Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Nic Petan re-signs with the Jets [1yr, $874,125]

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Petan strikes me as a guy who really just needs a chance to produce. In limited minutes with Wheeler, he's been good. When on the 4th line, not so much.
I agree. He is a victim of being on a good team with better options @ all forward spots. He's good but just not good enough to displace any of the top 6.

Reactions: north49er
Nov 24, 2006
It’s a good problem for an NHL team to have, too many better players ahead of him.

Gone are the Nik Antropovs and Kyle Wellwoods of the Jets 2.0. Petan would get playing time with guys like that still around.

One injury to the current Wpg top 6, and he’ll get his chance to play.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
It’s a good problem for an NHL team to have, too many better players ahead of him.

Gone are the Nik Antropovs and Kyle Wellwoods of the Jets 2.0. Petan would get playing time with guys like that still around.

One injury to the current Wpg top 6, and he’ll get his chance to play.
I actually think he's pretty similar to Wellwood. Hopefully he's got more desire to play hockey and can stick around longer, but their games are similar.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Petan strikes me as a guy who really just needs a chance to produce. In limited minutes with Wheeler, he's been good. When on the 4th line, not so much.

Basically, yeah. I really hope they play him with better players this year (i.e. in the top-9) - I think he can be good there but there's no point having him in the pressbox or as a grinder.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
solid depth, he'll continue to develop nicely in the ahl.

I kinda disagree with this. He dominates the AHL. What else does he have to learn there? At this point, he's gotta play in the NHL, or he's not.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wonder what will happen to him this year and if he can stick with the big club in the bottom 6 or if he needs a top6 roll to be effective. Or maybe he's just your AAAA player, i.e too good for AHL but not quite good enough to stick in the NHL.

Winnipeg is pretty loaded with guys like him, Appleton and Veslainen in their farm club.

Rangers, as many others, would be all over him if WPG sends him to Manitoba. They could use a guy like him to round out their organization and maybe even find a impact NHL player who can help them long term.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I actually think he's pretty similar to Wellwood. Hopefully he's got more desire to play hockey and can stick around longer, but their games are similar.

I was gonna say the same thing. His game looks like Kyle Wellwood 2.0 to me.

I'd love the Stars to get him. Not expecting a world beater but they badly need skill up front.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Would love him in Edmonton, I’m pretty sure that has been speculated a hundred times. A team that could use cheap wing depth. I think he’s going to end up being a decent second liner, I’m thinking that’s going to be somewhere other than Winnipeg though

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm looking forward to somewhat of a breakout season from Petan. I think he'll have a great camp and preseason and force his way into the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad