Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Laurent Brossoit signs with the Jets (1 year, $650K)

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I expect the Jets will go to training camp with him penciled in as the backup, then claim one of the guys put on waivers for opening day.

My guess is the have Comrie penciled in as the backup and Berdin penciled in to get most of the AHL min but they still need another goaltender in the AHL but that person also needs to double as an insurance policy for the big club.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
My guess is the have Comrie penciled in as the backup and Berdin penciled in to get most of the AHL min but they still need another goaltender in the AHL but that person also needs to double as an insurance policy for the big club.

Comrie will be nowhere near the NHL next season.

To be perfectly honest, I'll be very surprised if Comrie is ever an NHL backup.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Real good AHL goalie, but there are issues in his game at the nhl level (I feel like his movement is to slow for nhl level)
There is something there so maybe someone can help him find a way.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He has to drastically improve his puck tracking to ever be an NHL goalie.

Far too often he would get into position and just pray the puck hit him.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He was never able to adjust to the speed of NHL shots , his biggest fall back , really low risk at .650 k

GMpuckFan66

Jun 25, 2018
yeah. he was bad in Edmonton. Never felt confident with him in net.

Hope he can take the steps he needs to and can be better in WPG for you guys.
To be fair though, Edmonton has a history of making goalies worse. Piss poor team defense has killed dubnyk, talbot, and others. We'll see how he plays with the jets defense. At worst case it's a stop gap to give Comrie more time to develop

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He's awful most people other than the sunshine squad knew he was awful and our front office brain trust decided he was going to be the back up last year with no back up plan.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I expect Comrie to be our back-up, but LB is much... cheaper than Mason as we basically didn't need him, he was useful for boosting Hellebuyck's confidence.

Pokey Reddick 2.0

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
He played behind an atrocious, confidence-robbing, physically weak defense last year. He has upside, hopefully he follows Dubnyk’s path and has himself a career resurgence.
Not likely. Dubnyk played pretty good on some pretty bad Oilers teams unlike Laurent. His biggest problem was letting a weak goal in at the worst times. I wish nothing the best for Laurent but I think we have seen that he is not a NHL quality goalie.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Real good AHL goalie, but there are issues in his game at the nhl level (I feel like his movement is to slow for nhl level)
There is something there so maybe someone can help him find a way.
I read Brossoit is a friend of Helle's & recently started working out with him @ Francilla's camp. It's biomechanics & energy control that affects motions used.
Hopefully it turns him around.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I have nothing against Brossoit and I wish him the best, but I am glad he will never play for the Oilers again. I still have nightmares when he almost blew a 6-1 lead against the Flames in the third period of a game. Some of the worst goaltending I ever seen in the NHL. He was not much better the rest of his time here either, but if a team needs a minor league goalie he is young and cheap and can probably fill that role. Good attitude and works hard, so you never know, he still could have some potential down the road.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
That's pretty neat. Where did you read that?
It was mentioned in both Winnipeg newspapers (Sun & Free Press) as part of the story on the Brossiot signing.
Most of both articles was about the Jets not able to re-sign Stastny with a smaller story about the new probable backup. Mentioning the fact he & Helle are friends in now train together put it in a more possitive light I guess.
I just hope it works out as it did wonders for Helle & Dubnyk.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He’s athletic but I don’t think he tracks the puck well. Maybe it was more mental I dunno. I felt nervous when he was in the net. Oilers and Jets are two of my favourite teams but I don’t think its a good deal for them if they are planning on playing him in the nhl. I would pick another goaltender on 1 year for cheap for extra protection.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I wish him the best, but objectively speaking I wouldn't want him as an NHL backup -- I don't think he's all around good enough at this point, and may never be. I mean, maybe he's solid enough behind a better Jets defense, but I personally wouldn't gamble on it. Having said that, maybe he just needs a change of scenery, so we'll see how it all plays out. Either way, best of luck to LB.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018

Comrie is nowhere close to NHL ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad