Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Steve Mason (2 Years, $4.1M AAV)

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Pros:

- Help at the position of the greatest need
- Capable of playing as the starter, as opposed to Hellebuyck
- Absolutely perfect term (which also explains the higher AAV) for our cap structure
- Owns a dog
- Has a track record of putting up league average numbers

Cons:

- Coming off a down year
- A tad too expensive

The pros outweigh the cons here, massively. I love this signing.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Look at it this way:

Mason is the 24th highest paid goalie.

The last 4 years, even with this bad year, he is tied for 12th in SV%

Very good value signing.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
It's a fair deal. Not totally sure he'll play up to his ability for the duration of it, but he probably will.

For some reason when I read this I read it in Brad Pitts pikey voice from Snatch. Just thinking about the periwinkle blue carrrravan scene... lmao

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
4 mil for an experienced starter is pretty cheap. Not too long ago mason was one of the better goalies.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
I shouldn't be surprised that people think that $4M is big money for a player that has shown that he is, at worst, an average starter.

League average goaltending would have put us in the playoffs last year despite a record setting bad schedule, a very young group and a pile of injuries.As long as the term is good I really don't care what we pay him.As far as I'm concerned this is a very good signing.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Well I hope this puts Helle on notice- if he wasn't already.

I have Mason pegged as having a resurgent season away from Philly's D but I am surprised that he had enough leverage to command 4.1M per

C2BaoWYUQAAJz1n.jpg

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I like the term and it's definitely an improvement for us.

Can any Philly fans answer how does Mason handle the puck?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I like the term and it's definitely an improvement for us.

Can any Philly fans answer how does Mason handle the puck?

I already asked. He was really good when he started there but has declined. That might be systems related.

That's also one thing the Jets have been VERY weak on. It's something that should be improved systems wise.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I already asked. He was really good when he started there but has declined. That might be systems related.

That's also one thing the Jets have been VERY weak on. It's something that should be improved systems wise.

He's good at it but has gotten somewhat sloppy in recent years. Most of the time it's a strength still, just has the occasional lazy play that has you cursing under your breath. Most importantly, he's not scared to handle the puck, the way goalies that aren't good at handling the puck are scared to handle the puck.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He will be an upgrade for the Jets next year. Which tells you just how bad the Jets goaltending was. Journeyman Goalkeeper signed to a short contract while Jets continue to look for ways to improve their Goaltending. Probably as much as you want to spend.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Good luck in Winnipeg Mason.
He will probably like it up in the great white north, small market media and all.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Sitting here thinking to myself, shouldn't Chevy have gotten Mason for much cheaper then 4.1mil x2. The goalie market was kinda cornered off, Mason's options were limited and Philly wasn't resigning him.

Chevy overpriced Mason and way overpaid for Kulikov. If I were a fan of Winnipeg I wouldn't be happy with either deal Chevy signed.

Kevin Cheveldayoff maybe should have taken the day off on Saturday (July 1st).

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Sitting here thinking to myself, shouldn't Chevy have gotten Mason for much cheaper then 4.1mil x2. The goalie market was kinda cornered off, Mason's options were limited and Philly wasn't resigning him.

Chevy overpriced Mason and way overpaid for Kulikov. If I were a fan of Winnipeg I wouldn't be happy with either deal Chevy signed.

he was the only true starter. what were you going to pay him. he will play 60 games. its not going to kill the team very manageable contracts. its not like having 2 guys making over 8 million for multiple years that are worth half the price that can only score on the pp.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

It's a 2 year deal and they have 10.6M cap space still.

He made sure they got him, addressed teams biggest weakness.
I can't believe how 2x4 UFA contract can get negative comments.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

This is Winnipeg. We can't get good players on good contracts when it comes down to UFA's.

It's cold as F, taxes are high and the team have trouble making the playoffs. It's only because of the exciting future that we were even able to get these two guys.

Every time Chev brings in useful players, dumps the bad ones and fills our needs, i can't complain.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
This is Winnipeg. We can't get good players on good contracts when it comes down to UFA's.

It's cold as F, taxes are high and the team have trouble making the playoffs. It's only because of the exciting future that we were even able to get these two guys.

Every time Chev brings in useful players, dumps the bad ones and fills our needs, i can't complain.

Don't feed the trolls!

hurricanedave

Apr 19, 2012

Cool insight, what other offers did Mason have on the table?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Cool insight, what other offers did Mason have on the table?

Although hindsight is usually the only way to be certain as to when a deal flops, it seems reasonable to make an immediate assessment as to what deals will backfire or pay dividends.

This deal may not backfire but I don't see it paying for itself in dividends either.

Mason's contract wasn't one of the better ones signed this weekend I'll leave it at that. It's only two years anyway so if it doesn't work out then Chevy isn't on the hook long term. Winnipeg is content with the deal and I'm happy Mason gets to focus on his game with a good young team in front of him in a small market.

Mason has a good looking defense in front of him.
LD Enstrom RD Byfuglien
LD Morrissey RD Trouba
LD Kulikov RD Myers

If Mason has confidence issues in this market with this defense then maybe he could be considered a head case, two years time will tell.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->