway all the time. I help him pick up pucks set them up and try to hit targets with him when I have time. Horse is a great idea, I can't believe I never thought of this, I remember playing horse in basketball, it was so much fun.

He has a bauer p52, not sure what a "shooter curve" is, just a bigger curve? Sounds like were in for a new stick for Christmas.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Thanks for the suggestions. I see now how the first post came off wrong, I'm certainly not the pushy parent. I was never taught proper technique and I'm just trying to help.

His team is doing a 5000 shot challenge, they talk about it in the change room first thing when they come in and compete on how many shots they have taken. He wants to one up his teammates so he shoots in the driveway all the time. I help him pick up pucks set them up and try to hit targets with him when I have time. Horse is a great idea, I can't believe I never thought of this, I remember playing horse in basketball, it was so much fun.

He has a bauer p52, not sure what a "shooter curve" is, just a bigger curve? Sounds like were in for a new stick for Christmas.

https://www.purehockey.com/equipment-guidance/hockey-stick-curves-and-patterns

Different curves are for different styles of players.

Ironically, the "Stamkos PM9" curve is more for passers than shooters. This is what my son had previously and he was frustrated with his inability to lift the puck consistently.

He loves the E28 curve, but it is all personal preference.

If he's happy with his stick, I wouldn't get him a new one. If he isn't, then I would see about getting one.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
There a video of Laine practicing hitting cans tied at the corners of the net
One thing I noticed with players with exceptional wrist shots are how strong their forearms
Trying to strengthen the forearms so it's not soft otherwise it's a muffin shot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad