Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets sign Matt Hendricks (1 year, $700K)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This is clearly a replacement for Chris Thorburn who was a well liked locker room guy.

Won't play much but will hopefully bring some attitude and drop the gloves every once in a while when he does get to play.

No problem with this signing. I mean we had like 8M in cap space anyway for next season.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Guys like Matt Hendricks find a home until they just can't go any more.

With Matt Hendricks you get a a solid citizen who'll put his heart and all he's got into pulling the wagon as long as he's on the wagon train.

Congrats to Matt.

Oh yeah he's got a shoot out move that's been effective in fooling goalies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I didn't realize Hendricks was 36 years old. Always thought he was 31-32

I think I know why this is - he didn't establish himself as an everyday NHLer until he was 27-28 years old.

Four full years of college, a year split between ECHL and AHL, then four full AHL seasons.

That's dedication.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Some teams seem to like vets as a 13th. Over 35 on the cap if waived though

If he is waived and assigned to AHL he counts nothing on the cap since he makes less than 925K. Also if he is waived for purposes of mutual termination he still wouldn't count against cap since 35+ contracts only matter when they are signed for more than one season.

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
From what I was reading (this could be totally wrong, I don't know a huge amount about the guy) he seems to be good at faceoffs. I would love if he could help mentor our crew with that if so!

"The six-foot, 207-pound centre led the Oilers for a second straight season with a 56.9 per cent faceoff winning percentage." This is the snippet that I read. Doesn't say the sample size of course.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That's a nice cheap contract there. IMO, he's worth every penny at that price. Where would he fit into the line-up ? 3rd or 4th line ?

Ideally he's your 13/14th forward, IMO.

Doesn't have the wheels or skill for the NHL anymore, but he's an awesome guy off the ice.

I think he was a big reason for the Oilers culture change. You couldn't just float around anymore with this guy giving it 110% every night.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Also, you can't forget this:

hendricks-tweet1.png

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
From what I was reading (this could be totally wrong, I don't know a huge amount about the guy) he seems to be good at faceoffs. I would love if he could help mentor our crew with that if so!

"The six-foot, 207-pound centre led the Oilers for a second straight season with a 56.9 per cent faceoff winning percentage." This is the snippet that I read. Doesn't say the sample size of course.
He took 232 faceoffs last season. The past two years he won 383 of 685 (55.9%), so he's pretty good when he takes them.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I don't understand that signing with Lemieux, Petan and Tanev looking for playing time...

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Well, someone has to say it: :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Disappointed the Jets decided to sign this trash to their team. They've got tons of winger depth and many young players that deserve time at the NHL level. Even if he plays on the Moose all year, what purpose does he serve? We'll see how he is used, but I'm assuming PoMo will use him more than most Jets' fans would like.

Not sure why some people seem to believe he is a good penalty killer:

Anyway, glad to see the hockey culture of, "If you hit my guy cleanly, I'm gonna hit your guy dirty" is still alive and well!!!

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Oil fan echoing the sentiment that you won't find a better teammate than this guy. Class act and hard worker. If he trained his butt off to regain some quickness he could still be effective as an energy guy on the 4th line. He'll keep the young guys honest in practice too. I see nothing but good in this signing, even if he only dresses 1/3 of the games.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Well, someone has to say it: :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Disappointed the Jets decided to sign this trash to their team. They've got tons of winger depth and many young players that deserve time at the NHL level. Even if he plays on the Moose all year, what purpose does he serve? We'll see how he is used, but I'm assuming PoMo will use him more than most Jets' fans would like.

Not sure why some people seem to believe he is a good penalty killer:

Anyway, glad to see the hockey culture of, "If you hit my guy cleanly, I'm gonna hit your guy dirty" is still alive and well!!!

One of the highlights of his career is when Thornton and McQuaid both went after him and he tried to cower away from Thornton only to be beaten by McQuaid.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
One of the highlights of his career is when Thornton and McQuaid both went after him and he tried to cower away from Thornton only to be beaten by McQuaid.

He's a real class act:

"I'm not gonna fight, I'm not gonna fight". Then he jumps you...

Shaw didn't even have one his gloves off during his fight

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Not sure if Hendricks fits into the enforcer category but seems like almost every team has atleast 1 on the NHL roster or as a reserve from the AHL.

Hendricks legs are gone. He's gonna have a tough time keeping up with the plays in the NHL.
Hendo should start in the AHL can't see him beating out Petan, Conner, Tanev or Roslovic for a spot on Winnipeg's roster.

Chevy probably would have been better off signing someone that could still be effective in the NHL like Desjardins, Parenteau, Winnik, Upshall, Fiddler, Zolnierczyk or White.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
His signing is fine... no problem.

It's his usage that could be an issue.

Local radio updates today referred to him as a PKer despite stats showing he's not that good in that area.

Hopefully with the Moose or super glued to the press box until injuries force him into play. If he gets the "Thorburn treatment" and plays 50+ games then I'll be very worried.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If he is waived and assigned to AHL he counts nothing on the cap since he makes less than 925K. Also if he is waived for purposes of mutual termination he still wouldn't count against cap since 35+ contracts only matter when they are signed for more than one season.

if thats the case, how come andrew hammond being burried in the minors costs 325,000 against ottawa's cap if his cap hit is 1,350,000? shouldn't his burried cap cost be 425,000?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad