GDT: wpgcar

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Has a coach won the Jack Adams without their team making the playoffs? Peters should be on that list regardless.

My highlights of the night were Buff trying to check Jordan twice and just bouncing off of him. Dude is a monster.

I'd have to think that Trotz, Gallant, and Hynes would be above him at the very least. Maybe more.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I certainly think Trotz is a great coach, but lets not pretend that WAS isn't ****ing loaded with talent. Having the Vezina frontrunner helps as well. Gallant I'll give you, he's probably going to get it. I guess it's more a matter of what Peters has done with this rag tag group of nobodies that is so impressive. One thing I find interesting is how if we lose a defenseman, it's next man up and they keep chugging. When we lose a forward, it wreaks havoc. Curious to know how much of that defense is Peters vs. Smith.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Hynes I don't understand. Having Corey Schneider isn't exactly a testament to great coaching.

I don't have him as anything more than a distant third. I listed them in the order I see it, though Trotz and Gallant are a coin toss at this point IMO.

As for Hynes, I know that Schneider is a big factor in the team's success. But even with him, people were predicting the Devils to be a much poorer team than they are. The fact that they are in the playoff hunt and could possibly make it is impressive considering the overall "meh" impression of most of the roster outside of Schneider.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
^Couldn't you say the exact same thing about the Canes? We were projected to be 29th/30th in the league and probably have the same amount of "names" as NJD.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Yeah, you absolutely could. And if we do make it into the playoffs with the run we've been having, bilpeto should absolutely get serious consideration.

I might post in more detail when I'm not on mobile.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
It's not like you can point to one player that is carrying the Canes the way Schneider is with the Devils though. The Canes are winning by committee; it doesn't a brilliant tactician to tell the goalie to stop everything and then he does it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
While it has been a team effort, I think if you took Jordan Staal out of this line-up for any length of time, this team would struggle mightily.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
It's not like you can point to one player that is carrying the Canes the way Schneider is with the Devils though. The Canes are winning by committee; it doesn't a brilliant tactician to tell the goalie to stop everything and then he does it.

Right, I get that. Schneider is a phenomenal goaltender, there's no doubt about that. I'm not trying to discount that by any means. I just don't think it's entirely fair to discount the job a coach has done based on the fact that a goalie is playing lights out.

We've also had a vastly improved performance from Ward and Lack over the span that we've gone on our run. And while I'm obviously just using this as an extremist example...who's to say we wouldn't be garbage if Ward hadn't been playing extremely well over the recent stretch?

While it has been a team effort, I think if you took Jordan Staal out of this line-up for any length of time, this team would struggle mightily.

Agreed. While it's been very telling how well the team has reacted without Faulk in the lineup for the past few games, I think Jordan Staal is the key cog in all of this. He's playing so well right now, and is really the motor that drives this team.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Agreed. While it's been very telling how well the team has reacted without Faulk in the lineup for the past few games, I think Jordan Staal is the key cog in all of this. He's playing so well right now, and is really the motor that drives this team.

I think a team can compensate for a guy being out a couple games. Longer term though, I think the lack of Faulk would start showing more since these games are going to come down to a goal here, a flub there, etc.. Guys can cover adequately for him short term though.

With Jordan though, there really isn't anyone that can cover for him IMO, even short term. Eric, Lindholm, Rask, Nash nor McClement could take on that role of being a physical, shut down center that goes against the other teams top lines and yet still provides offense.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I think a team can compensate for a guy being out a couple games. Longer term though, I think the lack of Faulk would start showing more since these games are going to come down to a goal here, a flub there, etc.. Guys can cover adequately for him short term though.

With Jordan though, there really isn't anyone that can cover for him IMO, even short term. Eric, Lindholm, Rask, Nash nor McClement could take on that role of being a physical, shut down center that goes against the other teams top lines and yet still provides offense.

Correct. I'm just amazed at how seamlessly Slavin has filled in on that top pairing with Hainsey in the short term.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Right, I get that. Schneider is a phenomenal goaltender, there's no doubt about that. I'm not trying to discount that by any means. I just don't think it's entirely fair to discount the job a coach has done based on the fact that a goalie is playing lights out.

We've also had a vastly improved performance from Ward and Lack over the span that we've gone on our run. And while I'm obviously just using this as an extremist example...who's to say we wouldn't be garbage if Ward hadn't been playing extremely well over the recent stretch?

I don't think Ward has been playing extremely well, but I do think he has elevated his game to league average.

Jordan...what a beast.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

I didn't mean to diminish what Hynes has done, I just think what he's done isn't more impressive than what Peters has done. 3 more points with 1 more game played while getting Vezina level goaltending. Hynes has obviously done a great job. That team was supposed to be terrible even with Vezina level goaltending and they are in a playoff spot right now. I could argue if the Canes got that type of goaltending from day 1 they'd be the ones in that playoff spot right now and Peters would be coming in a distant 3rd in Adams voting to Trotz and Gallant. Now that I type that out it seems even more trivial than when I started.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
My highlights of the night were Buff trying to check Jordan twice and just bouncing off of him. Dude is a monster.

I think Buff is nursing a lower body injury, but that may or may not have anything to with that. Bottom line, J Staal is undoubtedly a beast and I rarely see him phased by hits.

Jun 13, 2010
NC
The Jack Adams doesn't go to the best coach though. It goes to the coach whose team randomly improves the most from the previous year.

Just like the selke/norris trophies. They won't go to the best defensive players, they'll go to a player who puts up a ******** of points while playing above average defense.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I don't think Ward has been playing extremely well, but I do think he has elevated his game to league average.

Jordan...what a beast.

Since January 1st, it looks like he has a .931 save percentage. Compared to how he was playing before, that's definitely something that qualifies as "extremely well"

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Since we have discussed this in depth, is Gerbe still alive?

No. The dark wizard Gerber turned Gerbe into a life sized drawing as seen here. Gerbe now lives between our dimension and that painting he was magically bound to. Noah Hanifin has reportedly expressed happiness in not having to pay rent now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->