Wrist Brace

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I've been having a lot of wrist pain after games lately, and I think the answer is to start playing with a wrist brace. However I don't want one that will restrict movement too much since it is my top hand so it's mobility is important.

Just wondering what the best option for a wrist brace is for hockey.. Or what others have used.

I've also tried taping my wrist, but it doesn't help.

Saved

Jun 9, 2014
I've been having a lot of wrist pain after games lately, and I think the answer is to start playing with a wrist brace. However I don't want one that will restrict movement too much since it is my top hand so it's mobility is important.

Just wondering what the best option for a wrist brace is for hockey.. Or what others have used.

I've also tried taping my wrist, but it doesn't help.

You say you have tried taping your wrist... How are you taping it? You are supposed to tape it in a fashion that is putting your wrist under tension so it won't bend certain ways. Just putting tape around your wrist won't do anything.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
To piggy back off of the other posters, our recommendations don't mean much if you don't know the extent of your injury. Even if it's something like tendonitis, you should be resting the affected area, icing, and taking an anti-inflammatory such as Motrin. At the very least, if you are going to play through it, you want a brace that will restrict your motion and allow the affected area to heal.

But it is paramount to seek a doctor's advice sooner than later. I played through my own wrist problems for 5-6 years nd only saw the problem get worse, to the point where it really had a negative impact on my game and eventually required surgery.

MD56

Feb 2, 2015
I'll get a flare of of tendinitis in my wrists from time to time. It sucks because i'll be perfectly fine for half the game, and then all of a sudden it feels like I got shot in the wrist. Very painful for something so innocuous.

Anyway, I've used both of these and i didn't have a problem with them restricting my hands. Of the two, I think the McDavid was a little more effective (for me).

https://www.shockdoctor.com/wrist-3-strap-support

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/wrist-sleeve-adjustable-elastic

FishSauce

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I'll get a flare of of tendinitis in my wrists from time to time. It sucks because i'll be perfectly fine for half the game, and then all of a sudden it feels like I got shot in the wrist. Very painful for something so innocuous.

Anyway, I've used both of these and i didn't have a problem with them restricting my hands. Of the two, I think the McDavid was a little more effective (for me).

https://www.shockdoctor.com/wrist-3-strap-support

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/wrist-sleeve-adjustable-elastic

I use the McDavid wrist support and I like the support it gives me on my top hand. It fits well in the glove.

But I agree that you should see a doctor to know the extent of your injury/soreness.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I avoid strapping and braces or supports for injuries these days, because unless you're playing at a very high level where you need to be playing hurt, if you don't need surgery I think you're better just to exercise and rehab yourself. The body generally fixes itself pretty well. Relying on a special support can lead to a dependency on using it or at least continually favoring the uninjured side.

If I hurt or strain something now, After the old rest, ice and compression thing, I just get right back onto the horse ASAP, albeit at a reduced level of stress or intensity for a while.

I had tendinitis in my elbow recently. Saw the doctor just in case it was a little more serious; it wasn't. Have had the same with groin strains and a knee injury in the last year or two. The knee took months, partly cause I aggravated it again along the way, but it's 100% now. Never braced or strapped it, but kept skating, just not on all cylinders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad