Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets sign Dominic Toninato (1 year, $700k)

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
The new Logan Shaw or Seth Griffith? I think it’s a Moose thing

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Was a Leafs prospect. I’m blown away that someone thinks he’s an NHLer. There had to be someone better.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Two way contract, I'd be shocked if he played a game for us.

He played 46 for the Panthers last year, and 3 playoff games. I'd be surprised if he is not in the opening day roster, with Perreault being a real question mark to play. 4th line energy guy.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He played 46 for the Panthers last year, and 3 playoff games. I'd be surprised if he is not in the opening day roster, with Perreault being a real question mark to play. 4th line energy guy.

Yeah but the Panthers had poor center depth last season. There's a reason they didn't bring him back. If this guy is in your top 12 you have problems.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yeah but the Panthers had poor center depth last season. There's a reason they didn't bring him back. If this guy is in your top 12 you have problems.

They had Barkov/Trochek then Haula/Accari/so that's a 4th line centre playing with another 4th line centre, slow as molasses in Brian Boyle.

Probably plays wing in Winnipeg. Behind Jansen Harkins and possibly Perreault if he can play, but Perreault might be the RW depth if the Jets want to go that way. Jets will take their time with Vesalainen.

After trotting out G. Bourque/N. Shore/L. Shaw as a 4th line for 3 consecutive games in the playins, a change of personnel will be nice.

Seems like another Minnesota guy who might just like playing in Winnipeg.

Reactions: Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
With his name he shoulda been a Leaf.

Edit: He was a Leafs draft pick. Honestly I'm surprised I've never heard of him considering the club who drafted him.
When he finished college the Leafs liked him and offered him a minor league deal because they were short on contract spots. No hard feelings, but he said no thanks and found a two-way NHL contract elsewhere -- with Colorado.

He's bounced between Colorado, Florida and their AHL affiliates since then, but hasn't really caught on and found his spot. Maybe Winnipeg will do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
They had Barkov/Trochek then Haula/Accari/so that's a 4th line centre playing with another 4th line centre, slow as molasses in Brian Boyle.

Probably plays wing in Winnipeg. Behind Jansen Harkins and possibly Perreault if he can play, but Perreault might be the RW depth if the Jets want to go that way. Jets will take their time with Vesalainen.

After trotting out G. Bourque/N. Shore/L. Shaw as a 4th line for 3 consecutive games in the playins, a change of personnel will be nice.

Seems like another Minnesota guy who might just like playing in Winnipeg.

Trocheck was bad last season, he was also injured a bit. Q didn't like Borgstrom, so they sent him to the ahl even though he had been penciled in as the 3rd line center. Then they signed Boyle. But he was also injured for awhile. Acciari was moved to the wing to shake things up when the Panthers cooled off from their hot start. I believe this was when Toninato was called up.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
He is very skilled IMO, but we didn't have a spot for him. i was very high on him when he was in the prospect camps but after the recent draft picks in Matthews, marner and so on so forth, and his commitment to college, it didn't work for us. I think he'll be a third line with a good skill to offer.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
When he entered the league he was billed as a potential #4C. Really nothing there offensively, but provides energy. I feel he never really developed his defensive game.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I remember being deep in the Leaf prospect rabbit hole back in the day and starving for a capable center.(Him and Verhaeghe both) Never really hit the mark, I was hoping they would with us.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Don't know anything about that guy, although his name rings a bell
EJilFskWoAAq_S8.jpg:large

Reactions: jetsforever

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Decent journey man depth guy. Glad to see he's been able to carve out an nhk career

Agreed. I'm not from Duluth, but I still loved watching him carve teams up playing for Duluth East. I didn't even realize he was still in the NHL, but it looks like he's just had his best season. I hope he can build on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad