Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets re-sign Mathieu Perreault (4 years, $4.125M AAV)

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I like this, Perreault can play anywhere in our lineup and makes his linemates better. I'd rather keep him than Stafford as a vet presence moving forward as well.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Doesn't seem like a great deal nor a bad one, just fair and there's nothing wrong with that. I do like Perreault, even more than my Jet buddies do so it'll be interesting to hear how they view it.

schelstatic

Jul 20, 2010
Good news!

Plus, he holds the all-time NHL record for best team headshot picture, ever.

8473618.jpg

He looks like a scary hypnotist there.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/photo.php?if=duncan-siemens-2016-690.jpg

zsam

Mar 26, 2016
Winnipeg
Soooooo Andrew Shaw who is a pretty comparable player who will probably make a bit less points but has more intangibles (grit, agitator) got a contract of $3.9M for 6 year which has been called a terrible contract.

But Perreault who is 4 years older and looks to be more injury prone got a $4.1M contract and people say its a great signing?

Must be the Habs hate right....

Why do we need to compare it at all? Jets fans overwhelmingly welcome this contract. We believe it is a good value signing. The end of story. Like it or not Perreault is Jets for 5 more years.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Doesn't seem like a great deal nor a bad one, just fair and there's nothing wrong with that. I do like Perreault, even more than my Jet buddies do so it'll be interesting to hear how they view it.

Yeah, I think it is a fair deal.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Except for production, age, RFA/UFA status, shot metrics, role and playing style...

I mean, I guess they are both below average height for NHL players.

Well to
Be fair... Production is not that far off and I believe shaw bought 3 years of ufa with that deal.. So technically..but you are right he is younger and a proven playoff performer

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Shaw needs to be with a player like Perreault to have a chance to produce.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Except for production, age, RFA/UFA status, shot metrics, role and playing style...

I mean, I guess they are both below average height for NHL players.

I felt that thy were comparable being both 3rd line center that can play some top 6 minutes on both wings.

Anyway, my point is that if Perreault's deal is a good one, Shaw's deal should be a good one also.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I like this move! Reasons:

- we get him for the rest of his prime (age 28-32)
- he plays all FW positions
- gives all out hustle and plays as physical as possible for a small player
- is a great teammate and leader which is needed on a young Jets team
- leads by example with a consistant hard working effort
- can move around from 1st line to 3rd and won't complain if he plays in the bottom 6

All he needs to do is have a bit better luck with injuries and he'll be a valuable producer on this team.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Perreault needs guys like shaw in his line to produce ?

Stafford needs guys to help him produce whereas Perreault is the opposite, he tends to be the play driver on his line. Honestly I can't speak to Shaw but I am not sure why there seems to be a competition between Shaw and MP?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Well to
Be fair... Production is not that far off and I believe shaw bought 3 years of ufa with that deal.. So technically..but you are right he is younger and a proven playoff performer

Perreault is clearly superior in point production, P/60, and shot metrics. But Shaw is an agitator.

Again, don't really see the comparison being drawn. Feels like a flimsy attempt to justify a contract you're insecure about. Just weird to me.

I felt that thy were comparable being both 3rd line center that can play some top 6 minutes on both wings.

Anyway, my point is that if Perreault's deal is a good one, Shaw's deal should be a good one also.

That sounds like a conclusion that can only be drawn if one agrees that they are equally good players. Seems questionable otherwise.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Perreault is clearly superior in point production, P/60, and shot metrics. But Shaw is an agitator.

Again, don't really see the comparison being drawn. Feels like a flimsy attempt to justify a contract you're insecure about. Just weird to me.

That sounds like a conclusion that can only be drawn if one agrees that they are equally good players. Seems questionable otherwise.

Seems High for me for a player who is barely more productive then shaw and less productive then desharnais

And I'm talking about entire career not one year

But if jets fans like it that's awesome!

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Think this will be Bonino's circle back to comparable when his contract is up. Good deal for both, he seems to fit the Jets well.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
50 point guy /82 games, slot in anywhere. But do the jets REALLY need him, (laine,little,connor,scheifele,ehlers,wheeler) could've put the 4 mil into a dman or a trouba extension.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Perreault needs guys like shaw in his line to produce ?

No

Perreault can produce with anyone. Normalize last years goals to his historical sh% or even league average sh% and see what happens. Heck even do that to one of those fancy graphs in this thread.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
50 point guy /82 games, slot in anywhere. But do the jets REALLY need him, (laine,little,connor,scheifele,ehlers,wheeler) could've put the 4 mil into a dman or a trouba extension.

We have space, and he's the top 6W to insulate rookies or our 3C helping out guys like Connor/Armia/Dano/Petan as he's a possession driver.

He's what you want playing with your young players.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Honestly I hear what you are saying but we can use him because he can slot in anywhere. Having Stafford at $4.25 million this season is a waist because Dano can fill that role of RW on the 3rd line. MP is different it is his versatility that works and he is such a good possession player he can shelter rookies. I like the fit with a young team.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Whether he plays 60 or 70 games he's probably going to be good for 40 points...

40 points is significant to some degree... but isn't this a bit of an overpayment?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->