Prospect Info: Wpg. Jets - Simon Borque

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
Can someone explain to me how come you guys sent to the Habs so much for an ''okay'' D prospect? From a habs fan perspective, I feel like we got much more from you than what we gave. There might be something that I'm missing. (Was it Armia's attitude problem?)

Ohh and I realize who is Steve Mason; he didn't have any value anyway...

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Can someone explain to me how come you guys sent to the Habs so much for an ''okay'' D prospect? From a habs fan perspective, I feel like we got much more from you than what we gave. There might be something that I'm missing. (Was it Armia's attitude problem?)

The purpose of the trade was purely to clear cap space. Bourque was just a contract dump (the Habs currently have 48 players under contract so they're close to the limit of 50). Don't remember any attitude problems with Armia.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Armia has an attitude allright, but I think its a good one. Still a really bad deal imo, but hard to know the details. Mason probably wanted out, perhaps Armia did too. Perhaps Chevy owed MB a favor. Perhaps it was related to a desperate attempt to sign Stastny....who knows.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We needed Mason gone just to sign our RFA's. Armia would have rightfully gotten a raise as well, and we needed to give something to get them to take Mason.
Armia would probably have been traded, in any case. They couldn't afford him at 1.7M this season.

Reactions: MardyBum

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Any chance Borque turns into a serviceable bottom-pairing NHL defenseman?

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

Armia was the cost for the Habs to take Mason and buy him out. (We can't/couldn't even have the hit from his buyout next year.) That cost us Armia, who is good, but replaceable for us. He was due a raise and we needed to move out a forward or else we'd lose either Petan or Dano to waivers. There wasn't an attitude problem.

We got Bourque back, as others have said, because the Habs needed to dump a contract because they were near the limit. I have no expectation that he'll ever play for the Jets. In fact I think he's kind of clogging up space with the Moose. Our current Left D situation is:

NHL:
Morrissey
Myers (apparently they're serious about playing him on his off side)
Kulikov
Morrow
Chiarot

Then we have in the AHL:
Niku (AHL Defenseman of the year)
Stanley
Schilling
Bourque

Other prospects:
Samberg

So unless Niku makes the Jets, probably most nights Bourque will be pressboxed with the Moose unless someone is playing on the Right side.

Last edited:

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Armia was the cost for the Habs to take Mason and buy him out. (We can't/couldn't even have the hit from his buyout next year.) That cost us Armia, who is good, but replaceable for us. He was due a raise and we needed to move out a forward or else we'd lose either Petan or Dano to waivers. There wasn't an attitude problem.

We got Bourque back, as others have said, because the Habs needed to dump a contract because they were near the limit. I have no expectation that he'll ever play for the Jets. In fact I think he's kind of clogging up space with the Moose. Our current Left D situation is:

NHL:
Morrissey
Myers (apparently they're serious about playing him on his off side)
Kulikov
Morrow
Chiarot

Then we have in the AHL:
Niku (AHL Defenseman of the year)
Stanley
Schilling
Bourque

Other prospects:
Samberg

So unless Niku makes the Jets, probably most nights Schilling will be pressboxed with the Moose unless someone is playing on the Right side.

You must mean Bourque is pressboxed. I don't think Schilling will be, he had 32 points last year, that's pretty good for a D. I'd imagine he plays ahead of Stanley too, at least at the beginning.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
You must mean Bourque is pressboxed. I don't think Schilling will be, he had 32 points last year, that's pretty good for a D. I'd imagine he plays ahead of Stanley too, at least at the beginning.

Schilling was actually an AHL allstar last year. they won't be press boxing him for Bourque and Stanley is going to play... one of the perks of owning your AHL franchise.

That was my bad. Meant Bourque but typed the wrong name.

Reactions: Oilpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad