Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets re-sign Mathieu Perreault (4 years, $4.125M AAV)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
100% agreed. Very happy to get 4 more years of MP, and the price is good IMO.

Another reason why I like this deal, the cap hit and term is movable if the Jets need to be sellers one day. Perrault would be very useful to a contending team. I think the Jets are trending the right way, and this option will likely be not available. But if the wheels fell off in the next 4 years. This contract is movable.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
50 point guy /82 games, slot in anywhere. But do the jets REALLY need him, (laine,little,connor,scheifele,ehlers,wheeler) could've put the 4 mil into a dman or a trouba extension.

I'd feel better describing a player as a 50 point / 82 game guy if he ever hit 50 points or played 82 games. Neither of which he's been close to so far in his NHL career.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Whether he plays 60 or 70 games he's probably going to be good for 40 points...

40 points is significant to some degree... but isn't this a bit of an overpayment?

Meh... I guess $4 mil is about right. He's ok. Decent deal.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'd feel better describing a player as a 50 point / 82 game guy if he ever hit 50 points or played 82 games. Neither of which he's been close to so far in his NHL career.

Well this is the year that the Jets have some actual depth to their scoring talent. Much of last season MP was weighted down by non top 6 players (Burmi, Thorburn etc...). This year he's either riding shotgun with Little and Laine or centering a 3rd line that should feature Kyle Connor. Either way I see him hitting the high end of his points.

In 2015 he had a 4 goal game (almost had a 5th goal but hit the post... it cost a fan a million dollars on a contest). If he plays 70 games and stays in the top 6 then we could see him hit career highs.

Plus he does so much more than score.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Well this is the year that the Jets have some actual depth to their scoring talent. Much of last season MP was weighted down by non top 6 players (Burmi, Thorburn etc...). This year he's either riding shotgun with Little and Laine or centering a 3rd line that should feature Kyle Connor. Either way I see him hitting the high end of his points.

In 2015 he had a 4 goal game (almost had a 5th goal but hit the post... it cost a fan a million dollars on a contest). If he plays 70 games and stays in the top 6 then we could see him hit career highs.

I have to admit im really intrigued by the Jets this upcoming season. Laine, Ehlers and Connor will be fun to watch develop. Now just go back to your 90s jerseys please!

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Pretty sure that it says something when the fans that actually watch him the most are very happy with the contract.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Those that say he's overrated either haven't been watching or are envious that he's no longer on their team. He can play PP or PK, 1st or 3rd line. Play centre or wing. Uses the body and is tenacious on the puck. Top 5 puck handler in the league. Yes he's not 6' 3' 210 but he plays like it.

These are UFA years and he loves playing in Winnipeg. Need I say more?

Good deal for both sides!

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I doubt there is any Jets fan that is upset with this.

Love this deal.
Love the player.
Plays like he's a foot taller than he really is.
Besides the 4 goal game against Fla , I loved his broken stick shoot out winner.
Wily veteran, great stick handler and very high hockey IQ
To the few detractors out there
Why you heff to be mad

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If he can actually play more then 3/4 of the season jets are stoked

I am blown away that a player that is always hurt, or playing hurt, gets a contract like this.

That and the fact that he is awesome for about 20 games a season then produces nothing for the rest of the games he manages to play in.

It's like being a left-handed picture in baseball I guess, some idiot GM will always pay you because you are a "spark plug" type player.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I am blown away that a player that is always hurt, or playing hurt, gets a contract like this.

That and the fact that he is awesome for about 20 games a season then produces nothing for the rest of the games he manages to play in.

It's like being a left-handed picture in baseball I guess, some idiot GM will always pay you because you are a "spark plug" type player.

image.jpg

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Personally, I think he's worth about 3.600 because he's often injured, but would be closer to 5.000 if he was always healthy. This is kind of right in the middle, so it's probably fair.

As for UFA's... I think it's generally a good idea to overpay up to about 0.500/year if they are important to the team. That's an amount that can be saved elsewhere, and MP does make the Jets a better team.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Personally, I think he's worth about 3.600 because he's often injured, but would be closer to 5.000 if he was always healthy. This is kind of right in the middle, so it's probably fair.

As for UFA's... I think it's generally a good idea to overpay up to about 0.500/year if they are important to the team. That's an amount that can be saved elsewhere, and MP does make the Jets a better team.

Sound accurate to what I'm thinking about Matty P. and I'm a fan of his game.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Perreault produces 40+ year in and year out, if he's doing that in only 20 games a year damn it's too bad he never plays 82

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Whether he plays 60 or 70 games he's probably going to be good for 40 points...

40 points is significant to some degree... but isn't this a bit of an overpayment?

Not when you tale into account that he is an elite possesion player that can play on any line 1-3.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

A very good point. Winnipeg did the same as Chicago last year with Anisimov: lock the guy up in case something magical happens. Obviously Perreault won't have Kanes or Panarins next to him, but on a smaller scale, it might be better this way.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

^^^^^ this is really the key if you watch him night in night out. He scores well but more than that he is a possession/shot generating/shot suppression machine. With the on slot of young scoring talent onboarding to the Jets roster what the team needs is veteran depth possession players and that is MP to a tee. He shelters all line mates well which will come in handy for the young guns.

Could Matt be more durable......yes but he plays a pretty in your face game so he earns his injuries honestly :laugh:. Is his forechecking and defensive pressure game being grossly underrated on this thread? It appears it is because that is what separates him from the comps he is getting.

Jets fans love to complain so there is a legitimate reason this signing is almost overwhelmingly being welcomed by our fan base warts (durability) and all. We are eyes wide open but big picture he fits our needs like a glove.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->