Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Laurent Brossoit signs with the Jets (1 year, $650K)

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I read Brossoit is a friend of Helle's & recently started working out with him @ Francilla's camp. It's biomechanics & energy control that affects motions used.
Hopefully it turns him around.

This line of thinking to sign a starters friend worked out great for the Oilers when they signed Labarbera to back-up Dubnyk. Nothing bad happened after that & we all lived happily ever after.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
This doesn't make much sense, if Helly struggles at all or gets hurt, Jets will be raked over the coals when they have to trade for a goalie. Surprised they didn't go after a cheap vet to keep mentoring Helly

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
This doesn't make much sense, if Helly struggles at all or gets hurt, Jets will be raked over the coals when they have to trade for a goalie. Surprised they didn't go after a cheap vet to keep mentoring Helly
It's day 2 of UFA season although the crop looks thin. Rosters are not set in stone @ this time.
After training camps odds are better could become available.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Idk. Whens the last time that a high price backup, or cheap vet actually worked out? I actually like the idea of the 650K backup.....whoever it might be.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Idk. Whens the last time that a high price backup, or cheap vet actually worked out? I actually like the idea of the 650K backup.....whoever it might be.

Ask Montreal how signing 650k backups worked out for them. You get what you pay for. The Jets are an injury to Helle away from being in contention to draft Hughes.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Ask Montreal how signing 650k backups worked out for them. You get what you pay for. The Jets are an injury to Helle away from being in contention to draft Hughes.
Good perfect timing.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Interesting signing, in that it probably signals the Jets are going to have one of those rare actual "goaltending battles" in camp, for that backup job. Whether Brossoit or Comrie actually wins the gig...they'll have a cheap backup if this is the route they go. Plus, a capable AHL starter as well.

I think the vitriol directed toward Brossoit for a disappointing year backup up on a very poor Oilers team is a bit extreme. He's still young in enough in goaltender years, and especially experience...and has always had some talent and potential. I'm not altogether confident the Oilers are the team to get the most out of a young, developing goaltender...on account of, they have been absolutely among the worst in the league at it over the last decade+ basically.

Absolute worst-case scenario coming out of camp if neither of Brossoit or Comrie has taken the mantle...there are always backup goaltenders that teams try to slip through waivers to stash depth who can be plucked away if you've got a spare roster spot in net.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
One year deal for Lehner or Lehtonen maybe? Not sure they want to go back to Mason or Pavelec. Trading for McElhinney or Pickard is an option. Comrie needs waivers next year, so it really needs to be a one year stopgap deal.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
He's actually a pretty decent goalie. His only problem was mental breakdowns late in the game. He was absolutely solid for the first 2 periods of most the games he played while Talbot was injured. Then for some reason, let in the worst goals I've ever seen in the 3rd period. There was one game where the Oilers were leading 6-1 against Calgary going into the 3rd. 12 minutes into the period it was 6-5.
That part of a goalie's game can be learned, polished and improved with the right teacher / teammates. I would bet a pretty penny that he's going to be a stud backup goalie in Winnipeg, wish him all the best

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
The problem with a 650k back up, no matter who you are, is that if your starter goes down for an extended period you are pretty well hooped. I wish this guy luck.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
You don’t need mentoring when you just finished #2 in vezina voting

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
You don’t need mentoring when you just finished #2 in vezina voting

If he gets the big deal we all expect, pressure will be there. Having a vet is never a bad thing. I'm sure they will get someone tho as this guy isn't an NHL goalie.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
He could benefit from strong defensive structure infront of him... but agreed that this looks not ideal.

Wonder if Pickard could be had from Toronto.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Not thrilled with the prospect of having Brossoit as the backup, but they can evaluate in camp and if neither him or Comrie show they are capable of playing backup they can always try to snag someone off of waivers.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
God help the Jets if he's the NHL backup.

Exactly. W T F are the Jets doing with their goalie situation? First they sign headcase Mason when any Flyers fan would've told them that was a mistake.

Then they have to give up Armia just to unload the last year of Mason's contract.

A couple weeks ago they have their choice of 20 goalies to back up Hellebuyck next year. Chevy sits on his ass while most of the decent goalies available are signed and then he signs Brossoit??? Khudobin, Picard, etc. were all available for the taking.

Comrie is brutal, Hutchinson rightly stormed off after having a good year in the AHL after he was overlooked for a spot on the Jets in place of Mason.

They better be planning on signing a legitimate NHL-quality goalie to back up or even push Hellebuyck, because otherwise you can kiss the season goodbye if Hellebuyck gets injured or craps the bed and you have to rely on Comrie or Brossoit as the starter.

This deal doesn't even seem to make sense for the Moose because a tandem of Comrie/Brossoit is going to give up a ton of bad goals. Demoralizing for a team with a bunch of young players.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I liked him when we had him in our system. I think he could still prove to be a backup in a more structured team than Edmonton defensively.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I liked him when we had him in our system. I think he could still prove to be a backup in a more structured team than Edmonton defensively.
I ready to give him the chance based on the fact Comrie looks to be the lesser choice.
I'd have preferred a trade for someone like Reimer but with cap $s scarce a 3.4 x 3 contract severly cuts into the amount to re-sign those RFAs including Helle, both sides of the top shutdown D pairing & the best defensive center in Lowry.
The cap is a fact of life & all Chevy can do is try to ice the best possible team.
The goalie pipeline looks pretty empty as well unless Mikkail Berdin turns out to be a hidden gem from the 2016 draft.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Whenever I see highlights of him playing, the goals he lets in look really bad on him. Doesn't seem like he is NHL level at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->